U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM
 
3 posts, read 6,709 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hey everyone.
We are relocating from the Mid-West to Orange County in a month or two. I have very limited time to go house hunting so I am trying to get all the info I can get over the internet and from my realtor and people living there. I am leaning towards RSM or Ladera. Seems like we can get a house in a great school district for around 650.000.
Can you give me pros and cons of both towns and suggest any other interesting options for me

My three most important things are.

1. Top rated school districts.
2. Commute for my husband, he will be working in Foothill Ranch.
3. Neighborhood amenities, so we can spend a lot of time outdoors and my dd's will have a chance to meet new friends.


Thanks for your time and help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 83,036,714 times
Reputation: 17516
I would think RSM would be an easier drive to FR.
LR is closer to the 5 freeway (for drives other than to FR).
FR itself is very nice.
LR has a lot of amenities for the $200+/month HOA while RSM has lots of SAMLARC amenities.
LR is a little newer than most of RSM.
Both are excellent places to live for families with all sorts of sports and weekend activities.
Both are very safe.
Most of Ladera's "three car garages" are tandem - meaning it is two cars wide with one stall two cars deep. That was sort of a turn off for me as that third space is for kids junk and storage and workbenches and I didn't like the idea of dragging bikes from the deep third car space out past the parked cars (and scratching them). I like my 2 + 1 wide garage - all in parallel.
A lot of Ladera's lots are on the small side at that price range.

There are other places besides those too: Mission Viejo, Las Flores, Wagon Wheel, Coto de Caza, and Irvine for example.

We were about in your shoes a year ago. We had offers on homes in RSM, Ladera Ranch and Las Flores. One was a short sale, one was a REO and then the Las Flores standard sale came up and it was exactly what we wanted: flat street, end of the cul de sac.

Here's a thread for you:

Useful Househunting tools

Is renting an option for one year? Do you have to buy now? We have four kids so I understand the reluctance to move twice and probably change schools twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM
 
394 posts, read 830,839 times
Reputation: 184
FR is very nice. Mostly newer construction, adjacent to the wilderness park, close to Modjeska Canyon and the cool areas there. Just be sure to check for HOA and Mello-Roos costs when buying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 02:00 PM
 
4 posts, read 9,103 times
Reputation: 10
Greetings, We have a house up for rent in RSM for 2,800/month. 4 BD/3 BA. It is at a prime-location - across the city lake, pool, hiking trail, 5 mins walk to Elementary school, 2 mins to grocery and 15 mins to Ladera Ranch. Our school district has superb rating. Since my children are both getting promoted to a grade level and into another school, we'd like to take the year or more to experience another location. Renting may be a good direction for you to get to know the area.

But, if you are planning to buy, RSM is a wonderful place to be. As from your previous comments, beware of the HOAs. Ours is feasible at less than $60 and my street is the friendliest, by far. Unless if you desire the exclusive neighborhood such as Coto De Caza, Dove Canyon or Robinson Ranch, at 650, you will find many decent homes less than 500, right now. Let me know if I can be of help to your search.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnatz View Post
Hey everyone.
We are relocating from the Mid-West to Orange County in a month or two. I have very limited time to go house hunting so I am trying to get all the info I can get over the internet and from my realtor and people living there. I am leaning towards RSM or Ladera. Seems like we can get a house in a great school district for around 650.000.
Can you give me pros and cons of both towns and suggest any other interesting options for me

My three most important things are.

1. Top rated school districts.
2. Commute for my husband, he will be working in Foothill Ranch.
3. Neighborhood amenities, so we can spend a lot of time outdoors and my dd's will have a chance to meet new friends.


Thanks for your time and help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
 
25 posts, read 45,536 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesElliH View Post
Greetings, We have a house up for rent in RSM for 2,800/month. 4 BD/3 BA. It is at a prime-location - across the city lake, pool, hiking trail, 5 mins walk to Elementary school, 2 mins to grocery and 15 mins to Ladera Ranch. Our school district has superb rating. Since my children are both getting promoted to a grade level and into another school, we'd like to take the year or more to experience another location. Renting may be a good direction for you to get to know the area.

But, if you are planning to buy, RSM is a wonderful place to be. As from your previous comments, beware of the HOAs. Ours is feasible at less than $60 and my street is the friendliest, by far. Unless if you desire the exclusive neighborhood such as Coto De Caza, Dove Canyon or Robinson Ranch, at 650, you will find many decent homes less than 500, right now. Let me know if I can be of help to your search.
Hi there
could you let me know what Elementary school is nearby, we had our minds set on moving to ladera and then i looked into RSM a little closer and now I'm trying to figure out, which one we prefer. I like the idea of being able to walk my children to school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,892 times
Reputation: 10
Default Ladera has better schools!

Ladera Ranch's schools are the best in the school district. Chaparral and Ladera Ranch Elementary schools both have the top API scores in the district (Capistrano Unified School District). Oso Grande Elementary is not far behind. Also, the middle school is the best in the district.

Ladera is very family oriented and much more new. While RSM is closer to Foothill, it is very inland and hot there. Also, there are many more apartments out that way compared to Ladera.

Just know that in Ladera, you will pay an additional tax called Melloroose. It goes towards the new roads, schools, and parks in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
 
25 posts, read 45,536 times
Reputation: 10
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
 
575 posts, read 1,599,043 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bournazian View Post
Ladera has better schools!
You might want to preface that with IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bournazian View Post
Ladera Ranch's schools are the best in the school district. Chaparral and Ladera Ranch Elementary schools both have the top API scores in the district (Capistrano Unified School District). Oso Grande Elementary is not far behind. Also, the middle school is the best in the district.

Ladera is very family oriented and much more new. While RSM is closer to Foothill, it is very inland and hot there. Also, there are many more apartments out that way compared to Ladera.

Just know that in Ladera, you will pay an additional tax called Melloroose. It goes towards the new roads, schools, and parks in the area.

Regarding the part I bolded: as do Arroyo Vista and Tijeras Creek, both also in CUSD, and both located in RSM.

SVUSD also has schools with comparable API scores. Not that API scores are the be all, end all consideration in choosing a school... IMO.

Honestly I think there are plenty of good schools to choose from in most locales in the area; that includes Ladera Ranch, RSM, Foothill Ranch, Trabuco Canyon, Mission Viejo, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 AM
 
29 posts, read 70,616 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesElliH View Post
Greetings, We have a house up for rent in RSM for 2,800/month. 4 BD/3 BA. It is at a prime-location - across the city lake, pool, hiking trail, 5 mins walk to Elementary school, 2 mins to grocery and 15 mins to Ladera Ranch. Our school district has superb rating. Since my children are both getting promoted to a grade level and into another school, we'd like to take the year or more to experience another location. Renting may be a good direction for you to get to know the area.

But, if you are planning to buy, RSM is a wonderful place to be. As from your previous comments, beware of the HOAs. Ours is feasible at less than $60 and my street is the friendliest, by far. Unless if you desire the exclusive neighborhood such as Coto De Caza, Dove Canyon or Robinson Ranch, at 650, you will find many decent homes less than 500, right now. Let me know if I can be of help to your search.
DesElliH: How do you like the elementary school; what is the name? What high school is your neighborhood in? What can you tell me about kids activities, sports and park district programs there? We are in the exact same boat as previous poster and relocating from Chicago. I'm trying to narrow down my search to San Clemente, LR and RSM. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 05:28 AM
 
80 posts, read 255,344 times
Reputation: 21
Looks like several of us are in the same boat.

I think we're gonna need a bigger boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:00 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top