Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:28 PM

80 posts, read 306,864 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I know that a few forum members here suggest going with Tesoro over San Juan Hills (if possible) but I'm looking for a bit more info.

For example, some detailed reasons explaining WHY Tesoro is suggested over SJH would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any opposing comments, I'd love to hear your input and opinions as well.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM

298 posts, read 627,846 times
OK, here goes. I have some pretty strong opinions on the schools you are researching. I have a child currently at Tesoro HS and Ladera Ranch Middle School. If all of Ladera had been zoned for SJHHS and we were forced to attend there we would have moved. I don't feel SJHHS is built in a safe location. There are too many environmental issues. The dump is probably at most a 1/4 mile away. I researched how dumps operate and eventually, whether the dump was lined well or not, the liner leaks and the methane, which is created from the trash, leaks into the nearby soil. I am not an authority on dumps, but methane which is explosive, makes me nervous. One gang banger being funny and dropping a cigarette in the venting coming out of the homes due to be built, and kaboom. Also power lines are extremely close. While the school was being built they kept changing the guidelines as to how far they needed to be from the school. I read the EIR report and the district was given several exemptions on this issue and the school was built much closer to the power lines than originally intended. From what I understand there is still one baseball field that is not used because it is too close to the power lines. There is also a gas line that goes along the edge of the school. There are 2 rival gangs zoned to SJHHS. This is the first time both gangs have been zoned for 1 school. My childs best friend attended SJHHS the first semester of this year and was very unhappy. She transfered to Tesoro for second semester and is very happy. When asking what the difference was she first says that the kids at Tesoro are much more positive and friendly. There was a lot of tension at SJHHS. She said there was a fight after school every day. I think I've heard of one fight all year at Tesoro. I think boys have an easier time at SJHHS than girls because they may have thicker skin. The person we know felt like she always had to watch her back. On the positive side it is easier to get on sports teams at SJHHS. Up until this time SJHHS has not been able to use their football field and did not have a swimming pool. I think both will be in by next year. I do think if your child is in the advanced classes at SJHHS they have an easier time socially and are somewhat sheltered. What we like about Tesoro: The academics are great and teachers are mostly excellent. Compare the test scores on greatschools.org. Our friend also said that Tesoro was academically more difficult than SJHHS. Tesoro has so much school spirit and has a lot to offer in extracurricular activities. The most difficult sports to make are probably soccer and baseball but not impossible. If they don't make these teams there is more than enough other sports to try out for. The kids are very driven at Tesoro and it's cool to be smart and successful. Tesoro also has an incredible music and drama dept. My child is not involved in those dept. but from friends comments theya re always winning national awards and are ranked very high. When adding everything up I didn't see any downside to Tesoro but saw several things I wasn't comfortable with at SJHHS. The downside you will hear others mention about Tesoro is that it is a big drug school. I'm sure it's there but it is nipped in the bud so fast it is never noticed. I did have a friend whose son attended SJHHS it's first year and he was bullied so badly and harassed every day by kids trying to get him to buy drugs. He was terrified and at Tesoro by Christmas. So drugs are probably at both schools. If the security guards are any indication of the safety at each school, there are 4 full time guards at SJHHS and 1 part time guard at Tesoro. I just couldn't see having my child attend a school so they could play a sport but put their safety at risk. Sorry to be so negative about SJHHS but I really wish that school would have been built in a better location and this division would never have been an issue.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 AM

29 posts, read 83,570 times
loveorangecounty, do you have any advice about san clemente high school and mission viejo. We are also relocating to the OC and work at home (so there is no commute). We are also looking at Talega vs. Ladera Ranch. To the orignal poster, how far is "far" for the shopping etc in Talega vs. LR? Is Talega really isolated? Also what about the home values, etc. in LR; it seems to be really hit hard with short sales, foreclosures. I'd love your opinion because we are exactly in the same boat? Our kids are 11 years old and younger. Thanks!!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago5 View Post
how far is "far" for the shopping etc in Talega vs. LR?

Google Maps

Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
what about the home values, etc. in LR; it seems to be really hit hard with short sales, foreclosures.
It's not just Ladera but any homes built in California (and Neveda and Florida) during that period.

Welcome to Zombieland: Ladera Ranch, California - CNN Dec. 7, 2010

The thing is, if you drive around Ladera, you'd never know or get a feel for the economic troubles there.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
OK, here goes...
WOW, thank you so much for the detailed report!

Just a couple of questions for you, please:

A) Can you CHOOSE which high school you want your kids to go to if you live in Ladera? Or is it ONLY based on where in Ladera you live?

B) And if you CAN choose, why would anyone choose SJHHS?

By the way, we are also thinking about Talega. Got any reports on that high school?

Thanks again!

Quote:
To the orignal poster, how far is "far" for the shopping etc in Talega vs. LR? Is Talega really isolated?
I'll answer your question in my other thread, here.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Chicago5: I don't have a wealth of knowledge about Mission or San Clemente High School but both have good reputations. Both are older schools and San Clemente is probably more crowded than Mission. San Clementes freshman attend classes at an old elementary school which is "up the hill" because there is not enough classrooms. We spend a lot of time at Mission due to a sports club my child is involved with and we had a couple of meets at San Clemente this year. If I had to choose between Mission or San Clemente I would go with Mission but really I think either is fine.

SoundsGood2:
A) Can you choose to go to either school, Tesoro or San Juan Hills? If the schools are not impacted then yes you can choose to go to either school. This year both schools were open. This is one of the first years that Tesoro had room for open enrollment.

B) Why would anyone choose SJHHS? That is my question exactly. I guess I just don't get it. A big reason is for sports, especially boys. They can probably make any team at SJHHS but keep in mind the teams have not been very good yet. Maybe that will change with time. The other reason I hear a lot are friends. Ladera is not a 50/50 split from the middle school. It is supposed to be 2/3 to 1/3. There are 3 elementary schools in Ladera. Kids zoned for Chaparral Elementary are zoned for Tesoro. Ladera Ranch Elementary and Oso Grande Elementary are zoned for SJHHS. And even then some "Chaparrel kids" choose to go to SJHHS because that is where the majority of kids go from the middle school. I literally counted how many Ladera kids went to Tesoro this year. There were probably
300-350 kids graduating from the middle school, only 50 - 60 Ladera kids are attending Tesoro as freshman. Keep in mind that the other 200-250 kids did not all go to SJHHS. There are several private schools in the area and the kids split between several schools. In my opinion this is the biggest downside to living in Ladera, having the kids split up in middle school. If I remember correctly, in all of CUSD, there are only 2 middle schools that don't continue on to the same high school and Ladera Ranch Middle is one. My kids have never wanted to go to SJHHS and welcomed the chance to meet new kids. Some people also think that Tesoro is thought of as a "rich" school and the Coto de Caza familys run everything. I haven't run into that at all. I was told all the kids drive BMW's and Mercedes, so not true. I think the most common car I see there is Ford Expedition. Also some Ladera parents wanted to open the "new" school (SJHHS) and be able to implement things how they wanted from the ground up. Since you are from out of state this may be something that seems unusual. This is a strong Mormon area (we are not Mormon). I think the Mormon kids attend both schools but it may be higher at Tesoro. The reason I am bringing this up is that they are the nicest group of kids. I hate to generalize but seriously they are great and add to the positive aspects I like about Tesoro.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Once again, an excellent post from loveorangecounty! And once again, thank you very much!

I have another question for you, if you don't mind. Actually, two:

1. I've seen mentioned more than once that there are unattractive and potentially dangerous power lines running through and/or around Ladera Ranch. True?

2. I also noticed something about a dump (or landfill?) in the area. True?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 PM

SoundsGood2:

1. Yes, there are power lines which run along the outer edges of Ladera. They do cross over the community in some spots but there are many homes that are not affected at all. My house is probably a good mile from any power lines and are not visable at all.

2. Yep, the dump is about a 1/4 mile from SJHHS. I don't know how far Talega is on the other side but I've heard it's pretty close. Like I said in a previous post once La Pata Rd opens, which is in the plans, Talega kids will be zoned for SJHHS. The dump is about 6 miles from where I live in Ladera. There is no odor in Ladera associated with the dump. Starting from north to south is: Ladera, SJHHS, Dump then Talega.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
1. Yes, there are power lines which run along the outer edges of Ladera. They do cross over the community in some spots but there are many homes that are not affected at all.
I was looking at a picture of this great water park for the kids, then noticed a bunch of power lines in the background. Seemed like an odd mix (kids water park and power lines). I guess I'll see when we're out there!

Quote:
2. Yep, the dump is about a 1/4 mile from SJHHS. I don't know how far Talega is on the other side but I've heard it's pretty close. Like I said in a previous post once La Pata Rd opens, which is in the plans, Talega kids will be zoned for SJHHS. The dump is about 6 miles from where I live in Ladera. There is no odor in Ladera associated with the dump. Starting from north to south is: Ladera, SJHHS, Dump then Talega.
I just found it on a map. I had thought it was immediately next to Ladera, but I guess not. That's a relief. I was thinking "Power lines AND a dump??"

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County