Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 61,136 times

Advertisements

I just spent a few days at Disneyland with my girlfriend. I used to go to Disney World when I was young up until about 16 years old every year, for at least 2 weeks at a time, but not been to a Disney park since.

Perhaps I'm just ranting, but what is up with the overly long lines and grossly obese people? I'm not a Disney shareholder (just not a play I've liked yet), but obviously ticket and food pricing is way to low to have hour plus lines on many of the rides, even on a weekday. I'd hope that Disney uses a sophisticated algorithm to determine ticket and food pricing, but seriously doubting they do. I'd bet that prices could be more than doubled, both at the gate and restaurants so you could shed some of the wait time, but increase the overall bottom line. I'd gladly pay multiple times more for a less crowded - less wait time experience.

With that said, why does it seem like the parks have become so full of grossly overweight people? I personally feel people can do whatever they want to themselves but these fat slobs unfairly burden the motivated class with higher taxes and insurance premiums if they can't afford their own healthcare. Anyways, back to these people at Disney... I've never seen so many guts hanging below t-shirts, encountered such horrible body odor, and sense of entitlement to ride their handicap scooters to the exit line in order to skip the more fit masses waiting forever. I have no problem with a disabled vet or even a kid born with a disability getting to cut the line due to their issue, but not someone that clearly never missed a meal and can hardly fit in the ride seat.

Out of curiosity I looked at YouTube videos from just a couple of decades ago to compare people walking around Disney. A fat person from then would easily be considered average today, and a moderately obese person of today would have been a county fair attraction back then. Also, I'm not trying to sound racist, but I don't think I saw a single Hispanic female that wasn't at least 50 lbs overweight, and wearing anything but clothing 4x to small for her size.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:27 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsofQ's View Post
I just spent a few days at Disneyland with my girlfriend. I used to go to Disney World when I was young up until about 16 years old every year, for at least 2 weeks at a time, but not been to a Disney park since.

Perhaps I'm just ranting, but what is up with the overly long lines and grossly obese people? I'm not a Disney shareholder (just not a play I've liked yet), but obviously ticket and food pricing is way to low to have hour plus lines on many of the rides, even on a weekday. I'd hope that Disney uses a sophisticated algorithm to determine ticket and food pricing, but seriously doubting they do. I'd bet that prices could be more than doubled, both at the gate and restaurants so you could shed some of the wait time, but increase the overall bottom line. I'd gladly pay multiple times more for a less crowded - less wait time experience.

With that said, why does it seem like the parks have become so full of grossly overweight people? I personally feel people can do whatever they want to themselves but these fat slobs unfairly burden the motivated class with higher taxes and insurance premiums if they can't afford their own healthcare. Anyways, back to these people at Disney... I've never seen so many guts hanging below t-shirts, encountered such horrible body odor, and sense of entitlement to ride their handicap scooters to the exit line in order to skip the more fit masses waiting forever. I have no problem with a disabled vet or even a kid born with a disability getting to cut the line due to their issue, but not someone that clearly never missed a meal and can hardly fit in the ride seat.

Out of curiosity I looked at YouTube videos from just a couple of decades ago to compare people walking around Disney. A fat person from then would easily be considered average today, and a moderately obese person of today would have been a county fair attraction back then. Also, I'm not trying to sound racist, but I don't think I saw a single Hispanic female that wasn't at least 50 lbs overweight, and wearing anything but clothing 4x to small for her size.
A few decades ago food was food not this scientifically doped food supply we have today. Back then chickens were chickens and cows were cows. Now the scientist have spiked the chicken and cows food supply and injected them with whatever to make the chickens plumper and the cows producing more milk. Back then we didn't have nearly the problems we have today with food related allergies, cancers and a whole host of medical problems. Back in the 1990's the FDA allowed this scientific intervention into our food supply without proper trials and testing to prove there was no harm on humans.

The Popular Food that Turns Your Gut into a Pesticide Factory

As far as lines and high cost ... people like Disneyland so they go ... in droves ...

When I go its during the week when the place is empty and I get in free with a discount on all purchases

Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Very simple solution to the problem.

Don't go.

Shorter lines for the rest of us.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:04 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
A few decades ago food was food not this scientifically doped food supply we have today. Back then chickens were chickens and cows were cows. Now the scientist have spiked the chicken and cows food supply and injected them with whatever to make the chickens plumper and the cows producing more milk. Back then we didn't have nearly the problems we have today with food related allergies, cancers and a whole host of medical problems. Back in the 1990's the FDA allowed this scientific intervention into our food supply without proper trials and testing to prove there was no harm on humans.
So-o-o-o true:

YouTube - ‪Food, Inc.‬‏ (http://youtu.be/gVFKEWL6DVU - broken link)

YouTube - ‪Sugar: The Bitter Truth‬‏

Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Umm...you realize that this is the peak season for Disneyland right? I'd never go to Disneyland between June and August.

Also, right now California Adventure is undergoing a huge expansion project which has half the park essentially under construction, as a result I think a lot of people are spending their time in the Disneyland park instead. But once the project is finished, there will be many new rides in California adventure and this will help reduce the loads in Disneyland.

Handicap riders don't get to go on the rides immediately, they have to wait in lines as well and they only let them on here and there.

I'm not sure why you are surprised at seeing overweight people in Disneyland, you should be happy that they are out burning calories.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:21 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Entertainment, tourism, retailing, junk food/soft drinks, healthcare, tobacco/alcohol/other drugs, pets, etc etc are among the many industries which depend upon having obese, lazy people spending money they really don't have

Net and PC (and suburban car culture) allow the affluent taxpayer and shareholder to avoid physical proximity to the obese Luddite masses who invariably congregate at tourist traps/shops/fast food/stadiums...

Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,654 times
The summer months are when people travel. Disneyland is always busiest this time of year and in general, Disneyland has more people visit than Disney World due to its location.

Overweight people are allowed to enjoy life too. It's really no one's business how they look, and IMO people making such statements is just another form of prejudice.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 PM

394 posts, read 966,662 times
As was said, this is peak season for D'Land - hence the long lines. Your theory is correct numerically, double the admission price and reduce the crowds by 1/3 or more but I think it's already priced itself out of reality. However, I must add that I grew up 3 miles from the park and during the summer my buddies and I would ride our bikes to the D'Land Hotel, pay $3.50 for a general admission ticket, hop on the Monorail and spend the day in the park, so my standards are a bit skewed. (BTW, what is it, $80 now?) JEEZ!

And as far as the obesity issue... I dunno what to tell you. It iz what it iz. But tolerance is a virtue!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
You know, I just went to Disneyland the other day and I cannot believe all the black people there and all the jews. I mean, I'd gladly pay a larger ticket price, as long as these people weren't allowed in. In fact, while you are at it, I'd pay a higher ticket price, to keep out little kids, old people, and women too.

Why is it, people can still call "fat people," fat slobs and that still be socially acceptable? Its the last class of people, you can make fun of, and it not be socially unacceptable.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 61,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You know, I just went to Disneyland the other day and I cannot believe all the black people there and all the jews. I mean, I'd gladly pay a larger ticket price, as long as these people weren't allowed in. In fact, while you are at it, I'd pay a higher ticket price, to keep out little kids, old people, and women too.

Why is it, people can still call "fat people," fat slobs and that still be socially acceptable? Its the last class of people, you can make fun of, and it not be socially unacceptable.
Like I said before, perhaps Disney uses a formula or algorithm to determine pricing (how many people need to be in the park to sell X meals and X merchandise, hotel rooms, etc to generate X revenue), however, it seems very cheap, hence the long lines. Without knowing all the facts (I'm not currently a Disney shareholder) I'd bet that prices are way to low. It would be a far nicer experience at the park with shorter lines, and to be surrounded by more desirable people, even if the daily cost was 2-4x more per ticket. Disney could earn the same profit, or more importantly even more, serving less people.

In regards to your remarks about races and religion, I don't care what someone is or believes as long as they're well educated (traditionally or not), have created something of themselves from a financial prospective, etc.

Nobody, including myself wants to spend more for a better experience. I'm just stating that I would in order to. In other words, nobody likes spending $50,000 a year at their Country Club or $1,000 a night for dinner. However, that's just the cost to experience the best in a place that costs enough to keep the less desirable people out.

It would be great if Disney had even just a week where tickets were perhaps $20,000 or more each so some could enjoy the park with only a limited other number of guests..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County