U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 7,723 times
Default Just moved to OC

Hello,

I just relocated to the Orange County area for a new position (started May 2) and I am mainly looking for some advice on relocation. (Most of the below is just a little background on why I am making this post... main questions are at the bottom)

Currently I live in Aliso Viejo, and from what I have seen it seems to be a nice area. The only problem I have with it is the lack of nightlife/younger atmosphere. I am a mid 20's, young professional male, which is quite different than the median age in this area (late 30's to mid 40's).

Don't get me wrong, it seems like a great place to raise family, but not so much equipped for a younger individual like myself. I am looking to relocate closer to a beach town, while at the same time keep my costs relatively low.

I have researched Costa Mesa, Newport, Huntington, Laguna, and so far the best areas seem to be in either Newport or Laguna (debatable I know...this just based on my personal experience so far). I currently work in downtown Anaheim and would like to cut down on my commute if possible, but would sacrifice that for a younger crowd/nightlife near the beach.

With that being said, I am considering moving to Long Beach, as I heard it has a great arts scene, good night life, tons of entertainment, etc. I have looked in the areas of Downtown, Belmont Heights, Belmont Shores, Naples and the surrounding areas. I am shocked at how much cheaper it is to live in these areas compared to pretty much anywhere else in OC. This is ultimately why I am considering moving to this area.

Finally, here are the questions I have and any advice is much appreciated:

1.) What is the downtown Long Beach commute like downtown Anaheim?
2.) What is the overall safety in downtown LB?
3.) Parking situation in downtown near Ocean and Atlantic and the surrounding areas?
4.) Nightlife/Entertainment in Downtown?
5.) Surf in LB? (I never have and really want to learn)
6.) High-rise apartment living in LB (thoughts and ideas)?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by New2_SoCal; 06-25-2011 at 09:29 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM

916 posts, read 2,237,344 times
If you look at Naples, Peninsula, etc., those areas apples to apples are going to be just as if not more expensive than most of OC. So if you are as you say looking for cheaper rent you're going to have to look closer to downtown LB. Even Belmont Shore is pretty expensive compared to much of OC except maybe Laguna or Newport.

Downtown LB is about 45 minutes to commute to Anaheim.
Downtown is pretty safe south of third. It's urban so it's what you might expect of an urban area. It gets grittier as you go north.
Parking is tough downtown.
Nightlife downtown is clubbish. For more of a beach / pub scene you need to go to Belmont Shore.
No surf in LB because of the breakwater. Hopefully that thing will be altered soon to allow some waves to sneak through but probably not for 5+ years. There are lots of other water activities in LB. Lots of sailing, yachting, paddle boarding, kayaking, windsurfing, etc.
People like the high rises for the views, urban living and so on.

You may also like the area around 4th street known as retro row.

In all I think you could like LB. It's a large city with a huge variety of neighborhoods from suburban to beachy to urban.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
If you look at Naples, Peninsula, etc., those areas apples to apples are going to be just as if not more expensive than most of OC. So if you are as you say looking for cheaper rent you're going to have to look closer to downtown LB. Even Belmont Shore is pretty expensive compared to much of OC except maybe Laguna or Newport.

Downtown LB is about 45 minutes to commute to Anaheim.
Downtown is pretty safe south of third. It's urban so it's what you might expect of an urban area. It gets grittier as you go north.
Parking is tough downtown.
Nightlife downtown is clubbish. For more of a beach / pub scene you need to go to Belmont Shore.
No surf in LB because of the breakwater. Hopefully that thing will be altered soon to allow some waves to sneak through but probably not for 5+ years. There are lots of other water activities in LB. Lots of sailing, yachting, paddle boarding, kayaking, windsurfing, etc.
People like the high rises for the views, urban living and so on.

You may also like the area around 4th street known as retro row.

In all I think you could like LB. It's a large city with a huge variety of neighborhoods from suburban to beachy to urban.

Thanks Naples for your response, I actually have a lot of faith in your responses based on the kudos you have received from this forum.

Aside from that, I have looked a belmont shores/heights and housing prices are actually cheaper than in Costa Mesa, Irvine and even Huntington. Price is relative obviously, but I am trying to stay at or below the 1200 mo. range with a cap of $1650 at most. I have found numerous places that are at or below the 1200 mark which is why I am considering the move.

As for the commute, I am already traveling about 35-40 minutes from Aliso to Anaheim via the 5 every day, and it is daunting at times but traffic is traffic and there isn't much you can do. My only concern would be actually getting to my office within a reasonable amount of time. Not getting stuck in traffic and having be a 2 hour delay frequently.

In terms of the nightlife, I am more of a pub/bar type of person, that will venture to the club occasionally. The fact is that I know virtually no one out here, I am looking to meet and hang out with new people, and LB seems likes a good area to start.

The high-rise piece was more or less food for thought. If I can find an affordable solution, I would love to live in a unit that over looks downtown with a view of the ocean... but I am not banking on this as my only option.

Thanks again for your response.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 PM

5,332 posts, read 5,963,827 times
I know what you mean about Aliso Viejo - Nice, but very sterile.

In Long Beach, stick with the Belmont Shore area. Pricier, but safer and more fun. 30-45 minute commute (Excellent rowing club with Olympic Level training equipment, Offshore Canoe Club. Dragon Boats, USA Sailing Center)

Costa Mesa, Downtown Huntington Beach, Seal Beach Village would still be good choices. All are about a 20 minute commute to Anaheim

Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I know what you mean about Aliso Viejo - Nice, but very sterile.

In Long Beach, stick with the Belmont Shore area. Pricier, but safer and more fun. 30-45 minute commute

Costa Mesa, Downtown Huntington Beach, Seal Beach Village would still be good choices. All are about a 20 minute commute to Anaheim
Thanks for the info Dins!

Does Downtown Huntington or SBV have the same urban downtown vibe and feel that Downtown LB has?

Also, in your opinion, is Downtown LB relatively unsafe... in terms of walking the streets at night after bar-hopping?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 AM

916 posts, read 2,237,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2_SoCal View Post
Thanks for the info Dins!

Does Downtown Huntington or SBV have the same urban downtown vibe and feel that Downtown LB has?

Also, in your opinion, is Downtown LB relatively unsafe... in terms of walking the streets at night after bar-hopping?
The only one that really has an urban vibe is downtown LB. It's actually relatively safe to other true downtowns particularly south of third. But it is urban and so when you compare it to the suburbs the crime rate is probably higher. But you certainly can walk around while enjoying the nightlife. It does sound like you would enjoy Belmont Shore better. I would note that you could live in Belmont Shore and be in downtown LB or Seal Beach in 5 minutes and you could bike to either in 10 minutes.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM

394 posts, read 491,434 times
I agree about Belmont Shore being a very nice spot to live. One thing to note is that one must be tolerant of alternative lifestyles when living there, but the diversity is part of what makes the area so great. You might also look at the Shoreline Village area too. But you might find yourself growing weary of the daily commute after a while.

There is an area near Angel Stadium called the Platinum Triangle. It's higher density living and the area is still developing it's personality but it may hold some interest for you since it's mainly younger people who are living in that area.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
I agree about Belmont Shore being a very nice spot to live. One thing to note is that one must be tolerant of alternative lifestyles when living there, but the diversity is part of what makes the area so great. You might also look at the Shoreline Village area too. But you might find yourself growing weary of the daily commute after a while.

There is an area near Angel Stadium called the Platinum Triangle. It's higher density living and the area is still developing it's personality but it may hold some interest for you since it's mainly younger people who are living in that area.
Thanks Robby for your response, I will be sure to check out Shoreline Village.

I do know the Platinum Triangle area you are referring to and it is quite nice. I work pretty close to there and I have checked out some of the areas. The only problem I have with it is exactly what you mentioned, the fact that it is still developing. I know they have plans to transform Downtown Anaheim into a walkable, urban landscape, but I am not sure how long that will take? It could take 5+ years, or more.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:49 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,888,304 times
About a week ago I was reamed over my statements about Aliso Viejo. I believe I described Aliso Viejo in exactly the same manner the OP has experienced. I described AV as a great place for smaller families and perhaps older single folks. I described Huntington Beach and Newport Beach are far better places for young professionals. Thereafter, it seems that everyone on this forum over aged 45 told me I was incorrect and an idiot.

Now I feel vindicated as this poster has stated exactly what is not good with AV for a single young professional.

OP, definitely get to Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Seal Beach Village, or Belmont Shores. Huntington has the most 20s and 30s single people and a great nightlife. It is worth the 45-60 minute commute each way.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
About a week ago I was reamed over my statements about Aliso Viejo. I believe I described Aliso Viejo in exactly the same manner the OP has experienced. I described AV as a great place for smaller families and perhaps older single folks. I described Huntington Beach and Newport Beach are far better places for young professionals. Thereafter, it seems that everyone on this forum over aged 45 told me I was incorrect and an idiot.

Now I feel vindicated as this poster has stated exactly what is not good with AV for a single young professional.

OP, definitely get to Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Seal Beach Village, or Belmont Shores. Huntington has the most 20s and 30s single people and a great nightlife. It is worth the 45-60 minute commute each way.
Thanks for the info, sorry to hear you were bashed for your opinion. I guess I am next in line since we share the same skewed viewpoint

What areas specifically would you recommend checking out in Huntington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County