U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:18 AM

590 posts, read 1,065,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
There are really two things to consider when deciding where to live in SoCal. They are safety for yourself and your family and proximity to where you work. If you don't have both of those covered, you may find yourself to be disenchanted with the experience.

With that being said, I would suggest Anaheim Hills (mostly newer construction and some fabulous vistas), Orange Park Acres (larger lots and an equestrian area as well), Cowan Heights / North Tustin (larger lots, great vistas a rural feel) and maybe Coto de Caza. Coto is the furthest from Anaheim but is a really nice area to live if you can afford it.

I personally would not buy a home that is more than about 10 years old...if you do you will be replacing the roof, air conditioning/furnace, remodeling kitchens and baths and putting in new floors...

We have been watching a home in our hood..sold for over 1.2 million..half acre lot (but no pool..unusual for this area)...for the past two months tho the folks have moved in..each and every day there are at least 4 trucks there..looks like they totally tore out the interior..built in 73 I think..

my h.o. only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:27 PM

394 posts, read 827,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
I personally would not buy a home that is more than about 10 years old...if you do you will be replacing the roof, air conditioning/furnace, remodeling kitchens and baths and putting in new floors...
While that statement is accurate, there are exceptions! Take my house for example. Built in 1964. Although the carpets are old and due to be replaced, the rest of the house is turn-key ready - with a brand new roof, newly replastered pool and recent upgrades to kitchen and baths.

Wanna see more?
1452 Olwyn, Tustin, CA - Home for Sale with Home Pro Realty

Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM

4,940 posts, read 6,325,203 times
Quote:
While that statement is accurate, there are exceptions! Take my house for example. Built in 1964. Although the carpets are old and due to be replaced, the rest of the house is turn-key ready - with a brand new roof, newly replastered pool and recent upgrades to kitchen and baths.

Wanna see more?
1452 Olwyn, Tustin, CA - Home for Sale with Home Pro Realty
NICE! Hope it sells quickly!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
NICE! Hope it sells quickly!

sorry...not in my hood...we have 3000 sq feet..on half an acre..3 car garage..our roof cost 30 K...so depends upon what one calls turn key I guess...

Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
sorry...not in my hood...we have 3000 sq feet..on half an acre..3 car garage..our roof cost 30 K...so depends upon what one calls turn key I guess...

not to mention...above ground spa...shingled roof..laminate floors..and very close by neighbors...

kitchen cabs look original..counters are not granite either..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM

THAT'S ALL TRUE.

My roof only cost $9K. But it comes with a 10-year transferrable warranty. Someone could move in here and not have to do anything (ceptin' new carpets). It's NOT a million dollar house but it's a great house none the less in a great neighborhood!

And BTW, I love my "above ground spa"...

Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 PM

4,940 posts, read 6,325,203 times
Quote:

Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,786,473 times
Quote:

I had an above ground spa and I did something kind of unusual. I plumbed a gas heater into it rather than use the built in 5500 watt electric heater. With electric, the spa has to stay hot all the time. With gas, I can let it cool off and not use it for days and it only takes about 40 minutes to heat up.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
THAT'S ALL TRUE.

My roof only cost $9K. But it comes with a 10-year transferrable warranty. Someone could move in here and not have to do anything (ceptin' new carpets). It's NOT a million dollar house but it's a great house none the less in a great neighborhood!

curious...is your 9k roof shingles?? or cement tiles...notice that yours is also two story..thus less roof...we have one story..so much more roof..including the 3 car garage...

my comment re open ground spa was meant to indicate that they are cheap..you could have brought it with you?? our spa is part of the pool...thus costs more...also...did the redo of pool include all new tiles??

my comment re buying older homes ...did this "old" home have a new HVAC, water heater, sinks , granite tops, etc etc

sorry...to get you upset...but there are OLD homes...and old homes that need several hundred thousand dollars updating...the picture you posted...is an old home that got much less than that...

not to mention the tiny yard,,,wood fences..laminate flooring...la la la la
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or