U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM

590 posts, read 1,066,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I had an above ground spa and I did something kind of unusual. I plumbed a gas heater into it rather than use the built in 5500 watt electric heater. With electric, the spa has to stay hot all the time. With gas, I can let it cool off and not use it for days and it only takes about 40 minutes to heat up.

not sure of your point...our spa..part of the pool..is also gas heated...we also let it cool...it takes 30 minutes to heat up...so what's your point??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM

394 posts, read 828,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
curious...is your 9k roof shingles?? or cement tiles...notice that yours is also two story..thus less roof...we have one story..so much more roof..including the 3 car garage...

my comment re open ground spa was meant to indicate that they are cheap..you could have brought it with you?? our spa is part of the pool...thus costs more...also...did the redo of pool include all new tiles??

my comment re buying older homes ...did this "old" home have a new HVAC, water heater, sinks , granite tops, etc etc

sorry...to get you upset...but there are OLD homes...and old homes that need several hundred thousand dollars updating...the picture you posted...is an old home that got much less than that...

not to mention the tiny yard,,,wood fences..laminate flooring...la la la la
bite me

Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 AM

5 posts, read 5,888 times
I have lived in the OC since I was a teen in 1985. If you are wanting to live by the beach, you will have to commute to Anaheim Hills. Almost everyone commutes. Because you have two small children, I would really suggest you look at the schools.

Practically all of the homes by the beach that are 2300+ are expensive. If you want to live comfortably based on the salary you posted, I suggest you look at neighborhoods that are built less than 10 years ago and are about 10 minutes away from the beach.

I live in a gated community in San Juan Capistrano. My house is valued around $1M and is 3250 square feet. It takes us 30 minutes to bike to the beach and only 10 minutes to drive.

There is also a great new community in San Clemente called Talega. The houses are in your price range and again about 10 minutes from the beach when driving. Also, it has a local public school (K-8) that is fantastic. It is a newer community with a lot of younger kids. Check out redfin.com to find houses. It is quite helpful. Type in Talega for the search or any other city, and you will find a lot of information.

I would really not recommend homes that are more inland (like Anaheim) because they tend to be hotter. Also, you feel landlocked and so far from the beach (30-45 minutes depending on traffic). Also, watch out for Laguna Hills, specifically Nellie Gail. It is lovely, but an older community. Not many young families live there.

Lastly, check out Ladera Ranch. It is a bit inland (10 minutes from San Juan), but has the best schools in the school district, Capistrano Unified School District. Let me know if you need any more help.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 AM

50 posts, read 138,599 times
If you want to live near the beach check out the Seacliff area of Huntington Beach. It is a very nice area and you can now get a newer 3000 sf house for about $1.1 million.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
not sure of your point...our spa..part of the pool..is also gas heated...we also let it cool...it takes 30 minutes to heat up...so what's your point??
Did you read the "above ground" part of my post?

My point was that above ground spas are almost all electric which means it takes many hours (nine?) to heat it up from the 60s to the 100s which means you basically have to leave that thing on 24/7 unless you use it very infrequently and you know well in advance when you're going to use it.

Knowing this, I bought a Teledyne Laars 375K BTU gas heater and plumbed it into my above ground spa to bypass the electric heater. I calculated based on my use and electric rates and gas rates and the cost of the heater, that integrating the heater would provide a break even of 4.44 years. Plus I have the added advantage of heating the spa of quickly - no planning required.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
bite me

Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did you read the "above ground" part of my post?

My point was that above ground spas are almost all electric which means it takes many hours (nine?) to heat it up from the 60s to the 100s which means you basically have to leave that thing on 24/7 unless you use it very infrequently and you know well in advance when you're going to use it.

Knowing this, I bought a Teledyne Laars 375K BTU gas heater and plumbed it into my above ground spa to bypass the electric heater. I calculated based on my use and electric rates and gas rates and the cost of the heater, that integrating the heater would provide a break even of 4.44 years. Plus I have the added advantage of heating the spa of quickly - no planning required.

actually I did get the point of your post....tho I did not know that most above ground spas are electric heated...I agree that would not be cost effective...and you were wise to rig up a gas heater...we never heat our entire pool...wayyy too expensive!!...but have a great heater that can heat the spa in about half an hour...

good luck

Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
bite me

gee..aren't you a pleasant guy!!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 PM

29 posts, read 79,878 times
Thanks for the info so far, please keep it coming

We are finding a lot of homes int he 1.2M range in huntington becch some with slips for boats right there. That 1.2 is really probably 1.1 max which i can do. How are the schools there. I love the beach and what is a typical commute from HB to Anaheim / Fullerton

Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM

5,847 posts, read 10,984,952 times
Schools in HB are very good. (Edison was rated in the top 500 HS inthe country)

I believe the Harbour area kids go to Huntington Beach or Marina HS (Both very good)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or