U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM

4,909 posts, read 6,306,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
what is a typical commute from HB to Anaheim / Fullerton
In my experiences, slow and frustrating. Huntington Beach is is not a small beach town like Dana Point or Laguna Beach, but one of Orange County's largest cities, and traffic there tends to be very congested. There is plenty to do in HB, but it also has too many DUIs and too much crime for my tastes. That's just me and my sensibilities though, because other people who live there obviously know how to deal with it.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-29-2011 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 PM

5,846 posts, read 10,971,361 times
No traffic isn't bad here, if you know where which street to take. Yes it is a big city. In the off season, the downtown village can be very enjoyable. During tourist season, it is pure crazy land.

I never encountered a Drunk Driver in all the years I lived here. But the cops are sure cashing in in all the out-of-towners that can't hold their liquor. Very little crime outside idiot-on-idiot incidents. A few years ago HB was voted as one of Americas safest cities.

But the OP is looking in the Harbour Area, while not as pretty as Dana Point, you can get waterfront property at a better price than Newport Beach. Very quite on this side with lots of little mom and pop type restaurants and shops.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,201 times
Cool help

quick ?? im new on here, how do i post on the forum? how to create a thread? etc?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM

4,909 posts, read 6,306,529 times
Violent crime in Surf City up 19% - Huntington Homes - The Orange County Register

Huntington Beach tops California DUI collisions list, new report says - latimes.com

Still, every large city, not just HB, has its share of problems. It's good for many, just not me.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 AM

50 posts, read 138,411 times
I'm not sure why some people say Huntington Beach has bad traffic; I've lived here about 25 years and think traffic in HB is less than most OC cities. I've spent plenty of time as a road warrior all over Southern California so I am a little confused. For those who say traffic is bad in HB, I would like to know what areas and times of day they are referring to and specifically how it is worse than the rest of OC.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 AM

26,354 posts, read 62,524,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
A few years ago HB was voted as one of Americas safest cities.
That is irrelevant to the effort to make dramatic statements about crime, and personal encounters, or things that were passed on from someone at work.

Santa Ana was also voted one of the safest cities a few years ago, but people who do not live there and rarely or never go there still carry on and on about how dangerous it is. Yet it was 29th safest this past December in one ranking. Seventh safest according to Forbes:

America's Safest Cities - 7. Santa Ana, Calif. - Forbes.com

However it is not dramatic to say a place is reasonably safe. Much more entertaining and psychologically satisfying to say these are horrible Cities. As someone recently told me, "True facts consistently ruin a good story." Without exaggeration and conjecture, where would be be?

Many people need drama in their lives. Getting a speeding ticket is the most exciting thing that will ever happen to them. They need to stand at the water cooler and talk about things like "You hear gunshots every night" or "You cannot walk down the streets at night without getting shot" "If you go there, wear a body bag and save the coroner some time"

It is all very dramatic and exciting. Who cares if it is not true or even close to the truth?

Please stop muddying up the dramatic statements with the truth.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 AM

5,846 posts, read 10,971,361 times
Yeah, I know stats can easily be twisted and manipulated for better or worse depending on a persons/or organizations agenda.

The crime rate in HB is mostly attributed to the MMA and BroCulture muscle heads that drive in from the 909 and beat up on each other (idiot on idiot crime) then drive home drunk (the high number of DUIs).

Regardless. I would much rather live in Huntington Beach than some sterile prefab stepford city in Mid-South County.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 12,475 times
I would suggest Laguna Beach or Anaheim Hills. Laguna Beach is nice but is a small city. As in the roads, stores and everything are small. As far as the houses go, I have seen some large houses out there as well but everything seems to be squeezed next to each other. Anaheim Hills is a beautiful area as well with gorgeous houses and great neighborhoods. You would be close to the 91 fwy which you will need to get to the Fullerton/ Anaheim area. Very small commute. But with regard to the beach from Anaheim Hills, you would have to take the 91 fwy to the 55 fwy. Depending on time of day and day of the week, your travel time will vary. At the most, an hour to get there. You can also consider Irvine, which is also a very nice area but is a commute to your job location. It will take you roughly an hour to get to work everyday. But Irvine is close to the beach. Just being honest, the beaches off the O.C. coast have a lot of debris and trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or