Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 9,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherHand View Post
Irvine is really designed around having a car. While there are some pedestrian paths, the shopping areas are spread far enough apart so that you really need a vehicle to do shopping if you live in one of the further residential areas.

That said, there are very many residential areas adjacent or very close to the shopping centers which might work for you, and you could walk. The trouble is some of the communities are very large, and giving you the name of a specific community might not be useful.

For example, Woodbridge is a great village in Irvine. Parts of it are next to shopping but some is too far to walk. That's true with many of the village sin Irvine. You might be better off finding areas of good shopping and restaurants and focus your house hunting near there.

Given your husband will be working in Anaheim, Old Towne in the City of Orange could be of interest to you. Orange is adjacent to Anaheim and Old Towne is very walkable, has a good community feel and a number of restaurants. People can get around easily without a car, and there is a Metrolink train station within walking distance that provides access to Los Angeles and San Diego. Probably not as "safe" as Irvine (few places are) but safe enough by almost any standard.
Thank you very much OtherHand, I will have a look also in Old Towne in Orange.
On the other hand as Bvitamin and DinsdalePirahna say I will have a look also in Fullerton.
Talking about Irvine, could you suggest a precise place in the villages of Woodbridge and Westpark close to the mentioned shopping and restaurant areas? With some street names should be enough to allow me to look for rental houses.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
Sounds like you have all of the right stuff to become a Californian! I hope that you find what you are looking for here! Yes, Irvine is safe with good schools and nice amenities but as you have already found, it's not cheap to live there and it's not a city with an urban feel. It's hard to replicate that lifestyle in Orange County because OC is so spread out. It's often referred to as Urban Sprawl.

Others will be better-suited than I to recommend neighborhoods and schools.

Congratulations and good luck!
Thank you very much for your answer.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Kuki - Welcome to the USA and to Irvine.

Couple thoughts for you.

1. It sounds like you may be percieving Irvine as a "city" with a downtown. Perhaps because of its large population? It really is more of a very, very large suburb. Having said that, there are a lot of the things you mentioned in the Irvine and some areas offer the walk - ability you mentioned. Irvine is divided into a series of "villages" (nighborhoods). Westpark is the village that runs between Culver and Harvard ave. and is very pedestrian friendly. My family lives here and we can walk to 3 seperate shopping centers that can meet 90% of our day to day needs and there are 4 preschools I can think of off the top of my head in walking distance as well. Plus the village is loaded with parks and is near the awesome Bill Barber park at the civic center that your daughter will love.

Certain parts of the villages of Woodbridge - particularly near the University/Jeffery ave side - Oak Creek Village and University Park would also be more walkable. Also any of the developments in West Irvine and Northpark near the Marketplace may work if you are looking to rent. If you want to walk to things avoid Orangetree, Turtle Rock and El Camino Real.

2. $1200 is about right, maybe a smidge high 1 year olds & infants are always more $$ because state law requires a higher staff to student ratio. It goes down a little bit as they get older. I was paying $470/month for my 4year old for just 2 days a week at pre-k. For less expensive options there are alot of in-home day cares in the area where someone watchs 4-5 kids in their home. Its more of a daycare then a preschool enviroment. If you are interested call the city and they can get you a list of providers in your area. Another possibility is to do only half days or full days for only 2 or 3 days a week.

3. Not sure on this one, but given the high number of immigrants in Irvine (mostly Asian) there has to be some resources for ESL (English as a Second Language) learners in the area.

Irvine is great place for young families and only 15 minutes from Anaheim - 30 in bad traffic. Best of luck!
Thank you very much for your help. Definitely we would have a look for renting in Westpark. Could you suggest a precise place in Westpark to look for renting?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
[quote=Kuki;19811771]
Quote:

Couple thoughts for you.

1. It sounds like you may be percieving Irvine as a "city" with a downtown. Perhaps because of its large population? It really is more of a very, very large suburb. Having said that, there are a lot of the things you mentioned in the Irvine and some areas offer the walk - ability you mentioned. Irvine is divided into a series of "villages" (nighborhoods). Westpark is the village that runs between Culver and Harvard ave. and is very pedestrian friendly. My family lives here and we can walk to 3 seperate shopping centers that can meet 90% of our day to day needs and there are 4 preschools I can think of off the top of my head in walking distance as well. Plus the village is loaded with parks and is near the awesome Bill Barber park at the civic center that your daughter will love.

Thank you very much for your help. Definitely we would have a look for renting in Westpark. Could you suggest a precise place in Westpark to look for renting?
There are the big Irvine Apartment Community owned developments - Santa Clara, Santa Maria and Santa Rosa in Westpark II and San Remo and San Leon in Westpark I. Go to www.rental-living.com for more info on these

There are several Condo/Townhome complexes as well where many of the units are rented by Private owners. Best way to find these is thru an agent or the MLS services. Go to www.realtor.com and do a search. The attached link is to the website of a real estate agent who specializes in the area. Irvine Real Estate - Fred Stepanian. The guy's a bit of a douche so you may not want to contact him, but his site is full of good info on Westpark.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
You will her a lot of griping about IAC communities. My experience with them is that they are top notch and respond to a tenants needs within a day.

Moderator cut: crude

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-12-2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Crude - find another way to express your opinion, please.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 AM

11 posts, read 50,333 times
[quote=Kuki;19811771]
Quote:

Irvine is divided into a series of "villages" (nighborhoods). Westpark is the village that runs between Culver and Harvard ave. and is very pedestrian friendly. My family lives here and we can walk to 3 seperate shopping centers that can meet 90% of our day to day needs and there are 4 preschools I can think of off the top of my head in walking distance as well. Plus the village is loaded with parks and is near the awesome Bill Barber park at the civic center that your daughter will love.
What elementary schools fall into Westpark? Thanks for your tip on the neighborhoods. What is the Bill Barber Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County