U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,168 times

Advertisements

From reading apartment ratings for places I find available online-
everyone from the most "luxurious" communities still get "screwed out" of their deposits and then get a bill on top of that--- after never getting maintenance.

This is the reward they get for paying rent on time? Some residents even go so far as to file lengthy law cases against these companies and post about them online- against UDR, AIMCO, LB, Irvine Comp, etc..

Is this the rule and not the exception? Is it the apartment managers?

These companies seem to buy out even old 60s/70s apartments up to super fancy looking new ones. The ratings seem to say you get the same service- from a 1200 place to a 2000/month place.

It's true in the San Fernando Valley it seems- Northpoint on Zelzah in Northridge and other LB Properties- you have your car broken into, paper thin walls and nothing works and smoke in your apartment, vomit and lit cigarettes on the carpeted stairs/halls and the fire alarm every other night around 3 AM- to pay 1750+/month (without utilites or private laundry).

Is there anywhere you actually get what you pay for in SoCal? or is it a game of picking one and saying bye to your deposit, health and sanity?

Private owners sound scary too. How do you get a safe place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:12 PM

590 posts, read 1,066,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCheagle View Post
From reading apartment ratings for places I find available online-
everyone from the most "luxurious" communities still get "screwed out" of their deposits and then get a bill on top of that--- after never getting maintenance.

This is the reward they get for paying rent on time? Some residents even go so far as to file lengthy law cases against these companies and post about them online- against UDR, AIMCO, LB, Irvine Comp, etc..

Is this the rule and not the exception? Is it the apartment managers?

These companies seem to buy out even old 60s/70s apartments up to super fancy looking new ones. The ratings seem to say you get the same service- from a 1200 place to a 2000/month place.

It's true in the San Fernando Valley it seems- Northpoint on Zelzah in Northridge and other LB Properties- you have your car broken into, paper thin walls and nothing works and smoke in your apartment, vomit and lit cigarettes on the carpeted stairs/halls and the fire alarm every other night around 3 AM- to pay 1750+/month (without utilites or private laundry).

Is there anywhere you actually get what you pay for in SoCal? or is it a game of picking one and saying bye to your deposit, health and sanity?

Private owners sound scary too. How do you get a safe place to live?

well obviously times change...when I was single (yeah..last century) I lived in the Valley...moved about 5 times and always got my deposit back..places were kept up...management was responsive..etc..

did learn tho that living on a first floor was a crapshoot noise wise...

Old 07-03-2011, 07:15 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,759,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
well obviously times change...when I was single (yeah..last century) I lived in the Valley...moved about 5 times and always got my deposit back..places were kept up...management was responsive..etc..

did learn tho that living on a first floor was a crapshoot noise wise...
Its not just SoCal. When I was renting here in the Bay Area, we had the exact same issues you describe.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 23,737 times
When you give your notice to leave, you should also attach a letter citing the California civil codes that apply to deposits and what is considered wear and tear items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County