Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,670 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am driving to Houston from Anaheim, CA and this is my first time embarking on such a long road trip. I was planning on leaving late at night or early morning to get thru as much as I can before the sun comes up. I will have a car packed with stuff (Clothes, boxes, etc.). I plan on taking the I 10 straight thru. So I want to ask if there are any little tips that you well traveled ppl may know of such as places to eat along the way, road conditions, what to watch out for, etc. I'll be traveling alone and already know to be alert and vigilant but also wanna know as much as I need to know before I head out. I appreciate any help. Thanks1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 01:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
How many days? It's almost 1600 miles.

Traveling with kids? If so, note where all the McDonalds play lands are on the route so when the kids finally drive you nuts you can stop and let them de-energize.

Let someone know where you are.

Bring a cell phone charger.

Lots of water.

Toilet paper.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:04 PM

394 posts, read 966,662 times
Check your spare tire. Make sure that it is properly inflated in case you need it. Do you have a AAA card or other roadside assistance?

Beef Jerkey, trail mix, candy that won't melt and other snacks will allow you to bypass all of the fast food joints. Also, take a few 5-hour energy bottles with you so that you don't fall asleep on those boring Texas highways.

NEVER let your gas tank get below 1/4 full. You don't want to be desperate for fuel in the middle of freaking nowhere!!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 15,670 times
Thanks for the responses. No kids, just me, myself & I. Great advice.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
1. Share your itinerary with a close friend, or relative and keep them updated.
2. Make plenty of brief road-side stops, even if you don’t feel tired. This will help to reduce fatigue and go a long way towards keeping you awake. Also, flex and relax your muscles if you start to feel tired during the drive.
3. Have a trusted mechanic check your car over before the trip.
4. For your own comfort, send some of the stuff by UPS, if possible. Books can be sent using postal book rates. Donate what you don't need.
5. Eat frequent small meals and skip the junk. Sugar (candy, pastries and sugary drinks) will rob you of your strength. Carry unsalted nuts, dried and fresh fruits. Be sure to have extra water. Personally, I also like complete protein powders for sustained energy. Life Basics 5 Fruit Blend is one of my favorites. I buy it at Mother’s Market& Kitchen:
Home - Mother's Market
6. Have a small emergency tool kit, as well as a small and inexpensive first-aid kit. Chances are that you won’t need either.
7. Take a battery operated radio with you. I have an Emerson radio that can be plugged in, or operated by battery or hand-winding.
8. Ditto for a flashlight (except for the plug-in part).
9. Put a blanket in your trunk.
10. Remember not to stare at the road for too long. Look around to stay alert.

Have a safe trip!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:53 PM

19 posts, read 47,625 times
Its a great drive. Everyones different though. Just take supplies you need, cameras, camcorder, and get rest either at rest stops, truck stops, or check into a hotel.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
The drive isn't bad until you reach Texas. OC to El Paso is about 12 hrs 30 min. Add 2 hours due to time change. If you can't make it to El Paso, I would suggest stopping in Las Cruces, NM. At least you are in a city of some size with gas stations, restaurants, clean hotels.

When you reach El Paso, between El Paso and Kerrville, TX there is nothing. The gas stations close around 10 or 11pm. The largest town between the 8 hours of El Paso and Kerrville is Fort Stockton, which has 5,000 people. Thus, would recommend stopping in El Paso at the farthest on Day 1.

El Paso to Houston is about 11 hours, give or take a bit.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Stop in Palm Springs to go to the bathroom. It is one long haul from there to your next chance. And get a book on CD for that stretch. Which I hate.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 PM

394 posts, read 966,662 times
I would have suggested a Trucker's Buddy but based upon your screen name, I thought that it probably wasn't applicable. ;-}

Bladder Buddy - an important purchase or gift for any big rig trucker

No worries, though. Manage your fluid intake and you should be fine, Mrs. Duhon.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
I would have suggested a Trucker's Buddy but based upon your screen name, I thought that it probably wasn't applicable. ;-}

Bladder Buddy - an important purchase or gift for any big rig trucker

No worries, though. Manage your fluid intake and you should be fine, Mrs. Duhon.
Not to worry, Hector has invented a Bladder Buddy to be used by all:

http://youtu.be/IdUMy9HzdWo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County