Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM

258 posts, read 533,856 times

Advertisements

I know they are tough to find these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 10:34 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Yes, but they'll be older.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, but they'll be older.

yeah...Irvine Company got smarter when they looked at their available land...and starting building 5 per acre...don't worry..yeah you can hear your neighbors fighting...sometimes loving..etc etc..

hubby's ex has a great "old" one story in University Park...they bought it in 1970 (before I came along)...it is a 5 bed 3 bath one story...most..not all..have kept up with the times and have french doors granite tops..etc..ie..updated so don't have the 70s look

I would NEVER again live in anything but one story (ie..have bad legs and stairs are a *****)...we live in a hood in Lemon Heights...cul de sac of 8 off a cul de sac of 10..homes built by John LIttyle in mid 70's ...all are one story..on half acres..almost all have pools ..and most have been updated..3000 sq feet..don't look cookie cutter either...think he built with about 8 different exteriors..don't think any of my neighbors have exactly the same floor plan or shape of home...no HOA..so exteriors don't match either...we love it here...ahh..the days when a builder in So Cal actually "gave" you half an acre...long gone now..

you could dod do a search using keywords "one story homes..in area you are interested in"...don't think South County has any

Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
you could dod do a search using keywords "one story homes..in area you are interested in"...don't think South County has any
The Deane and La Paz homes in the original part of MV (circa 1965) feature huge single-story homes on large lots. (along with 2-story models as well)

Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM

127 posts, read 435,664 times
I have noticed the same thing. We have lived in the Bay Area for the last 20 years, and live in a ranch style house on a large lot in a small east bay town. Recently we have been talking about the possibility of a move to the Irvine area to be closer to my husband's family (husband has an office there as well he can easily transfer to). But when I look online at the houses in our price range (800-900) the houses are all two story, which we don't really want. It seems very rare to find a one story, and if they are one story they only have 3 bedrooms (we need 4). I like certain aspects of Irvine, but I don't really like the look of the homes. I like more of a "cottage style" look.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,794 times
Check Turtle Rock, an older area of Irvine, the houses are not the typical Irvine looking homes..

Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
I have noticed the same thing. We have lived in the Bay Area for the last 20 years, and live in a ranch style house on a large lot in a small east bay town. Recently we have been talking about the possibility of a move to the Irvine area to be closer to my husband's family (husband has an office there as well he can easily transfer to). But when I look online at the houses in our price range (800-900) the houses are all two story, which we don't really want. It seems very rare to find a one story, and if they are one story they only have 3 bedrooms (we need 4). I like certain aspects of Irvine, but I don't really like the look of the homes. I like more of a "cottage style" look.

Lisa...I just did a quick search...and found various 1 story homes in your price range...yes mostly old..so key to "remodeled"...

try Lemon Heights, Cowan Heights and North Tustin...zip code 92705 and enter in your parameters...this area is "unincorpated area of orange county" so actual town names may vary....as well as school districts...most go to Foothill HIgh..which is a good school...

see what you find...

we looked at over 100 properties up here in 1985 when we moved up from Irvine..which BTW is about 7 miles away...I would suggest living "on the hill"...except right now when they are tearing up our roads..BTW...we have almost all 2 lane "country feel roads"...so whilst traffic and crazy kids might be a hazard...it feels sorta countrified..but shopping etc is stilll about 2 miles away..

good luck..

Old 07-15-2011, 04:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Northwood.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:42 PM

394 posts, read 966,995 times
There are some out here but they won't be newer homes. Builders started cramming large houses onto very small lots some time ago. People bought them so the builders kept on building more of them - and people kept on buying them. Personally, I hate 'em. I would much rather have a smaller single-story house on a larger lot.

The irony is that I have a 2-story house on a large lot in Tustin... Go figure. But back in 1998 I would have bought this house even without the second floor.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
There is only one type of person who would buy a 2 story home. Someone who has never lived in a 2 story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County