Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 AM

590 posts, read 1,248,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Western Med Center Tustin Ave Santa Ana is a 282 bed hospital...with very busy ER....you might be thinking of another hospital I think with an Orange address that used to be part of the Western Med Group...cannot remember the name of that place..but I used to deliver Meals on Wheels and we picked up the meals at the smaller place for years...then we went to the Tustin Ave addy

tho I would prefer St Joes or Hoag...I gotta give credit to Western Med Santa Ana for saving my hubby's live 11 years ago when he had a heart attack...it is not as "pretty" as others..but the ER gave him excellent care!!..Since then I believe it is a part of Tenet Corporation...enuf said..I avoid their facilities!!

but yes...Western Med on Tustin is in Santa Ana...it is a good sized place..but years ago there was a smaller one..mostly inpatient psych if I remember..have no clue what if anything is there now..

BTW///there used to be "tustin community hospital" on Newport Ave..bout 100 beds..not sure if they even had an ER...think it is an outpt facility now..or maybe substance abuse rehab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 AM

590 posts, read 1,248,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Moderator cut: personal attack A Google news search for "western medical center santa ana" turns up half a dozen stories in the last week of trauma victims being taken to Western Med. Heck, even the guy who got stabbed in Costa Mesa who walked to Hoag got transferred to Western Med. I hardly ever see St. Joseph's mentioned and a Google news search doesn't show any stories of trauma victims being sent there.

St Joseph is no longer a trauma center...hasn't been for years...tho it is very busy..it shares an ER ...beautiful one..with CHOC

Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I see a much more "diverse" population than what I grew up with.
Why the need for euphemisms?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:36 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
The Register newspaper reported today, 7/31, that homes are being bought by Asians and Hispanics. I would think knowing how the government works, that the police force will hire those nationalities , so their officers can communicate with the public. Orange county has many Asian gangs and Hispanic gangs. Asian gangs do not care about their turf, they are dealing in drugs, ID theft and prostitution. Has anybody noticed the number of "foot massage" places opening up? The foot massage places do not have to show proof that their massage therapists have a license. Look at the OC Register Sports pages and notice the Asian massage parlors. Garden Grove coffee shops just got busted for video gambling machines that appeared to be video games. Hispanic gangs usually have a turf. They deal in drugs mostly. I would recommend that you become bilingual to get a job here. Also many unions are decreasing pensions and increasing pension contributions. Good luck with your job hunting.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
On a business trip to OC in the early '90's, I ended up in Santa Ana when looking for a Toys 'R Us (or some toy store) to get something for my son. It looked pretty bad even back then. Not sure what area I was in.

Anyway, I moved to Huntington Beach in '99 and lived there til '01. I loved living there, and one thing that impressed me was the politeness of the CA drivers. (I'm comparing this to our crazy East Coast drivers.) No one tailgated, gave you the finger, or honked....well, except for someone once with a TX plate. If you put your turn signal on to change lanes, they immediately made room for you. My 75-y.o. mother, completely unfamiliar with the 405, had no problem getting home after dropping me at LAX.

So I went back to visit in '07....and what a difference. Lots of big pickup trucks driving aggressively, tailgating and whipping through the lanes. I was trying to find my friend's street in Tustin and got cut off and honked-at by someone who had no sympathy for my unfamiliarity with the area. The whole atmosphere just seemed...."different"....more aggressive, not as peaceful and laid-back as I had remembered it.

So, I don't know about gangs and ERs, but I sort of felt like it was Invasion of the Skinheads from inland CA. Just my impression. I still miss the weather.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
On a business trip to OC in the early '90's, I ended up in Santa Ana when looking for a Toys 'R Us (or some toy store) to get something for my son. It looked pretty bad even back then. Not sure what area I was in.

Anyway, I moved to Huntington Beach in '99 and lived there til '01. I loved living there, and one thing that impressed me was the politeness of the CA drivers. (I'm comparing this to our crazy East Coast drivers.) No one tailgated, gave you the finger, or honked....well, except for someone once with a TX plate. If you put your turn signal on to change lanes, they immediately made room for you. My 75-y.o. mother, completely unfamiliar with the 405, had no problem getting home after dropping me at LAX.

So I went back to visit in '07....and what a difference. Lots of big pickup trucks driving aggressively, tailgating and whipping through the lanes. I was trying to find my friend's street in Tustin and got cut off and honked-at by someone who had no sympathy for my unfamiliarity with the area. The whole atmosphere just seemed...."different"....more aggressive, not as peaceful and laid-back as I had remembered it.

So, I don't know about gangs and ERs, but I sort of felt like it was Invasion of the Skinheads from inland CA. Just my impression. I still miss the weather.

I'll bet your driving and situation changed more than the people did. Of course people will seem less rude when you live in the area and are "going with the flow" and of course people will seem impatient when you are looking for an address and are driving nervous, anxious, apprehensive, and tentative.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Where do you think those skinheads and bros were before they were in inland CA?

Many were in OC and got priced out.

With lower rents and RE prices some are back to join those that never left

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
I'll bet your driving and situation changed more than the people did. Of course people will seem less rude when you live in the area and are "going with the flow" and of course people will seem impatient when you are looking for an address and are driving nervous, anxious, apprehensive, and tentative.
No, my driving did not change and I was very familiar with the area (mainly the 405, except for the one experience of being unfamiliar with the streets in Tustin). If your theory was right, I (or my mother) would've had this experience when I first moved there in '99 or when she first visited. The OP asked what OC was like these days, and I gave my impression as a former resident coming back to visit...but oh, it's not US, it's YOU....ha ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County