Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
There is no code. You are living in the 1950's. Cops don't cover for other cops; it just doesn't happen the way it used too. Look at the generation of police officers. The new/newer ones are only in it for "me." They don't care about you, your life, or what happens too you. That includes me. They will "rat out" another officer faster then you can blink an eyelash.
Whether this is true or not is up for debate, since you insist on dealing with facts though, this is a moot point unless you're using this in support of whatever your main point is, possibly the ones below, in that case it's a fallacy.

Quote:
(A)Video evidence IS NOT always reliable. (B)People think it is, because hell, they've been watching it most of their lives. (C)Quite often, what you see, really isn't what you see, or what is truly going on. There are, quite often, circumstances you do not know, nor will you ever know. You are given an ignorant, uneducated opinion, to what you think you see. (D)See the issues there?
This too is a faulty argument, let's take a look:

Argument B is an assumption of statement A, which by the way is neither here nor there. Argument C is just pandering to the what-if game, assumptions. Argument D is a straw man argument.

Quote:
The links have alot to do with this case. As I said, the video shows NOTHING. So some people standing around said the cops beat the man; maybe they did, maybe they did not. But you can't use the people's statements. Witness statements are horribly innaccurate. The links show how often people make up false complaints against police, up to and including putting them into dinner.
The video is what it is, there seems to be another video that captures the event. But you seem to be falling into what you've been accusing others with your latter conclusions.

Quote:
Now, again, so its PERFECTLY CLEAR: IF these officers are found to have beaten this person to death and the person did not die due to a drug/alchol overdose or excited delirium, or a host of other issues, then yes, prosecute them and give them stiff jail times.
That's not what you've been arguing. Sorry there officer but a subdued suspect does not warrant those kinds of beatings. 6 to 1, are you kidding?

Quote:
However, I've been on the receiving end of the same, very nasty media coverage, with people like YOU lambasting me, cursing me, calling for my death, etc. All based upon a "video" which did not lie; well, the video DID lie. It did NOT show the truth and when the truth came out, did any of YOU apologize to me? My family? How about the commuity activists who called for my resignation? Not a peep...cricket. cricket. cricket.
See, the real issue with you surfaces, you're extrapolating. Again, the video is what it is, you again are falling into what you're accusing others of, which is assuming -- to reiterate, the video shows what it shows.

Quote:
In most of these cases, I wait for the FACTS to come out. Not an emotional, knee jerk reaction, which is what is happening on this thread. NONE of you were there. NONE of you know the full facts of what occurred. NONE of you should be condeming ANYONE at this point.
In most of these cases you wait for facts to come out but you, again, are reacting in a knee-jerk emotional way to this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:11 PM

4,134 posts, read 2,834,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
In most of these cases you wait for facts to come out but you, again, are reacting in a knee-jerk emotional way to this case.
This is true for people on both sides of this incident, in this very thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
these 6 foul fullerton cops should be fired & prosecuted for murder. LOTS of cops are out of control nationwide & something has to be done about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
When is it EVER okay for cops (in this case SIX of them) to beat someone to death? That's what happened here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
6-1 on an unarmed human is a gang beating pure and simple.
These sound pretty knee jerk to me too.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 AM

42 posts, read 67,953 times
Moderator cut: off topic

The events in question are undoubtedly horrific to read about and watch on video and everyone has their own opinion.

Personally, we can’t begin to imagine what Police Officers have to endure in the line of duty and I’m sure there is far too little praise for the good that they do. That said and without knowing all of the facts, this incident does appear to have been excessive as the victim must have been subdued sometime before the force ceased.

The last I read was that the victim’s Father was thinking of accepting the money on offer to establish a fund for the homeless. A lesson for us all in humanity but let’s hope that true justice is done whichever way that should lead.

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-09-2011 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 AM

42 posts, read 67,953 times
Moderator cut: copyright issues

People suffering this type of "illness" are often the scariest to the general public probably because the problem, being inside the head, is not visible so we can't understand the issue.

I truly hope that a foundation does come of this and that the good people of OC (and beyond) convert their outrage in to support of same.

R.I.P Kelly Thomas and may your memory live on in a positive way.

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-10-2011 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: please post links with brief snippets

Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,387,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sorry, looking at those pictures I have difficulty seeing how that amount of force was necessary. Had this been a case like the last BART incident where a deranged homeless man was shot and killed I could see the argument. That's just a little different than tasering the guy five times and beating his face into a pulp while standing around and yelling, "Stop resisting, stop resisting."
I tend to side with police on these controversies. However, after hearing eyewitness comments of the beating/tasing (while it was happening), then seeing a hospital picture of Thomas' face, I can't see any reasonable explanation for what they did to him. Rodney King was child's play compared to this.

PS- Of course, I may be completely wrong. It will be interesting to hear the cops' explanations.

Last edited by Fatty MacButter; 08-10-2011 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,808,817 times
Chief of police is now on "indefinite medical leave." Big surprise. Not.

Just preserving his pension.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:44 PM

85 posts, read 151,015 times
It's horrible!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,462,811 times
2 officers indicted today. A good first step.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
2 officers indicted today. A good first step.
Charged with murder for one and involuntary manslaughter for the other!

I'm due for jury duty ...

2 officers charged in Kelly Thomas death in court

Last edited by Vascodagama; 09-22-2011 at 06:24 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,387,310 times
This is a good start. I'm happy for Ron Thomas. At least he's somewhat satisfied now.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So true! If Ron hadn't posted that photo of his son's battered face, the story may have evaporated away. A token investigation most likely would have been performed, with a BS conclusion such as: "Unfortunately things like this happen.."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County