Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 PM

27 posts, read 81,150 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I'm moving back to CA finally after a 4 year hiatus in Anchorage Alaska. I'm a surf junkie, and am looking to live on the beach. I grew up in Seal, but that is WAY out of my price range. I'll be working at LGB with the option to move to SNA. I work some seriously strange hours.
4pm-10pm
1pm-9pm
10am-6pm
7am-3pm
6am-2pm

The question is... how insane am I for wanting to live in Dana Point? I figure I use to drive to Trestles 3x a week... what's 2 more days?

Any advice? I'm looking to buy in the next few months. Condo's are out of the question. I have 2 big dogs and most condo's are against German Shepherds, so a house or townhome are left.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
You work for AS?

We need to know what you can afford.

Whatever your commute tolerance level is, it's up to you. It definitely won't affect me any, so if you want to do the DP to LGB thing that's your call brah.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Nope, I'm a pilot.

Looking in the 400-500 range.

Question is, has the commute gotten any worse in the last few years?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:15 PM

371 posts, read 815,681 times
Commute is probably about the same as 4 years ago. The big question is, are you willing to take the 73 toll road, and pay $4 each way to use it? If you are, I don't see the commute as totally insane.

Also, if you are willing to pay $400k to $500k, you should also consider Costa Mesa. That budget will get you a good looking single family home in Westside, with a good yard, and might even get you a small square footage place in Eastside. Either way, you are a 8-10 minute drive to the sand in Newport Beach. And, you will be close to the 405 freeway, and much closer to LBG, and super-close to SNA.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I like the idea of the 73.
Costa Mesa is a great area, that's a good idea too. I'm jumping on redfin to see what I can find.

I just like the feel of DP and SC, it reminds me of seal, without the price tag..

Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 16,363 times
Well, traffic may not have changed much in 4 years but I do know the surf is definitely more crowded, especially south county. Dana Point is a good place to live, even Mission Viejo. Any place closer to the freeways so you can get on/off faster. I like the other persons idea about Costa Mesa. Not a particular destination city but from there you can get anywhere pretty fast. (Stay away from the inland cities of Rancho Santa Margarita, Foothill Ranch and interior MV as it takes too long to get to the freeway)Plan on using toll roads in your budget. There are a lot of short sales in the area so you may be able to buy something pretty nice for a lot less then you think. I'm in San Juan Capistrano, close to the beach, close to the toll roads, close to the FREEway too. I've been in OC my whole life (49 years) so I know the beach cities very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County