U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 PM

538 posts, read 1,655,859 times

Advertisements

If you are trying to get away from the emphasis on sports, then Orange County is not the place to do it. I have four kids who have been, and are, involved in sports and dance in Los Alamitos. I had a hard enough time keeping up with the competitive nature of this area and my youngest is 13. I can't imagine what parents of younger kids are going through right now! I think the competitiveness has really gotten out of hand, at least in our area and I think in most of Orange County. Because of our consistent weather there is no down time in Southern California. All sports can be year round.

My son was in travel baseball from age 5 until age 10. He decided that he wanted to pursue other sports so had to quit his travel team. They wanted complete commitment to baseball and only baseball all year. I think most travel team do these days. He is in Pop Warner right now and practices 3 days a week for 2.5 hours and plays games every Saturday. He did Friday Night Lights (flag football) since it began and usually practiced only once a week, with games every Friday night. It is not nearly the time commitment that Pop Warner is.

Although schools in our area are good, I don't think they are at the same level as schools on the east coast, where many of the kids are prepped for an ivy league education. I have family in NJ and CT so I know that Northern NJ is a nice area. I don't think you will find the same education here as you have there. If you want sports though, I think it will be similar. There are a lot of kids that take privates and go to conditioning classes. Basically, it is hard for the average athlete to stand out or make high school teams around here. Many people in our area with kids who really want to play go to smaller private schools just so their kids can make the team, which I think is a shame. It's just the way it is though.

Fortunately, my son is a good athlete, so he has been able to play a variety of sports and do well but he will need to pick one as he goes into high school. The days of playing multiple sports in high school are pretty much over. Now kids are being prepped to go after college scholarships while they are still in elementary school. If that's your thing then welcome to Orange County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,418,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
He is in Pop Warner right now and practices 3 days a week for 2.5 hours and plays games every Saturday. He did Friday Night Lights (flag football) since it began and usually practiced only once a week, with games every Friday night. It is not nearly the time commitment that Pop Warner is.
This has always been the case with Pop Warner, though. It is not an issue with an obsession to be the best, instead it is mandated by Pop Warner to protect and prepare the players. It is a very physical sport that requires a great deal of conditioning. In actuality, Pop Warner recently reduced "hell month" from 5 days a week for a month to 4 days a week after decades of no change. Considering what you're talking about, I imagine this would be considered progress for people that feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or