Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:53 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times

Advertisements

Many people are moving to Boise, ID. I grew up there and although I prefer SoCal it is a very fast growing city with a lovely downtown and fun arts scene. I always reccommend it to people seeking a change. There are a ton of outdoor activities including a river that runs thru the city that you can float and fish. Also a ski resort visible from the city, about a 40 minute drive from Downtown. It has most of the shopping and dining opportunities you find in OC with the exception of high end fashion. Nightlife seems to vary by whom you ask but is probably as good or better than OC since there really isn't one here. Obviously, does not compare to LA.

It does have four distinct seasons, which may or may not be a plus for some. Summers are similar to that of Inland Orange County. Spring and Fall are moderate (50-60s). Winter is cool but not freezing (30s-40s). It is dry; yearly precipitation is similar to Orange County at about 11-12".

Housing, in general, is less expensive than California and varies greatly from city to city and neighborhood to neighborhood. Some new homes in the bedroom communities start in the 100s. New condo towers are going up and selling at a premium in Downtown; studios starting in the 200s and larger units into the low 1 millions. Wages tend to be low and for highly specialized jobs one may have trouble getting a job or finding a job that pays what they would make in another community. Unemployment is around 2%.

http://www.boise.org/
http://www.boisechamber.org/

Also check the Boise, ID forum on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 18,422 times
Hi-also thinking of moving out of CA-San Diego is where I live now.
I miss the San Diego that I grew up in-now seems dirty and unsafe.
I was thinking of Colorado or Washington-any opinions?
I am single, over 50-hoping to find a nice place to live, where you
don't have to be bilingual to get a job. Also, I am a teacher-laid off.
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 PM

I am thinking of moving out of San Diego-I miss what California used to be.
Thinking of Colorado or Washington-any opinions would be appreciated.
Also, I am single, over 50, and hoping to find a place where people spend
a lot of time outdoors-healthy lifestyle.
Thanks,
Elaine

Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 PM

also miss the way CA used to be-anyone with opinions on moving to WA

Old 08-21-2010, 02:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
People are moving all over the place. It does not seem wise to base your decision on where "everyone else" is moving. Find the place that is right for you. It depends on what you want.

Want to buy 20 houses? Move to Detroit and start your own villiage. Or buy a waterfront mansion in one of the beautiful suburbs.

Want to ski? Move to Colorado or Utah.

Want a job? Move to Texas or Oaklahoma

Want open space and large property? Try Wyoming.

Want to get away from people? Canada.

A friend of mine moved from CA to Franklin Tennessee and loves it there.

Another friend moved to Boring Oregon, but he found it boring, so he moved to Bend.

I have freinds who moved to: Michigan; Tennessee; Florida; Minnesota; Montana; Utah; Colorado; Texas; North Carolina; Washington DC; South Dakota; Oaklahoma; Arizona; and England.

Except for Arizona (too simlar to the problems in SO. Cal.), and Washington DC (Ditto); everyone seems happy with their choices.

There is a map somewhere that you can click on your city and see where people have recently moved to. It was posted (a link to it) on one of these threads somewhere.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is a map somewhere that you can click on your city and see where people have recently moved to. It was posted (a link to it) on one of these threads somewhere.
Really cool map.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
looks like most of californians are flocking to portlandia, lol. looks like that place will be definitely off my list of places to move to.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 PM

143 posts, read 431,547 times
elaineinsd2002 - Washington is beautiful. The islands are less accessable and more peaceful and tranquil, but you have to take the ferries to get from Seattle/Tacoma. If you can stay coastal, you can purchase real estate for a great price, comparatively.

Fabulous in the spring.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
People are moving all over the place. It does not seem wise to base your decision on where "everyone else" is moving. Find the place that is right for you. It depends on what you want.

Want to buy 20 houses? Move to Detroit and start your own villiage. Or buy a waterfront mansion in one of the beautiful suburbs.

Want to ski? Move to Colorado or Utah.

Want a job? Move to Texas or Oaklahoma

Want open space and large property? Try Wyoming.

Want to get away from people? Canada.

A friend of mine moved from CA to Franklin Tennessee and loves it there.

Another friend moved to Boring Oregon, but he found it boring, so he moved to Bend.

I have freinds who moved to: Michigan; Tennessee; Florida; Minnesota; Montana; Utah; Colorado; Texas; North Carolina; Washington DC; South Dakota; Oaklahoma; Arizona; and England.

Except for Arizona (too simlar to the problems in SO. Cal.), and Washington DC (Ditto); everyone seems happy with their choices.

An' we'uns thank y'all fer not mentionin' AR an' MO. Most of us don't take kindly to Kahleeforeigners who move to these here parts an' instantly want a Trader Joe's an' a Whole Foods market whilst they drive up the housing market.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
An' we'uns thank y'all fer not mentionin' AR an' MO.
I'm pretty sure they weren't left out due to kindness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County