U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM

232 posts, read 323,345 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Orange County from the UK and will be working in Irvine, I'm moving with my wife and 18 month old daughter. My wife will be a full time stay at home mother. We were looking at Irvine to rent a house but we really like the look of Newport Beach, however we are not sure what it is like for a young family? Anyone have any first hand experience?

Thanks for any advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 03:00 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,555,608 times
What part of Newport Beach? (The beach/bay part or the hills part?)

Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 PM

Which is better for families? I guess the beach part.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM

7,115 posts, read 19,005,164 times
the beach adjacent neighborhoods are very crowded and have a large amount of college students and recent grads, probably not the best place for a young family.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM

371 posts, read 646,395 times
There are some areas, including areas by the beach, that are great for families. There are a few areas to avoid. The biggest holdup is the houses/apartments in the family areas next to the beach are that they can be expensive and, often, small. But, if you are coming from the UK, you may be used to living in a place that is in 1000-1500sq range, relative to the 3000sq range many in the US are accustomed to.

Good family areas next to the beach:

Lido Island
Balboa Island
Peninsula Point (around Balboa Blvd and Ocean Blvd, between G Street and Channel)
Flower Streets (this is in Corona Del Mar, around Pacific Coast Highway, between Avacado and Poppy)
Cameo Shores (also in CDM, past Poppy, next to Pelican Hill Golf course)

If you are looking to rent, the best places will be Balboa Island, Peninsula Point and the Flower Streets. Lido Island has fewer apartments or rental places, and Cameo Shores is just single family houses, with very few rentals.

Good family areas that are close to the beach, but not as close as above:

Irvine Terrace (this is next to the Flower Streets in CDM, between Avacado and Jamberee on the ocean side of PCH)
Newport Heights (this is above PCH, bordered by Newport Blvd, 17th Street and Irvine Ave)

Irvine Terrace is just single family houses, and Newport Heights has a mostly houses, but also a decent amount of apartments.

Good family areas that are further away from the beach:

Harbor View Homes (or also known as the "Port Streets," this is the top family neighborhood in all of Newport, and perhaps all of Orange County; bordered by McArther Blvd, San Miguel, Bonita Canyon Drive and San Joaquin Hills Drive)

The Port Streets is only single family houses.

Areas to Avoid:

West Newport (areas around Balboa Blvd from the Newport Pier/21st street all the way up to PCH, and the areas along River Ave and Seashore Dr.. This is the place that people think of when they are picturing a crowded beach area with lots of young people)

Balboa Pier area (area along Balboa Blvd next to pier, between about C Street and Coronado Street; basically the same crowd as West Newport)

--

The bottom line is that there are plenty of places in Newport that are family friendly, even near the beach. If you are buying, you will be looking at $1,000,000 as a starting point. But, if you are renting, and are willing to live in a smaller space, you should not have a problem finding a good little apartment on a great street, next to the beach, with lots of families around and lots of character. With $2500, you will probably be able to find a decent place.

Irvine has a reputation as a great family city, and it is -- especially the schools. For renting, it is not always a whole bunch cheaper, you will just get more space and a more modern place. Also, Irvine is known as a very boring and monotonous suburb, with very little character. This does not bother some people, and is in fact a plus for some, because it makes for a good atmposphere to raise a child. But, if you want character, charm, walkability and a more interesting lifestyle, I suggest you look in the neighborhoods I suggest above near the beach.

Feel free to send me a "direct message" if you want more information, I know the area very well. Westside Rentals.com is a decent place to start, google it, but you will have to pay to get on there.

Last edited by bowneline; 09-20-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 712 times
Hi! How about the Eastbluff area and north near the back bay for young families?

Old 08-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Wow this thread brings back memories :-)

In the end we moved to Irvine which was definitely the right move and lived there for 6 years. Wish we had bought then instead of renting.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM

5,098 posts, read 2,730,096 times
If you have money. Otherwise the "affordable" parts of Newport Beach along the 55 are kind of crummy and grungy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or