Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 AM

525 posts, read 899,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans4you View Post
I think Orange County is excellent because it's in between San Diego and LA the two places I would drive to alot plus it has nice beaches.
Yes if you can afford it but inland is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM

45 posts, read 109,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Yes if you can afford it but inland is a different story.
I prefer inland but not too far from beach because that way you pay less for your property while still being able to drive to the beach. Also you will be safe from future tsunamis.

Last edited by evans4you; 10-05-2011 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM

258 posts, read 533,451 times
Quote:
I prefer inland but not too far from beach because that way you pay less for your property while still being able to drive to the beach. Also you will be safe from future tsunamis.
I would take a look a a real estate site like Trulia and plug in what you are looking for.

Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent

Look at a map and move away from the coast until $3 mil gives you what you are looking for.

Calling a real estate agent would be a good idea as well.

Here is Irvine.

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Irvin...4000000_price/

Regarding Tsunamis, I believe I heard that due to the location of the topographic fault lines near or on California, even though earthquakes are common here a Tsunami is extremely unlikely.

Last edited by jwblue; 10-05-2011 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 17,722 times
nowhere! wherever you go in orange county you ll find no cheaper than $350k for an average house in a decent area. if price is your only one concern then i suggest that you move south to riverside county area

Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,493 times
You'd find me in Laguna Beach, in a mid-century bungalow with an ocean view.... Hmmm, nice daydream!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcy2004 View Post
nowhere! wherever you go in orange county you ll find no cheaper than $350k for an average house in a decent area. if price is your only one concern then i suggest that you move south to riverside county area
my budget is a minimum of 1 million and a maximum of 3.5 million

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
I would take a look a a real estate site like Trulia and plug in what you are looking for.

Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent

Look at a map and move away from the coast until $3 mil gives you what you are looking for.

Calling a real estate agent would be a good idea as well.

Here is Irvine.

Irvine Real Estate & Irvine Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Regarding Tsunamis, I believe I heard that due to the location of the topographic fault lines near or on California, even though earthquakes are common here a Tsunami is extremely unlikely.
Okay the verdict is out, I just contacted a realtor and he told that the best and most sought after areas that are nice and similar to beverly hills/bel-air are 1-Nellie Gail, 2-Coto De Caza, 3-San Juan Capistrano. The other places that are also nice but newer and offer abit of a different vibe but not nearly as much bang for your buck are 1-Shady Canyon, 2-Newport Coast. I'll definately be looking at these five locations.

Last edited by evans4you; 10-07-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 11:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Okay the verdict is out, I just contacted a realtor and he told that the best and most sought after areas that are nice and similar to beverly hills/bel-air are 1-Nellie Gail, 2-Coto De Caza, 3-San Juan Capistrano. The other places that are also nice but newer and offer abit of a different vibe but not nearly as much bang for your buck are 1-Shady Canyon, 2-Newport Coast. I'll definitely be looking at these five locations.
Understandthat these are just the realtor's opinions. There are lots of similar areas. That is what people have been trying to explain. OC does not have just one elite area. There are lots of them and they are pretty much equal. It all depends on what you want. Your budget is a little light for some of the nicer ocean front areas like Laguna or Corona Del Mar, but there are some places in there that you could afford. There are probably 25 places like you describe that are in your price range. Some are just one subdivision, some are entire towns. OC does not have one or two locations where all of the richest people tend to hang out. It is scattered. Multi million dollar homes are common all over the place.

Coto is a mix. I have friends who make less than $200K who live in Coto. There is a ritzier part of coto though.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Understandthat these are just the realtor's opinions. There are lots of similar areas. That is what people have been trying to explain. OC does not have just one elite area. There are lots of them and they are pretty much equal. It all depends on what you want. Your budget is a little light for some of the nicer ocean front areas like Laguna or Corona Del Mar, but there are some places in there that you could afford. There are probably 25 places like you describe that are in your price range. Some are just one subdivision, some are entire towns. OC does not have one or two locations where all of the richest people tend to hang out. It is scattered. Multi million dollar homes are common all over the place.

Coto is a mix. I have friends who make less than $200K who live in Coto. There is a ritzier part of coto though.
I can afford to spend alittle more but not knowing the property taxes I don't want to be stuck with a property where I have to shell out $100,000 every year in property taxes. Los Angeles does very well with taxes, the rate is set at 1.25% of the property value so it's very easy to shop there.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM

590 posts, read 1,248,883 times
Quote:
I can afford to spend alittle more but not knowing the property taxes I don't want to be stuck with a property where I have to shell out $100,000 every year in property taxes. Los Angeles does very well with taxes, the rate is set at 1.25% of the property value so it's very easy to shop there.

remember tho that Coto is pretty far from the ocean...since that was one paramater that you listed (I think)...our prop taxes are similar to LA..look up Prop 13 which is state wide..yes the taxes can and do go up each year..but the increase is limited(which is why some will say our schools are suffering a bit)...your taxes WILL depend upon the price you pay initially..ie..those of us in the same house for 25 years..even tho we paid less,,the value has increased..but our taxes each year sorta "creep" up..on a single cul de sac,,for example..where all the homes are similar in size ..those who are original or older owners are paying much less than those who bought when the values were much higher..for instance..our across the street neighbor..original owner (think thes houses cost about 100K brand new in 1973)..pays less than 1K per year..we have been here 26 years..values have crept up..think our prop tax bill is about 6.5K now..as I said..goes up a tad each year..but when one goes on the market for mayber 1.3 million..their tax base is wayyyy higher than those of us who have been here for years..
thanks to prop 13..

good luck...BTW Nellie Gail is lovely..has some mcmansions..some tract homes..about 4 miles from ocean..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County