U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM

20,516 posts, read 10,908,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i did
Me too. Though technically it's Newport Coast. He lives down the street from a friend of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 PM

158 posts, read 341,302 times
If I personally had 3 million to drop on a home, it wouldn't be in CA. You would not get "the most bang for your buck" anywhere in CA, in my opinion. Since we're dreaming, I'd pay cash for a nice chunk of land in the South, set my kids up for life, invest, and buy a NASCAR team

Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM

4,764 posts, read 4,411,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
If I personally had 3 million to drop on a home, it wouldn't be in CA. You would not get "the most bang for your buck" anywhere in CA, in my opinion. Since we're dreaming, I'd pay cash for a nice chunk of land in the South, set my kids up for life, invest, and buy a NASCAR team
Same here, I'd pick the Swiss Alps or Hong Kong even though 3mm might be a little too tight for either option..

Old 10-31-2011, 01:57 PM

241 posts, read 235,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evans4you View Post
Okay the verdict is out, I just contacted a realtor and he told that the best and most sought after areas that are nice and similar to beverly hills/bel-air are 1-Nellie Gail, 2-Coto De Caza, 3-San Juan Capistrano. The other places that are also nice but newer and offer abit of a different vibe but not nearly as much bang for your buck are 1-Shady Canyon, 2-Newport Coast. I'll definately be looking at these five locations.
A lot of it depends on what you are looking for. Using the Bel Air/Beverly Hills comparison, the realtor might think you were looking for land/privacy/large square footage. That is what many of the places in Bel Air have, and in OC, you will also find those characteristics in Coto De Caza and San Juan Capistrano (Hunt Club etc...). Shady Canyon would also probably fit the bill.

But, that does not mean those places are the best and/or most sought after areas in OC. In other words, pick 100 random people in OC and ask them where they would live if they had $3 million to spend, and I highly doubt that Nellie Gail would be anywhere near the top of the list. I would guess, however, that Newport Beach and Laguna Beach would have strong shownings.

If you are going to live in OC and Southern California, why live inland, in a house and on a street that could be in any one of hundreds of gated communities around the world.

When people in OC are daydreaming about hitting the lottery and having $3 million to spend, they are picturing themselves perched over a pretty cove in Laguna Beach, or a bayfront home with a dock and boat on Balboa Island, or with 180 degree ocean views in Newport Coast -- not in Nellie Gail.

Just my take.

If I had $3 million, I would be in Penninsula Point in Newport Beach. It's a quiet, family neighborhood right on the beach.

Last edited by bowneline; 10-31-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM

200 posts, read 241,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
A lot of it depends on what you are looking for. Using the Bel Air/Beverly Hills comparison, the realtor might think you were looking for land/privacy/large square footage. That is what many of the places in Bel Air have, and in OC, you will also find those characteristics in Coto De Caza and San Juan Capistrano (Hunt Club etc...). Shady Canyon would also probably fit the bill.

But, that does not mean those places are the best and/or most sought after areas in OC. In other words, pick 100 random people in OC and ask them where they would live if they had $3 million to spend, and I highly doubt that Nellie Gail would be anywhere near the top of the list. I would guess, however, that Newport Beach and Laguna Beach would have strong shownings.

If you are going to live in OC and Southern California, why live inland, in a house and on a street that could be in any one of hundreds of gated communities around the world.

When people in OC are daydreaming about hitting the lottery and having $3 million to spend, they are picturing themselves perched over a pretty cove in Laguna Beach, or a bayfront home with a dock and boat on Balboa Island, or with 180 degree ocean views in Newport Coast -- not in Nellie Gail.

Just my take.

If I had $3 million, I would be in Penninsula Point in Newport Beach. It's a quiet, family neighborhood right on the beach.
Hard to get privacy and space in Newport Beach with a view. Balboa Island etc is packed in like sardines. You can get this in other areas of Orange County (Villa Park, Peralta Hills, Tustin Foothills etc).

Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 PM

241 posts, read 235,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpal View Post
Hard to get privacy and space in Newport Beach with a view. Balboa Island etc is packed in like sardines. You can get this in other areas of Orange County (Villa Park, Peralta Hills, Tustin Foothills etc).
Space and Privacy in Newport Beach = Newport Coast, Harbor Ridge

Balboa Island is packed in, but it still cost $2-$4 million to get a house there, so can't turn too many people off

Last edited by bowneline; 11-06-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM

200 posts, read 241,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
Space and Privacy in Newport Beach = Newport Coast, Harbor Ridge

Balboa Island is packed in, but it still cost $2-$4 million to get a house there, so can't turn too many people off
A lot of people have 2nd homes on Balboa Island and live elsewhere, also you can find plenty of homes for under <2 Mill on the Island. The rental rates on the island are pretty ridiculous (especially in the summer time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County