Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM

13 posts, read 27,417 times

Advertisements

I will be in HB/Newport Beach on December 2nd for 2 nights and I was looking for best place to stay that is within walking/taxi distance to some good nightlife. Looking to go out meet some people and have a good time.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Trying to decide if I want to move there or not so local places are prefered. I know 2 nights isn't enough time but its all I got.

Pura vida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
i'd stay at the hyatt regency in HB if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks. main st HB is walkable from there and NB is a fairly short cab ride away. the nightlife in both cities is focused around their respective piers.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:42 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
OC is very much like Long Island without winter and mountains.

I also relocated from Long Island. (Port Jeff area). Found it very easy to make friends. Just Don't be a loud mouth New Yorker and complain about the Pizza/Bagels (try to get Decent Mexican Food in NY).

You will notice that the nightlife around here tends to die around 10 pm, as opposed to NY where it doesn't get started until 10pm).

I prefer hanging out at Dive Bars: Blackies (Newport) Goat Hill (Costa Mesa)

But if you like the Guido/D-Bag scene there are plenty of clubs to handle that (You cannot say Sutra Lounge without using the word "D-Bag" in the same sentence.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 PM

13 posts, read 27,417 times
I am with you on dive bars and I appreciate the insight, I am in the Patchogue area. I prefer more tommys and billys style. If you dont mind me bouncing some questions off you in the future I'd appreciate it. This will be make second visit and hopefully remain there.

what made you move there and when?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru27sty View Post
I will be in HB/Newport Beach on December 2nd for 2 nights and I was looking for best place to stay that is within walking/taxi distance to some good nightlife. Looking to go out meet some people and have a good time.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Trying to decide if I want to move there or not so local places are prefered. I know 2 nights isn't enough time but its all I got.

Pura vida.
I would look for second tier hotels under the Hilton and Marriott chains (not "the Marriott" and not "the Hilton"); places like Residence Inn, Homewood Suites, Courtyard, Hampton Inn, etc. You get free shuttle service, free internet, free breakfast, free dinner, free beer and wine, and a gym. The top tier places, "the Marriott" and "the Hilton" nickle and dime you for everything.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I like the Balboa Inn (I think it is called). It is right on the beach in Balboa villiage. This little inn was once owned by Kareem Abdul Jabbar who had a room modified for his pro basketball player friends. The door is 8' or more high and the bed is extra long. It is not that nice, but off season it is pretty cheap for a beach front place. It is right in the center of Balboa Village, so you do not have to drive anywhere.

You can walk to:

Newport Landing (Have their specialty drink Big Kahuna and see if you can make it all the way back to your hotel).

"Saloon" - Mostly locals. Typical small pub. I was banned form there when I accidentally hit a pool cue ball behind the bar and smashed abot 25 glasses. Ooops.

Class of 47. This is an odd place. Kind of scary. Mostly older wierd crowd.

There are a couple of others that I am forgetting.

You can walk about a mile to Newport pier and find two or three other dive bars (mentioned above). There is a neat irish pub just up a little from Newport pier.

You can take the ferry to the island and walk about a mile to Village Inn, or Villiage Corner or something like that.

I forgot to look to see if it is still there, but right across the street from the Balboa Inn is a blues bar that claims to have invented the glowing blue drink called "Adios Motherf***er"

It si a short drive to Goathill tavern. A great bar with over 100 beers on tap. It is kind of a treny yuppie place, but it is still fun. There is a best Western near Goat Hill Tavern, but there is not a whole lot of other things in walking distance there.

Is Zoobies still in Costa Mesa? I have not looked for it in more than a decade. That would be a great place to visit. Go on Prime Rib night and stay until you fall over (if you have a DD).

Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru27sty View Post
I am with you on dive bars and I appreciate the insight, I am in the Patchogue area. I prefer more tommys and billys style. If you dont mind me bouncing some questions off you in the future I'd appreciate it. This will be make second visit and hopefully remain there.

what made you move there and when?
Billys was one of my favorite Port Jeff Hangouts.
There are some good ones in HB as well as Newport.

There are also some pretty decent Hotels along PCH that run around 60-100 night (the Ramada Inn at Sunset Beach runs about $70, Although it is a bit ratty, it has a beach view and is close enough to some good places to Hang out in the northern part of the town.

Feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County