U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM

23 posts, read 30,065 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in desperate need of a long term "foster home" for our 2 year old male Goldendoodle. In August we signed a lease for a home with the understanding that we had a dog. The landlord was fine with this. However, after signing the papers and paying the first months rent, they decided that they no longer would allow the dog. They just installed new carpet. They would not allow us to get out of the lease unless we wanted to pay a SEVERE penalty fee!

We are completely heartbroken at the thought of having to live apart from him. He is 100% a member of our family. In 2009 "Santa" left him under our Christmas tree in a big re box with a big red ribbon for our 3 year old daughter. The two of them are attached at the hip. She dresses him up, has tea parties with him, snuggles with him. We have walked into the room on numerous occasion and found him sleeping with a pillow under his head, our daughter sleeping on his stomach and both covered with a giant blanket.

His temperament is the best. He is sweet, kind, gentle, loving, thinks he is a lap dog,playful and obedient! He is 50 pounds, has the height of the poodle, very thin build, looks like a giant stuffed animal, with an irish setter red coloring. He does not shed and is hypo allergenic.

We will be out of our lease in August and will be able o gave him back full time! We are moving back East to a home with a yard

What we need is a loving nome for him to stay in from January to July or August. A home where he will be loved and taken care of. I understand that some people may mis-understand this and think we are looking for a "forever" home for him. So let me be clear.....we ARE NOT looking to get rid of our golden doodle in any way. We are ONLY looking for a temporary foster family for our dog until we are able to house him. Ido not recommend families with children for this situation........simply because the kids will get attached to him. It would be too difficult to give him back.

Wenwill cover his vet, any medical emergencies, flea and tick medicine, food etc. We simply need a home for him to be loved and taken care of from January to July or august.

If you are interested or know someone who would be...please let me know! We are de aster that we are in this situation and can no longer hide him here.

Thank you!

Last edited by RelocatingToNC2012; 11-23-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,141,183 times
Sue the bast_____. Seriously.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,087,572 times
Default Ug!

HOPEFULLY you had it in writing that your dog would be allowed on the original LEASE YOU SIGNED!!!
I'd be sooooo peeeeved!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 PM

We listed on the agreement that their was a pet. We paid the pet deposit. The landlord did not deposit cash the pet deposit......we honestly have been trying to fight it the past three months and have gotten no where! We have even gotten a written letter from a de. Saying that he is a service dog....which he is registered. Apparently they have the right to refuse.

We have him with my good friend for now. She is pregnant with a toddler and already has her Han full.....a dog is not something she needs right now....but she is helping us u till we find another solution. We will not kennel him and many boarding facilities are not good environments.

I know that there is a home and family that will take him in and love him in the meantime........I just need to find them

Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 PM

374 posts, read 481,597 times
What can the landlord do if you just ignore him?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:23 AM

Evict us and charge us the fee

I really have exhausted every option. We need to just move past it and find a place! We can not risk eviction and don't have the time or money to take legal action and fight them.

If anyone knows of someone who can help withbfinding him a foster home....temporarily....please let usbknow

Old 11-24-2011, 01:24 AM

4,405 posts, read 5,926,580 times
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for you. Well, first, is there any way you can find another place that will allow pets? But, as mentioned above, I'm wondering what the landlord can do if you just move in with the dog. Or maybe, move in without the dog, and then bring him back after things get settled down. Does the landlord live on premises? You are not even going to be there for a year. What can he do, evict you? But you have in writing that the dog was allowed. I suppose he could put a padlock on the dloor, though. Darn, as a fellow dog owner, I feel really bad.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,633,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingToNC2012 View Post
We listed on the agreement that their was a pet. We paid the pet deposit. The landlord did not deposit cash the pet deposit......we honestly have been trying to fight it the past three months and have gotten no where! We have even gotten a written letter from a de. Saying that he is a service dog....which he is registered. Apparently they have the right to refuse.

We have him with my good friend for now. She is pregnant with a toddler and already has her Han full.....a dog is not something she needs right now....but she is helping us u till we find another solution. We will not kennel him and many boarding facilities are not good environments.

I know that there is a home and family that will take him in and love him in the meantime........I just need to find them
Is there a disabled tenant using the service animal? If so, the landlord will be violating ADA laws if he refuses your service animal. If there is no disabled tenant that uses the assistance of the service animal, then the animal is just a pet and you have no such protection.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you

Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 AM

374 posts, read 481,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingToNC2012 View Post
Evict us and charge us the fee
What fee? I thought the fee is if you choose to move out? Eviction could take forever.

Have you talked to a lawyer? I'd think the landlord would have a tough time winning this one.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:27 AM

He would charge us 6 months rent for violating the contract. Like I mentioned we have been hiding him here and with everything else that we have going on tint now in our lives with health issues, work, school we cam not risk eviction or afford lawyer fees! The landlord lives down the road but their best friends live across the street needless to say they talk often and hiding him has been VERY difficult and is no way for him to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County