Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 AM

347 posts, read 666,499 times

Advertisements

[quote=antarez;22268789]
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I've known a few people who grew up there and were used to the sounds of frequent gunshots, but as used to it as they were, they couldn't wait to get the hell outta there!
"I've known..." Awesome. That's where the BS starts.

[quote=antarez;22268789]
Quote:
The few times that I've driven through there, I feel a strong need to shower and change
I know a few Moderator cut: Slur who readily admit Santa Ana is a dump.
Why would Moderator cut: Slur say its safe? They are the ones causing all the problems! Of course they don't think its safe because there are others after them! Your typical family isn't going to get shot, why? Because most aren't Moderator cut: Slur

There certainly are neighborhoods that need to be "fixed" but you can't be going around generalizing the whole city. By the way, if you really feel like you need to shower up after passing Santa Ana, the city doesn't have the problem, you do...

[quote=antarez;22268789]
Quote:
When gangbangers think it's an unsafe high crime area that says alot!
Once again. They are the root of the problems, they are the ones getting shot at, why would they say its safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Get real !!! All you have to do is look at all the graffitti and trash and you can tell it's not the better part of OC.

Santa Ana is " safe" compared to Compton or Watts, but it's still the worst City in Orange County.
I thought i laid it out for you in my last post. Compton population: 96,455. Santa Ana population 324,528. Compton is comparable to Mission Viejo, not Santa Ana.

I didn't say it was the "better" part of OC. I specifically said in my last post: "You can't be comparing small towns to big cities such as Santa Ana. The only other city you can compare to Santa Ana in OC is Anaheim! THAT will give you perspective." Relax, I never stated Santa Ana was a "better" place to live in than say... Irvine, i just tried to state some facts to show that Santa Ana isn't "Little Mexico" as some say. Its a relatively safe city for ITS SIZE. You have to have the mental capacity to understand the "SIZE" aspect of this conversation.

You have to get real with the facts. Of course, if you wanna compare Santa Ana to Lake Forest, Mission, or Irvine, go ahead, but your comparing Apples to Oranges. Its obvious Santa Ana isn't the best place to live in Orange County because its up against some very tough competition... it has Irvine next door, c'mon. In general, Santa Ana is a safe city (if you aren't dealing drugs and joining gangs) for its size. A lot more goes on in Santa Ana because there is 4X more people than say... Mission Viejo. I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

Heck, i know of specific neighborhoods that are dangerous in the city (i certainly dont need a shower if i do pass through them ) but i also know areas that i would be fine living in because they are as normal as can be.

Happy Holidays! Cheers!

Last edited by bhcompy; 12-28-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
A lot more goes on in Santa Ana because there is 4X more people than say... Mission Viejo. I don't see why that's so hard to understand.
Crime RATES are expressed per thousand of population. The crime RATE in Santa Ana is the highest in the county. Don't pretend the only reason Santa Ana has more crime than Mission Viejo is because it has a higher population.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:42 PM

82 posts, read 165,721 times
Santa Ana definitely has some great neighborhood (look up Floral Park). The main problem is that great neighborhoods are next to crappy ones. Even Floral Park tries to separate itself from being in Santa Ana. Floral Park is gorgeous. Would I live there? Hell No!!!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallo View Post
Santa Ana definitely has some great neighborhood (look up Floral Park). The main problem is that great neighborhoods are next to crappy ones. Even Floral Park tries to separate itself from being in Santa Ana. Floral Park is gorgeous. Would I live there? Hell No!!!
For the kind of money it takes to buy in Floral Park, you'd have plenty of choices elsewhere that aren't surrounded by Santa Ana.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 PM

82 posts, read 165,721 times
Definitely!!!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallo View Post
Another aspect often overlooked is the large immigrant population, legal and illegal.

Often times in these areas there is alot of crimes not reported due to cultural differences( mistrust of police in their countries of origin, etc..) legal status ( not wanting to get deported).

Santa Ana is much safer then alot of enclaves of Los Angeles, not the rest of OC.

BTW OCplanner Santa Ana's ever growing ILLEGAL Alien population just imports in more poverty in general from Mexico and more crime . Someting that is often overlooked in crime stats, city brochures and the PC Liberal politicians and media. Most of the Illegal Aliens from Mexico are it's lower class poor and uneducated. The higher educated and middle to upperclass Mexicans don't have to come over Illegally.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
Statistically speaking, you're a little more likely to be a victim of crime in Santa Ana than Irvine (probably less than 2x more likely.)

But it doesn't say much about Santa Ana when Irvine's one of the safest cities in the country (with over 100,000 people.)

Irvine IS decidedly safer than Santa Ana.. but the perceptions of Santa Ana being utterly unsafe and Irvine being utterly safe are both a bit overblown here, imho.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
[quote=Urban Planner;22269107]
Quote:

Relax, I never stated Santa Ana was a "better" place to live in than say... Irvine . . .

Happy Holidays! Cheers!

For some it is a better palce to live. Personally I would and did choose to live in Santa Ana over Irvine or one of its clones. There are other places I prefer to either (like Silverado, Old Town Orange, Balboa, Seal Beach, Laguna . . .) However given only those two choices - Santa Ana or Irvine (or any of the half dozen or so Irvine clone cities), I would prefer to live in Santa Ana. I know quite a few people who feel the same way. It is a matter of personal preferences.

As smomeone noted, for the cost of a home in Floral Park you could buy a home elsewhere in Orange County. So why is Floral Park so full up? Why didn't all of those rich people move out? Why do some business owners, lawyers and doctors live in Santa ANa when they can afford to live in Irvine or Aliso Viejo?

Becase we like it better.

Fortunately there are a few hundred thousand people who perfer Irvine and its clones and those places are there for them to be happy in. And they are glad that the Santa Ana types are not there.

There are at least a few thousand who prefer Santa Ana and it is there for them to be happy in. And they are glad the Ivine types are not there.

What a wonderful world, something for everyone.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 PM

347 posts, read 666,499 times
[quote=Coldjensens;22284734]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post

For some it is a better palce to live. Personally I would and did choose to live in Santa Ana over Irvine or one of its clones. There are other places I prefer to either (like Silverado, Old Town Orange, Balboa, Seal Beach, Laguna . . .) However given only those two choices - Santa Ana or Irvine (or any of the half dozen or so Irvine clone cities), I would prefer to live in Santa Ana. I know quite a few people who feel the same way. It is a matter of personal preferences.

As smomeone noted, for the cost of a home in Floral Park you could buy a home elsewhere in Orange County. So why is Floral Park so full up? Why didn't all of those rich people move out? Why do some business owners, lawyers and doctors live in Santa ANa when they can afford to live in Irvine or Aliso Viejo?

Becase we like it better.

Fortunately there are a few hundred thousand people who perfer Irvine and its clones and those places are there for them to be happy in. And they are glad that the Santa Ana types are not there.

There are at least a few thousand who prefer Santa Ana and it is there for them to be happy in. And they are glad the Ivine types are not there.

EXACTLY, and that's why we live in Santa Ana. I just don't understand why there still are people that see only see Santa Ana as the worst pothole in society. To me, that just shows complete ignorance. I have a hard time dealing with those types of people.

Quote:
Another aspect often overlooked is the large immigrant population, legal and illegal.

Often times in these areas there is alot of crimes not reported due to cultural differences( mistrust of police in their countries of origin, etc..) legal status ( not wanting to get deported).

Santa Ana is much safer then alot of enclaves of Los Angeles, not the rest of OC.

BTW OCplanner Santa Ana's ever growing ILLEGAL Alien population just imports in more poverty in general from Mexico and more crime . Someting that is often overlooked in crime stats, city brochures and the PC Liberal politicians and media. Most of the Illegal Aliens from Mexico are it's lower class poor and uneducated. The higher educated and middle to upperclass Mexicans don't have to come over Illegally.
Why are you the only one bringing this stuff up? I live in a melting pot neighborhood with Latinos, Asians, and Arabs and its the best thing that has ever happened to us. If you like to live where everyone looks the same, well, be it, i don't, and neither does my family. I don't care if they are legal or not, it doesn't matter to me, I have never understood why people take into account whether people are here legally or not, it ain't my problem. Immigration issue have another forum.

By the way, according to this, Santa Ana just isn't safer than a lot of enclaves in L.A, its the 4th safest city in America.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/egim4...nta-ana-calif/

Happy Holidays! Cheers!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 PM

258 posts, read 533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

What are Irvine types?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County