Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
. . . I think young people (especially high school age) are much more stylish in OC then they are in many other other places.
Certinly true of the school our kids attend now. Jeans and Ts are pretty much the standard despite this being a fairly wealthy area. One of my daughters wore simple skirts because she did not like wearing pants, but no fashion competition at the high school here. High heels are not allowed, nor are bare midriffs. Fishnet stockings would get laughed out the door, an would anything see through. More focus on "are you a good person" what on what brands are you wearing. (Of course there is the typical are you pretty focus, but not dependent on dressing like a high priced hooker).

To the extnt that there is much of the So Ca. type material competitiveness, it is generally about cell phones. However even there many kids still have a practical outloook (but not all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
People here love the casual look. Flip-flops and sweats everywhere. Jeans even on a nice date. What I don't get is how even during the coldest winter days here, I see plenty of people around wearing shorts like it was summer or something. I'd love to get away with shopping at the malls in my sweats and a ponytail and no makeup, but I always get much better service when I'm not so frumpy.
I hear you about shopping when comfy, I usually dress in cargo shorts/ jeans and polo shirts. But I feel underdressed at SCP if I'm not wearing nice clothes!

The funny thing is this being the "flaunt it" OC many of the casual looking clothes you see people wearing are really expensive. Only in OC could people take jeans and a t-shirt and turn it into a $400 outfit with $200 jeans, $100 flip flops and the T shirts that are $100!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
I think those two malls draw 50/50 local/tourists.

Like outlet malls, some "regional" malls go outside of serving the "region".

Also, you have to remember that some malls become "super regional" malls that draw from all over the region.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Funny I avoid both of them and go to Mainplace mostly (if I cannot find what I need at Home Depot or Target). I want a mall that I can get into and out of as quickly as possible. However I do like to wander around or just sit in Fashion Island at Christmas. It has a nice atmosphere and if you are not shopping, it is pleasant.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
The closest mall to me is the Westminster Mall, which except for a nice Target store is a festering craphole.

If get the rare urge to "Hang Around" a mall:Fashion Island is the place to go.
For gift shopping, I'll go to South Coast Plaza.

For everything else, I can usually find it at Target

For viweing human oddities when the County Fair is not running: WalMart®.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,146 times
I shop at SCP for work attire, sadly for work I have to dress like an adult...
But it is funny, like the OP said, even when I am there I see people wearing sweats, pj pants and flip flops and I wonder why they don't wear their nicer clothes when they are out buying more clothes.
Oh well, the mysteries of the citizenry.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
I didn't even realize there was different types of mall experiences til I came to this thread.

So there is gift shopping, people watching and hang out, and clothing shopping.

I guess it would make sense if you want to get a gift to go to a nice mall where as everyday clothes you would go to a mall with more affordable stores or to a discount department store like Wal-Mart, Target, or Kohl's. And to hang out you want to go to the mall with the most people.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
lumpy sweats, old sneakers, flip flops, or other unfashionable clothing
What do you think the high end stores carry??? I was in 5th ave & found a pair of brand new "old" sneakers, fashionably weathered to look like a bum left them in a ditch. $500

Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM

52 posts, read 108,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Orange County has some of the most wonderful retail in the country. South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island has every high end designer store you could ever hope for, and there are beautiful department stores such as Neiman Marcus, Saks, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom - all within a stone's throw of one another. With all this amazing shopping that rivals New York City, who buys? Most people in Orange County seem perfectly content running around in lumpy sweats, old sneakers, flip flops, or other unfashionable clothing - much like people do in most parts of the country. I would have expected that people in such a fashion mecca dress a bit nicer than they do. It's such a strange dichotomy to see so many dowdily dressed people in the shadow of countless high-end clothing stores. So who shops at all these stores?
I was wondering the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Those stores are four tourists so we can collect sales tax from them. We shop at Target aand St. Vincent De Paul. Are you not aware of what it costs to live in Orange County? There is no money left for fashion.

OR my fav: Wally World!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
People here love the casual look. Flip-flops and sweats everywhere. Jeans even on a nice date. What I don't get is how even during the coldest winter days here, I see plenty of people around wearing shorts like it was summer or something. I'd love to get away with shopping at the malls in my sweats and a ponytail and no makeup, but I always get much better service when I'm not so frumpy.
The coldest winter days in Orange County are, what, 50 degrees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County