U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 PM

3,136 posts, read 1,427,522 times
Default Unpermitted dwellings in OC.

526 W Houston Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832 MLS# c11162025 - Zillow

Here's a 4 bedroom home illegally converted to an unpermitted 8 bedroom home.

I'm sure there are many across OC , especially among Illegal aliens. no permits, insurance and a fire hazard at that.

The County should take legal actions against these places to alleviate crowded streets, fire hazards and over burdened infrastructure.

These people would live in cardboard shacks if allowed to, just like they do in their homelands. To those LEGAL Americans that do this they should be held accountable.

Not too long ago in Costa Mesa they had some kid die in a fire because he was living in an unpermitted garage conversion and the doors were locked.

There are patios, garages and walk in closets used for living spaces around OC that are Illegal and not up to code. The county should invest some money into policing this as the fines, property seizures would pay for themselves.

Also lessening overcrowded streets and infrastructure and in the proccess eliminating crime and blight.

If this is not addressed it will only worsen and neighborhoods will continue to worsen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,949,248 times
If they tried, the maldef crowd would sue for discrimination.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 PM

389 posts, read 315,008 times
Have you contacted the city of Fullerton's Department of Building & Safety?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 AM

455 posts, read 557,660 times
I'm not against it, OC needs more housing to decrease housing cost. People are living on the streets because they can't afford rent. That's sad. How is the working poor (ie. people working at walmart for 8-10$/hr) suppose to live? We need to build more housing units so ATLEAST these people can rent a room in a house.

Then we have the Moderator cut: language OP complaining because some (smart) person added 4 extra bedrooms. If the owner is renting those out he is pulling in 2k/month extra rent at least.

Last edited by bhcompy; 01-01-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 AM

839 posts, read 890,957 times
I realize that many build or alter their dwellings without permits. Personally, I have no problem with that IF the person/s doing so actually know what they're doing and can do whatever they're doing safely especially when it comes to things such as electrical.

But, the OP does have a point in that many conversions, additions, etc. that are done without permits are done by people who, while they may have good intentions, do not know what they are doing and who thus put their and/or other lives at risk.

Southern California is a very expensive area to live in and many of us (myself included) who have jobs, often making more than the $8-10 WalMart and still can't afford the rental costs. It is sad that housing costs are so out of line with wages, and this is something that should be addressed.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
I'm not against it, OC needs more housing to decrease housing cost. People are living on the streets because they can't afford rent. That's sad. How is the working poor (ie. people working at walmart for 8-10$/hr) suppose to live? We need to build more housing units so ATLEAST these people can rent a room in a house.
People aren't living in the street because they can't afford rent. They live in the street because they're mentally ill, drug addicted, and/or alcoholic who can't get their lives together enough to cover a basic need. The working poor rent a room in someone's house, live with family, or move to a cheaper area.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 AM

1,027 posts, read 558,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
People aren't living in the street because they can't afford rent. They live in the street because they're mentally ill, drug addicted, and/or alcoholic who can't get their lives together enough to cover a basic need. The working poor rent a room in someone's house, live with family, or move to a cheaper area.
A hateful, ridiculous post from a person who lives in a tiny little bubble, having zero contact with reality. It's OK, as economy gets worse (and it will), the reality will come and knock on the doors of the likes of this poster, and it won't be pretty I assure you.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
A hateful, ridiculous post from a person who lives in a tiny little bubble, having zero contact with reality. It's OK, as economy gets worse (and it will), the reality will come and knock on the doors of the likes of this poster, and it won't be pretty I assure you.
You honestly think rational people just say "Well, I can't afford $2000/mo for rent so I'll go live on the street"? No, they find cheaper living arrangements. I know I guy who's unemployed, having a terrible time of it, and he rents a room. He sleeps on the floor while his daughter gets the bed. It sucks, but that's what rational people do instead of sleeping under a bench. Tons of people live with parents or extended family to save money. Many even live in cheap motels. Others just leave the area because its too expensive. Rational people find a way to keep a roof over their head. You seem to be under the impression that homelessness is like lightning that can just happen to anyone at random.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,962,028 times
There are several around South Orange County like the one in the OP's post. We've been house hunting, and there was a house in Mission Viejo, that was "drive by" only, and our agent told us that half the backyard had been converted into a tent city, and most of the bedrooms had been partitioned off. But the house was a great deal, and would just need a lot of clean up.

No, thank you.

V. =)

Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
There are several around South Orange County like the one in the OP's post. We've been house hunting, and there was a house in Mission Viejo, that was "drive by" only, and our agent told us that half the backyard had been converted into a tent city, and most of the bedrooms had been partitioned off. But the house was a great deal, and would just need a lot of clean up.

No, thank you.

V. =)
I wonder how much of a deal it would have been after all the repair expenses. They had most likely done some creative wiring, plumbing, and who knows what else that wouldn't be discovered until after closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County