Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me more about this part of OC?
I'm familiar with the Circle of Orange and it's surrounding "Americana" homes, (gorgeous but too expensive for us) but what about the other neighborhoods in the area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
It depends on where you go. I need to lok up a map and maybe I will later. Comments like "Over by Nancys house" or "The place where Bob used to live" is not of much use.

There are a lot of different areas. The one thing you will not find are new McMansion clusters like you find in Irvine or Coto, or their clones.

Most of the areas I know are pretty expensive except old town. Villa park, Orange Park acres and the area out near RCS College are probably too pricy for you.

We lived just outside of the old town parameters. Parker & Palmyra streets. you can go West to at elast Batavia and it is still decent, as you go east nd get closer to the train tracks, it gets a bit less nice and you get more apartments, until you get to the edge of old town. The houses were built in the 1960s. They are not huge and are on small lots (by my standrds, not by Irvine standards). This is a very middle class area. There are no apartments in the immediate vicinity. It is not far from the train tracks, so you do get a little noise, but it never bothered us.

On the south east side of the circle, if you take Palmyra east from Grand/Glassell to the fist major (ish) street and cross it go south and then turn East again, there is a newer (1950s-1980s) subdivision that is less expensive than old town. Still in walkiing distance.

Along Palmyra both to the north and south it gets cheaper as you get away from the quiant older homes and it is still nice. If you go all the way up Palmyra (past the school to Just before Tustin Avenue and go left (north). There are some less espensive homes in there. Again these are 1970s - 1980s give or take a bit. (you know - over where Big John lives).

The north west area just outside of old town (past the college going north and then immediately West) is cheaper, but it is not very nice. IN fact it is pretty yuck. I woudl avaoid that particular area.

Go East on Chapman to the fist and or second light before Tustin and go north (left), continue north about five streets until you get out of the quaint crafptman homes and you will come to another decent area with 1960s - 1970s homes that are not expensive. (Sycamore)

North of Lincoln just west of Tustin about three or four major streets, there is a very nice area of 1960s to 1970s homes. It should not be too expensive. A bit more than some of the other cheaper areas I mentioned, but cheaper than Old Town.

Persoanlly, I woudl suggest that you find something just outside of Old town, but still within a reasonable walk. That is where we were at Parker and Palmyra. It was a small house 1800 s.f. with about 7000 - 8,000 s.f. yard. One story, ranch, 5 bedrooms. It was pleasant and the location was great. East walk to Old Town, the hospital, Main place, Albertsons, Chapman University, train station. I am guessing, but I expect that house woudl sell for less than $500K now.

Hope that is of some help. Mostly you have to go look around and talk to neighbors.

When I refer to major streets I mean collectors, not major throughfares. Anythign with a light is major to me.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Thanks Coldjensens for the indepth reply. I had a feeling you knew the area well.
We'll probably take a drive over there to check it out... we've driven through parts on the way to the Orange Circle (antiques anyone?) in the past, and at first glance the general area seems quite congested, but I know sometimes once off the major streets, neighborhoods can be quite family oriented and homey.

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM

The make bunny prints down the sidewalks on easter Morning. They have neighborhood or street Christmas decorating contests. They have a huge Choral "Christmas tree lighting cermony in the circle. Another big choral and fireworks event on July 3 or 4. It is very much a community. IN addition to antiques, there are several nice cafes, and a few really neat non-antique shops (army Navy is one of my favorites. It is a great place to walk around.

Not really congested except during the internationl street fair when there are tens of thousands of people walking around int he streets.

Nice central location with access to all fo the major freways except 405.

The older homes are nice becuase there are a few mature trees around. (I do nto care for Irvine Lollipops - those are NOT trees).

Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
We lived up in the area around Taft and Cambridge for 9 years. It was too far to walk to Old Town, but not a bad area either. The Army/Navy Surplus store was my favorite too. Also loved eating at Felix's (great, cheap Cuban food) and the Citrus City Grille for the occasional more expensive meal. I forgot the names, but we also used to eat at a Japanese restaurant and a little Middle Eastern restaurant near the circle. In north Orange, there were many "hidden gem" ethnic restaurants (Asian, Middle Eastern) that were back in old strip malls.

My only complaints about Orange is that it seems skewed toward people much older than me, and too conservative for me. I'm not into antiques, so much of downtown was shops I'd just walk by with no interest. And traffic can be a nightmare. Major streets like Tustin can be gridlock during rush hour, and all surrounding freeways are a typical SoCal traffic nightmare. On the bright side, I had everything I needed within 1-2 miles from home, so no need to stray very far on the weekends.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:19 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
Podo, if you do move to Orange, be sure to always refer to the "Circle" as the "Plaza." Newbies call it the "Circle."

Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Podo, if you do move to Orange, be sure to always refer to the "Circle" as the "Plaza." Newbies call it the "Circle."
I lived in Orange for 9 years, and my grandparents were there for decades. I never heard a single person ever refer to it as "the plaza". Always, "the circle".

Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I lived in Orange for 9 years, and my grandparents were there for decades. I never heard a single person ever refer to it as "the plaza". Always, "the circle".

Ditto

If someone said the Orange Plaza, I would think they were referring to a hotel somewhere.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:36 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
I suggest you check the City of Orange website and see what they call it - and it isn't the "Circle."

Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I suggest you check the City of Orange website and see what they call it - and it isn't the "Circle."
We are talking about the people who live there. Not what the City Government uses in their official publications. That name was selected by PR people to sound good toutsiders. Sorry, no one calls it the Plaza. At least no one I know of. But then I have only been associated with the old town area since 1990, so like you said, I am a "newbie". None of my friends who also call it the circle have lived there for more than 70 years, so they are also newbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County