Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM

124 posts, read 334,103 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job offer in Irvine. And a daughter who would like to live in LA... (of course... )

How far is the commute and how long does it take to driveto LA from Irvine?

Thanks!

PS - Pros and cons about Irvine?

We don't have to live in Irvine, but safety is number one.

Our max budget would be 750K and I've been checking realtor.com but it's not very up to date.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,299 times
La. Is huge. Where and why does daughter feels she has to live there? 750 k is low for la city. But a great budget for oc/irvine area. Oh. U asked how long a commute? Minimum of one miserable hour. In good traffic. And at best time of day. Freeway is the 405. Which goes past lax airport. And is always. Congested due to airport.
Tell daughter she can live in la after college. It is more fun then

Good luck

Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Commute to LA is about 1.5 hours. Sometimes it is 2.5 hours, but not very often. Once in a while you can make it in an hour or even 45 minutes, but if that happens, you should go buy a lotto ticket. It is a terrible commute. You never know how long it will take and you arrive at either end drained and exhausted. Now the good news. There is a train station in Irvine. There is Union Station in LA. Metrolink and Amtrack trains run between the two and take about 1 hour and 15 minutes, maybe a little less. From union station you can take the subway to most places downtown. On the train you can read, surf the net, sleep, eat (not supposed to but everyone does) make new friends, relax. You will arrive feeling fresh and ready. Ignoring the cost savings and the more consistent time, it eliminates what will quickly become the worst three or four hours of your day (commuting).

Irvine is a very nice clean safe sterile soulless suburb with outstanding schools. It is often referred to as "The Republic of Irvine" Most of South Orange County is similar (endless souless suburbia). However it is all very nice, clean and conforming. If you like that kind of lifestyle (and millions do) it is pretty much ideal. Your budget will get you a decent garage with attached house on a postage stamp lot. Watch out for taxes and mello roos and HOA fees. You can easily get taxed and feed and rooed right out of your house.

Keep in mind that taxes are going to have to go up in some way. It may be real estate tax, or it may be some other tax, but the State government cannot afford to continue to operate even if they cut spending like crazy people (and they are instead increasing spending like crazy people). No matter what the promises, taxes will go up or the State will close (which is not going to happen).

Notwithstanding the mind numbing conformity, Irvine is about as nice an example of the current American standard as you can find. It is not far from the beach and not far from the foothills.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
La. Is huge. Where and why does daughter feels she has to live there? 750 k is low for la city. But a great budget for oc/irvine area. Oh. U asked how long a commute? Minimum of one miserable hour. In good traffic. And at best time of day. Freeway is the 405. Which goes past lax airport. And is always. Congested due to airport.
Tell daughter she can live in la after college. It is more fun then

Good luck
All very good points. Thank you! She is graduating this May and is looking to move to LA. Gee I wonder what she would like to do in LA....?
At least she's going with a degree... Broadcast, Communication, etc. Even though she'll end up waitressing....

Good an hours not bad. She's used to Miami traffic so she'll be fine. If we take the Irvine job and move (wherever... I'm not sure yet because I do realize 750-800K is chump change in CA) I'd like her to be able to stay with us until she is fully employed or has a roommate and all that other good stuff.

THanks for helping me out with the commute time.

Any pros and cons of living/working in Irvine?

We used to live in Scottsdale, AZ so we are used to the heat.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Commute to LA is about 1.5 hours. Sometimes it is 2.5 hours, but not very often. Once in a while you can make it in an hour or even 45 minutes, but if that happens, you should go buy a lotto ticket. It is a terrible commute. You never know how long it will take and you arrive at either end drained and exhausted. Now the good news. There is a train station in Irvine. There is Union Station in LA. Metrolink and Amtrack trains run between the two and take about 1 hour and 15 minutes, maybe a little less. From union station you can take the subway to most places downtown. On the train you can read, surf the net, sleep, eat (not supposed to but everyone does) make new friends, relax. You will arrive feeling fresh and ready. Ignoring the cost savings and the more consistent time, it eliminates what will quickly become the worst three or four hours of your day (commuting).

Irvine is a very nice clean safe sterile soulless suburb with outstanding schools. It is often referred to as "The Republic of Irvine" Most of South Orange County is similar (endless souless suburbia). However it is all very nice, clean and conforming. If you like that kind of lifestyle (and millions do) it is pretty much ideal. Your budget will get you a decent garage with attached house on a postage stamp lot. Watch out for taxes and mello roos and HOA fees. You can easily get taxed and feed and rooed right out of your house.

Keep in mind that taxes are going to have to go up in some way. It may be real estate tax, or it may be some other tax, but the State government cannot afford to continue to operate even if they cut spending like crazy people (and they are instead increasing spending like crazy people). No matter what the promises, taxes will go up or the State will close (which is not going to happen).

Notwithstanding the mind numbing conformity, Irvine is about as nice an example of the current American standard as you can find. It is not far from the beach and not far from the foothills.
*WOW* Thank you. That is a huge help! I did not know that she could train it into LA. That's perfect!

She interned for a couple of summers in NYC at MTV Studios so she's good on the whle train system.

I'd kiss you if I could! Honestly, I never even thought of that. She does have a prius though, so should she ever need to drive there, at least it has good gas mileage!

I'm really okay with suburbia. It pretty much IS my thing. I love my nice little lot in the middle of a neighborhood with HOA fees (I'm on my HOA board now...) so all that is sounding just dandy to me.

The hardest part to me will be having to downsize since we've been living in large houses because we've been able to advoid the big housing prices. (Moved from NY to Virginia just before the prices rose, then Scottsdale, AZ and sold when they skyrocketed, then to PA - well, we lost on that one but knowing we made out so well on the Scottsdale house helps take the sting away and we bought a forclosure here in Nashville.)

Now our next adventure is Cali! Woot! Woot!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:

I was wondering if anyone has any pictures theycould share of Irvine and it's close in neighbors (other towns, etc.) that are considered safe. THanks!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 PM

484 posts, read 970,095 times
No heat here like Snottsdale so no worries there.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
*WOW* Thank you. That is a huge help! I did not know that she could train it into LA. That's perfect!

She interned for a couple of summers in NYC at MTV Studios so she's good on the whle train system.

I'd kiss you if I could! Honestly, I never even thought of that. She does have a prius though, so should she ever need to drive there, at least it has good gas mileage!

I'm really okay with suburbia. It pretty much IS my thing. I love my nice little lot in the middle of a neighborhood with HOA fees (I'm on my HOA board now...) so all that is sounding just dandy to me.

The hardest part to me will be having to downsize since we've been living in large houses because we've been able to advoid the big housing prices. (Moved from NY to Virginia just before the prices rose, then Scottsdale, AZ and sold when they skyrocketed, then to PA - well, we lost on that one but knowing we made out so well on the Scottsdale house helps take the sting away and we bought a forclosure here in Nashville.)

Now our next adventure is Cali! Woot! Woot!
Glad I could help. no kissing. My wife has a gun.

Do not worry about downsizing. It is California (btw it is NOT Cali. Cali is a city in Columbia. Please do not run around saying Cali and "The OC, people will predetermine you to be a dork before you say anythign else). Anyway you do nto need as big a house. You do not need as much clothing or indoor entertainment. You can go outside more (although our kids actually play outside more in Michgian than in OC). Besides, you will nto really notice. Acceptable house size depends on what you see around you. If everyone is in 1800 s.f. you will nto feel that cramped. Plus a smaller house brings the family together more. No going off into seperate rooms to do your own thing. IN our large rambling house in MI I soemtimes cannot find my family for quite a while when I get home from work.

I will look for a typical south county house. THey are very similar. Usually tan stucco with red tile roof. The front elevation is basically a garage with a little bit of house peeking out from behind. Sometimes there are fake balconies or little "porches" (really just a fron stoop, not a real porch). Lots are tiny. If you have a pool of any size, that will be your yard. Front yards are basically a driveway with a splotch of grass (cut to exactly 2 3/4 inces).

As far as safe Cities. All of them are safe. If you want super safe, just look at anything from Irvine South, and Skip San Juan Capistrano and the beach towns (safe, but way expensive). There just is no meaningful difference between these cities.

Irvine, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Santa Margarita, Laguna Nigel, Inland Newport Beach, . . . at least a half dozen more that are not coming to mind. If you like that kind of living, the whole area is perfect for you. However, not every town has a train station. But if you do not want train noise, yu will have to be driving distance from the station anyway.

BTW one other neat thing for your daughter. The train also goes south. There is a station in San Clemente, a sleepy little beach town and the station is an easy walk to the beach.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Glad I could help. no kissing. My wife has a gun.

Do not worry about downsizing. It is California (btw it is NOT Cali. Cali is a city in Columbia. Please do not run around saying Cali and "The OC, people will predetermine you to be a dork before you say anythign else). Anyway you do nto need as big a house. You do not need as much clothing or indoor entertainment. You can go outside more (although our kids actually play outside more in Michgian than in OC). Besides, you will nto really notice. Acceptable house size depends on what you see around you. If everyone is in 1800 s.f. you will nto feel that cramped. Plus a smaller house brings the family together more. No going off into seperate rooms to do your own thing. IN our large rambling house in MI I soemtimes cannot find my family for quite a while when I get home from work.

I will look for a typical south county house. THey are very similar. Usually tan stucco with red tile roof. The front elevation is basically a garage with a little bit of house peeking out from behind. Sometimes there are fake balconies or little "porches" (really just a fron stoop, not a real porch). Lots are tiny. If you have a pool of any size, that will be your yard. Front yards are basically a driveway with a splotch of grass (cut to exactly 2 3/4 inces).

As far as safe Cities. All of them are safe. If you want super safe, just look at anything from Irvine South, and Skip San Juan Capistrano and the beach towns (safe, but way expensive). There just is no meaningful difference between these cities.

Irvine, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Santa Margarita, Laguna Nigel, Inland Newport Beach, . . . at least a half dozen more that are not coming to mind. If you like that kind of living, the whole area is perfect for you. However, not every town has a train station. But if you do not want train noise, yu will have to be driving distance from the station anyway.

BTW one other neat thing for your daughter. The train also goes south. There is a station in San Clemente, a sleepy little beach town and the station is an easy walk to the beach.
You've been really helpful. I know the type of houses of which you speak, we lived in one in Scottsdale, AZ.
Now I just have to keep my eye on the prize (job)
We almost moved to Framington Hills, MI a short while ago!
And thanks for the heads up on the whole "Cali" thing. Obviously my age is showing... LOL

Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM

TypicalSouth Orange County House/neighborhood scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County