U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Orange County not dog friendly, Orange County store owners not kind towards dogs or pets, pet rules highly enforced in Orange County

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2007, 07:07 PM
 
11,726 posts, read 24,750,155 times
Reputation: 7135

Advertisements

Dog owners are like parents: They're the last to figure out when their little darling is annoying the crap out of everyone around them. My job involves making service calls to people's houses and everyone seems to think its just wonderful that their mutt can't leave me alone to do my job. If I had to deal with that all the time in public places like stores I'd probably kick a few of them in the nose. Unless your dog is trained as well as a service dog, leave it at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
 
17 posts, read 50,176 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
My job involves making service calls to people's houses and everyone seems to think its just wonderful that their mutt can't leave me alone to do my job.
I would never allow my dog to do that. When service people come out to my house I make dang sure I'm the only one there to not leave you guys alone to do your jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
2,498 posts, read 7,597,890 times
Reputation: 1528
Dogs do not belong in a store. It is a store, not a city park. To say the city is not "pet friendly" because you can't bring a dog in a store is a bad argument for your point of view. What about the people in that store that don't want to be around your dog. What is someone in the store is allergic to dogs and you make them have a reaction because you think your dog is entitled to be in a store? What if I go to eat my sub at Subway and there is a dog hair in it because your dog should get to go in too? What if that dog bites (not that yours will, but some do bite) someone in the store? Who could also get sued for allowing a dog that bites in? Answer: THE STORE OWNER for allowing a dog in his store.
In remark to leashes. You dog should not get to walk all around the city like a person. Some dogs (especially pit bulls) can bite and kill. There have probably been six serious dog bites in Orange County this year and I know at least one death happened. How can someone control an animal when it isn't in the owners hand. What if that dog approaches someone that is horrified of dogs? Is that fair to them? Oh, I guess that person doesn't matter because Fido needs to roam free too! What is wrong with your dog being on a leash anyhow? Go to the dog park if you want your dog to roam free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2007, 01:57 AM
 
1,159 posts, read 2,393,508 times
Reputation: 717
I'm the owner of two dogs and a former Orange County resident. I have never had any problems finding parks to walk my dogs (I have two).

However, I keep my dogs on leashes and don't let them get near other people because you just don't know how a dog is going to read a given individual and I don't want to get sued or have my dogs taken away. Both my dogs are a couple of very friendly goofballs once they get to know you. But I don't want to impose them on people I don't know.

Dogs don't belong in supermarkets, fast food places or restaurants. That is just not appropriate (guide dogs, of course, exempted).

By the same token, though, when I have worked retail, I always hated it when people would tie their dogs up outside the store to go inside because it made me worry for the welfare of the dogs. I would always tell the dog owners to bring them in with them and would offer to take the dog in the back room while they are shopping. This is great for me because I love dogs so much. We have had customers who had very friendly, sociable dogs who weren't a danger to anyone and I always let those owners bring their dogs into the regular part of the store. That has always been received well by the owners and other shoppers as well as my fellow employees. Dogs always brighten a place up. But I have never personally taken my dog to a mall or a store. It just didn't feel right to me. Plus what would happen to my dogs in that environment if I suddenly became incapacitated? So it was just better to leave them at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,027 times
Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite View Post
I noticed no one brought up the topic specifically on whether OC is dog-friendly or not. So here goes my experience; it's mostly NOT with some notable exceptions. Certain coastal cities in OC are lax but most aren't. Unlike in NYC or San Fransisco, most stores do NOT put out little water bowls for passing dogs -for example- and store owners will go absolutely bonkers if you enter the store with the animal, no matter how small or well-behaved it is. It must ALWAYS be on a leash ..even if you're in the middle of nowhere, no one within a mile. Your dog MUST have a county license or they can take it from you to execute it promptly. Oh, they can be pretty fascist about it!. CA Cops have a funny way of suddenly popping up for bullcrap like this, issuing some very expensive tickets. How'd ya think OC makes its money?. That's how OC stays so clean too, for example: they issue $1000 tickets for littering AND then they actually enforce it.

Most people in OC don't seem to be very knowledgeable on dogs behavior, hence seem unable to read a dogs body language and they'll freak out because they'll fear it first when in doubt. Regardless of size or breed. Even dog owners rhemnselves are not so sociable sometimes. Some dog owners you come across while walkng your pet while walking theirs will probably result in their yanking their dog away from yours, instead of letting the guys do their mutual butt-smelling-ritual dog thing. And naturally I'm talking about 2 dogs that are very friendly towards each other and obviously very interested in doing the sniff/greeting thing. Not two mastiffs growling to kill each other.
Maybe it's because since Southern CA's lack a social life they decide to punish their pets with the same?.

Say you're waliking on a bridle path or trail somehwere and you have a very small chihuahua running loose. As soon as you come across someone they'll instantly freak out and ask you -while they're still 50 feet away mind you - to please "put your leash on your dog?".

But like I said, the coastal cities do seem to be much pet friendlier and they'll actually do the whole waterbowl thing and actually let pets hang out inside or at least out on the sidewalk table. Some even offer snacks. Inland, as far as for pooches goes; it's the freaking III Reich. Oh, and all female dogs have to be sterilized by a certain age.

I think you need to pull you head out of you animals ass and stop worrying about what people do or don't so that is in line with what you think everbody should or shouldn't be doing. We here in SoCal live OUR lives and try not to get in anybody's business so when you think we need to be more like you....think about this. We don't live in the east coast for a reason. Try and figure that out.

Eflo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 02:34 PM
 
110 posts, read 289,255 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflo View Post
I think you need to pull you head out of you animals ass and stop worrying about what people do or don't so that is in line with what you think everbody should or shouldn't be doing. We here in SoCal live OUR lives and try not to get in anybody's business so when you think we need to be more like you....think about this. We don't live in the east coast for a reason. Try and figure that out.

Eflo
I wonder why people come to this message board and say that OC folks are not friendly...hmmm, very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
 
Location: SD
896 posts, read 3,079,796 times
Reputation: 325
Had to comment again. I don't have an issue with dogs as long as they and their owners are polite. Last weekend at Barnes & Noble, a couple were there with their dog. Their dog walked right at my 2 yo and knocked her off her feet. (My daughter was standing in an aisle looking at a book--she wasn't antagonistic or getting the way). The couple tried to help her up but at that point my 2 yo was hysterical because she was scared and I just wanted them to get away with their dog. Until that moment, I didn't realize that animals were allowed. The manager informed us that we should just deal with it because animals are allowed in everywhere but the cafe. Not to be rude -- I know people love their dogs but PLEASE be aware that not all people are as loving and some small children can actually be petrified. My children run in fear. I wanted to go into Barnes & Noble yesterday and my 2 yo wouldn't go into the store. Great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 06:50 PM
 
11,726 posts, read 24,750,155 times
Reputation: 7135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Had to comment again. I don't have an issue with dogs as long as they and their owners are polite. Last weekend at Barnes & Noble, a couple were there with their dog. Their dog walked right at my 2 yo and knocked her off her feet. (My daughter was standing in an aisle looking at a book--she wasn't antagonistic or getting the way). The couple tried to help her up but at that point my 2 yo was hysterical because she was scared and I just wanted them to get away with their dog. Until that moment, I didn't realize that animals were allowed. The manager informed us that we should just deal with it because animals are allowed in everywhere but the cafe. Not to be rude -- I know people love their dogs but PLEASE be aware that not all people are as loving and some small children can actually be petrified. My children run in fear. I wanted to go into Barnes & Noble yesterday and my 2 yo wouldn't go into the store. Great.
That'll stop the minute somebody's precious pet takes a bite out of someone and Barnes & Noble, Inc. and the store's manager find themselves on the receiving end of a million dollar law suit for allowing a dangerous animal in a bookstore. You shouldn't have to carry a sidearm to protect yourself and your family from an animal in a bookstore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 PM
 
Location: right outside your window
621 posts, read 85,529 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
To me, dogs should not be allowed in stores under health codes, with the lone exception of guide dogs (and not people who train their dogs only so they can show them off with no intent of actually using them as a guide dog!).
Personally, I won't buy food off the bottom shelf anymore because of the prevalence of dogs in stores.
This right here poses a good question.

I wonder if the service guide dogs need proof of vaccination before they start working in the stores that do allow them, hence, no diseases, etc. on the food we buy, the floors, etc......

Dogs rock and Cattknap was right on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
 
164 posts, read 350,273 times
Reputation: 63
Default Children as obnoxious as wild dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Dog owners are like parents: They're the last to figure out when their little darling is annoying the crap out of everyone around them. My job involves making service calls to people's houses and everyone seems to think its just wonderful that their mutt can't leave me alone to do my job. If I had to deal with that all the time in public places like stores I'd probably kick a few of them in the nose. Unless your dog is trained as well as a service dog, leave it at home.
Boy, that's the truth. Parents think its just wonderful when their "little dears" run wild in stores, actually letting them run into people, grab things off the shelves and use them as toys, and dart in front of people who are in a rush to get their shopping done and get home.

Then you have the parents in the line to pay at stores and who just ignore their little darlings when the children do annoying things like run into the other people standing in line to pay - repeatedly too! Yes, this has happened to me more than a few times, and I try to stand as far away from children as possible. Once a little boy kept bumping into the back of my butt, but his mother was oblivious to my repeatedly turning around and glaring at both of them. If your children are so wild that you can't deal with them, leave them at home!!

Then there are the children in my condo association, even though there are rules against letting the kids play in the middle of the street, that's where they are every day. And when I need to get by them on the only route I can take to get to my condo, they just stand there staring like idiots. Don't parents teach them to get OUT of the street when a car is coming? One family actually had the nerve to _block_ the street with signs that said "Caution, children at play". Blocking a public street? C'mon people! Luckily, another neighbor ran the sign over.

Frankly, there should be rules against obnoxious children being allowed to run wild and annoy people in public. I really don't understand people who insist upon breeding and then ignoring their own children. Some of these oblivious people are the first to complain about the behavior of other people's pets.

That said, store owners should have the right to not allow pets in their own stores. Dogs should never be allowed into grocery stores, why would they need to go in there? It would be unsanitary. And there are good reasons for leash laws. I have a small dog and prefer that other dog owners keep their dogs on leash when in public. I don't want my dog mauled to death, thanks. There are dog parks for running off leash and having fun with other dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top