U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,541,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The big problem with Corona is that it puts on you the 91 freeway twice a day. Ugh.
THIS. Avoid any place that requires you to get on the 91. Unless you happen to like pulling your hair out at the roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,665,004 times
Unless you'll be doing a reverse commute. I'm on the 91 quite often in the late afternoon, heading into OC from the IE. Easy peasy.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,422,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
Doubtful. It's all 10-15 MILLION dollar homes.

I can't even afford the first million!
I thought there were some tract homes in NC that work.. guess not.. sorry!

Try Anaheim Hills(newer parts)

Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 PM

124 posts, read 290,838 times
Quote:
Geography. The climate gets warmer very quickly when you get away from the ocean. On a summer day, it might be 72 in Newport Beach, 85 in Fullerton, and 95 or more in Corona. Corona, being part of the Inland Empire, is largely cut off from the cool ocean breezes by the mountains.

The 91 freeway cuts through a narrow canyon between the mountains. It a natural choke point. There's no side streets that go all the way though as far as I know. The 91 Express lanes vary their rate depending on time of day and day of the week. I think the peak rate is somewhere around $11 now one way.

The electric bills might even be worse than Arizona if you live inland since our rates are pretty high. Its tiered so the more you use, the more each KwH costs you. It doesn't take that much usage to be paying $0.30/KwH or more. Expect electricity to get even more expensive as AB32 kicks in.
11 $$??
SERIOUSLY??
One way??!!!
How far does one have to drive on the 91 to pay the 11 bucks?

Thanks (even though the truth hurts...) for giving it to me straight.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,875,875 times
Quote:
11 $$??
SERIOUSLY??
One way??!!!
How far does one have to drive on the 91 to pay the 11 bucks?

Thanks (even though the truth hurts...) for giving it to me straight.
http://www.91expresslanes.com/ has all the details.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Unless you'll be doing a reverse commute. I'm on the 91 quite often in the late afternoon, heading into OC from the IE. Easy peasy.
I have to actually get there first before I can tell whether I'd be driving it as a reverse commute. Right now the company I'm interviewing for is in transition to Irvine so I don't even have an address yet to help me figure out if moving north, south, east or west would be beneficial for us!

In general, are housing costs (figuring it is a SAFE and clean neighborhood) about the same no matter which direction of Irvine one looks?

I have been watching the weather and it appears that Corona truly IS much warmer than Irvine! Which will make the electric costs skyrocket if the heat is similar to Arizona's. (Scottsdale)

Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,875,875 times
Quote:
In general, are housing costs (figuring it is a SAFE and clean neighborhood) about the same no matter which direction of Irvine one looks?
There are variations, but overall, a nice house in a safe neighborhood with good schools will cost a lot in Orange County. There's no "hidden gems" where you can get an equivalent for a huge discount without paying for it one way or another.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
There are variations, but overall, a nice house in a safe neighborhood with good schools will cost a lot in Orange County. There's no "hidden gems" where you can get an equivalent for a huge discount without paying for it one way or another.
Good to know. Thank you.

I keep comparing it to Scottsdale, AZ because that is the last place we moved where it cost so much more to live IN Scottsdale then it did to live anywhere else in the Phoenix area.

Within Scottsdale, generally the further north one went the more expensive the neighborhood. We lived in the Desert Mountain High School area (Which was the furthest north one could get for high schools) and I loved every minute of it.
We certainly didn't have the big Ancala home on a golf course, but we had 2911 square feet (our smallest home so far!) and I figure if we can get about the same size, we'll be okay -- after we downsize *again* (we just moved to TN into a 5K square foot home with a 4 car garage from PA which was nearly twice the size! So downsizing again is a hassle, but if it puts us near our daughter, it'll be worth it. Besides, if she gets her own place (read -one can only hope LOL we can give we the extra furniture!)

I have a sister in Santa Cruz (I know, not near OC) and she loves living there. She's only three blocks to the beach. I on the otherhand, realize we will not be able to afford anything within 10 - 20 miles of the beach. But that is what cars are for!

I guess I'm basically looking to redo our Scottsdale life in a way... Smaller house, small yard (859 square feet was the lot size, but adequate and it even had a pool!) houses and developments everywhere - but RETAIL and RESTAURANTS everywhere too!

This is an immensely helpful group - I love all the different responses I am getting. It helps to get different points of view other than the recruiters and the realtors views!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:51 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
8042 E Woodwind Ave Orange CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #P803291 - Realtor.com®

Why don't you try the eastern end of the City of Orange, zip code 92869? I just found the listing above very fast that's in the $700Ks, almost 3000 sq. feet, decent (probably better than decent) schools, and probably no more than 30 min. from anywhere in Irvine (considering traffic). It's on the western side of the mountains, so it will rarely be over 90 degrees in Summer, and cool evenings. I'm from Orange, and about the only time it ever gets over 90 is in the Fall when the Santa Ana winds blow.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,260,683 times
If you are still considering Corona stay north of the Dos Lagos golf course. South Corona is really cheap but it can take 45 minutes at 7-8am just to make it up to the 15/91 interchange. Ideally you want to avoid I15 entirely and get directly onto the 91W. Don't even consider Corona unless you can budget/afford the 241 toll road and 91 fast pass lanes. I've heard it's around $200 a month although rates are lower off peak. The commute really shouldn't be that bad via the toll roads/pay lanes.

Electricity in Corona shouldn't be any more than Scottsdale in the summer months. The rates are higher in CA but it doesn't get as hot and cools off at nights unlike the Phoenix area. My friend in Phoenix was paying 2.5X as much as I do in in the summer in the inland empire but I use A/C sparingly (both 1BR apartments.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County