Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 101,332 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently completing a degree in computer science in Canada. I have lived in Canada my entire life, and I really want a change, basically because I HATE winter. Anyways, the place in Orange County that I have been looking to Relocate to is San Clemente, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this place is. Also, because I am only going to be 21 or 22 when I move there, I was wondering if there would be much of a social life for me there. Thank-you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:21 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
san clemente probably wont have too much of a social life(my knowledge of it is more of an affluent family community), but you're not too far from some more social areas like san juan capistrano(which has some stuff to do) and the newport/irvine/balboa areas that have various beach activities, some upscale bars and restaurants, and a few other things like the irvine spectrum.

as far as winter, there isnt any snow, but its colder and more dreary than other parts of the socal coastal regions

Old 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM

158 posts, read 581,756 times
San Clemente is beautiful! It is also close to La Jolla, and Solana Beach - which are also wonderful. Ocenside pier is close to San Clemente, with little shops, and cafe's.

You can't go wrong in San Clemente. You have a very broad price range too! Everything from Apartments, and studio rentals, clear up to million dollar beachside homes.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:37 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker4b View Post
Hello, I am currently completing a degree in computer science in Canada. I have lived in Canada my entire life, and I really want a change, basically because I HATE winter. Anyways, the place in Orange County that I have been looking to Relocate to is San Clemente, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this place is. Also, because I am only going to be 21 or 22 when I move there, I was wondering if there would be much of a social life for me there. Thank-you.
While San Clemente is a nice city, as a young person you may be bored to death. It is the last city in Orange County before you get into the San Diego area, but San Diego is still quite a drive. Southern Orange County is very family oriented, and if you are looking for a social life there isn't much. I have found the downtown area of Fullerton in northern Orange County to be one of the best places for people in their 20's who want to go out, have a great time and still take advantage of living in Orange County. Huntington Beach, in my opinion, is fun too, and the proximity from HB and Fullerton to Los Angeles is a big plus too. San Clemente is approx 65 miles from LA, 60 miles to SD, so you factor in traffic and you can be setting yourself up for quite a drive for a big night out. My advise? Northern OC or Los Angeles for your single 20's, southern OC for when your getting ready to settle down. Whatever your decision, I wish you the best and welcome should you decide to make California your home!

Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Anyways, the place in Orange County that I have been looking to Relocate to is San Clemente,
What was your rationale for choosing San Clemente? Were you offered a job there? Are there lots of jobs in your industry there?

There are lots of jobs for CS majors in Orange County and north from Irvine to El Segundo. Can you get a security clearance?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 PM

The reason that I chose San Clemete is because out of all the places in Orange County, I found it to have the best responses from people as a place to live. Also, because I am from a very small town in Canada and I thought that it is a small size compared to some place like LA, which would be much too big for me. I do not want to live in Irvine, but there are lots of computer jobs there and I thought that I could commute.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
The reason that I chose San Clemete is because out of all the places in Orange County, I found it to have the best responses from people as a place to live. Also, because I am from a very small town in Canada and I thought that it is a small size compared to some place like LA, which would be much too big for me. I do not want to live in Irvine, but there are lots of computer jobs there and I thought that I could commute.
What do envision your rent budget or housing price range to be?

Also, while it is only about 30 miles, they might be a rough 30 miles in traffic. I don't know that area and it's traffic patterns but someone could probably chime in.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Quote:
Have you taken a holiday down to Orange County yet? (My friends from Winnipeg called vacations "holidays") It may be in your best interest to come down and get a feel of the area before you move. I live in a city of less than 40,000 people, and while that is small compared to most cities in the metro, it doesn't change the fact that it's in a metro of over 13 million people. San Clemente is still a busy city of 62,000 people, and commuting in the south county is still a hefty commute on some days.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Have you taken a holiday down to Orange County yet? (My friends from Winnipeg called vacations "holidays") It may be in your best interest to come down and get a feel of the area before you move. I live in a city of less than 40,000 people, and while that is small compared to most cities in the metro, it doesn't change the fact that it's in a metro of over 13 million people. San Clemente is still a busy city of 62,000 people, and commuting in the south county is still a hefty commute on some days.
I took a holiday down to the Anehiem arean of Los Angeles a couple of years ago, and while we were there we took a trip down to Huntington beach and Newport Beach. While I didn't like Huntington Beach as much, I really enjoyed Newport a lot more, And I really enjoyed LA a lot. Since that trip, I have wanted to go back so much but have never gotten the chance. Right now, were I go to school there are about 100,000 people in the city, so I know that it will be quite a chabe for me.

Last edited by walker4b; 02-20-2008 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM

Default Housing in San Clemente

Hello,

I was just wondering, what people would suggest for an apartment for me in San Clemente. I am single, going to be 21 when I move, would like a one or two bedroom and would like it to be $1600 or under per month. Thank-you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County