U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,552 times

Advertisements

Hi all

My daughter is currently an 8th grader, and she recently took the Troy entrance exam. Though the results are not out yet, we are debating whether or not she should go to Troy if she is accepted. We are residents of Diamond Bar and the area we live in feeds into DBHS.

Though DBHS is not a bad school, lately there have been an influx of negative reviews of it on Greatschools that have my husband and I worried. My daughter also has many friends whose siblings attend DBHS. From what they have told her, the teachers at DBHS are a hit-and-miss and that the high test scores stem from the high percentage of Asians. I understand that bad teachers are prevalent in all schools but she has been told that there are plenty of them in Diamond Bar High.

However, we do not know too much about Troy. She does have friends whose siblings attend Troy as well, though. What she says is that her friends' siblings are very stressed out and cannot keep up extracurricular activities well if they are in IB, which she is trying to get into. They often stay up until midnight completing homework. I really don't want that for my child - she plays an instrument quite seriously and also does swimming competitively. Also, another primary concern is that because so many students at Troy are superstars academically, she will seem average in comparison and won't be able to make top 5% - something that won't be a problem at DBHS if she works hard. We have heard that the teachers are great for the most part though.

I was wondering if you all could provide me more information about Troy and give us your opinions? Which would be a better choice for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:29 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,424,379 times
Troy is an excellent high school, but very demanding, like you have seen. If your daughter wants to go to UC or CSU, it will probably be beneficial for her to go to DBHS if she can make it up in the top 5%. There are guaranteed admissions to both systems for finishing in certain percentages of her class(don't recall what they are specifically, but 5% is probably sufficient). Otherwise you're reliant on impacted admissions and if the school overwhelms her there is no guarantee that she will have the grades(and then you also have to worry about her sports, since they take up a lot of time on their own).

Basically, I don't think going to the best school academically is always the right answer. I know people that burned out of Whitney, which is similar to Troy, and it hurt them getting in to college. DBHS isn't an awful school and the community, from what I know of it, isn't a bad one. There's no reason someone can't do well there and get into a good college and have a successful career, that is unless the goal is to get in to a high profile private school, then high school selection means a bit.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 AM

112 posts, read 362,388 times
I think proximity to home is very important. If your local high school is not too shabby, don't move your child. High school is their last chance to connect with your neighborhood.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
Hi, my sister is facing the exact dilemma now- Troy high school or diamond bar high school. May I ask what was your daughter'ss final choice?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County