Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:33 PM

198 posts, read 930,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSuccess View Post
...oh and you cant get into OCTFCU unless you are a teacher or a member invites you. I am not a teacher but my mother in law invited me and my wife in.

I believe the member has to be family--either by blood or marriage.

OCTFCU - Membership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM

38,862 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Default Wescom Credit Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmergrl View Post
My line of work has to do with consumer reports of fraud and errors and audits in the banking industry. All I can say is go with a Credit Union.
I use Wescom Credit Union, as my husband works for the Phone Co. It's an "open" credit union, so anyone can join. BUT it's light years away from the stuff I see in banks! No fees, mistakes, open 7 days a week.
Pick any credit union, just don't use a bank.
You have no clue until you see thousands of accounts and the countless mistakes and wrongly charged fees!! I was stunned when I first started this line of work about 10 years ago. It's only gotten worse.
I realize that this banking thread is an old one, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I did some research into credit unions versus banks, and found that those who do their banking at credit unions are indeed much happier than those who bank at commercial banks. In particular, I researched Wescom Credit Union and found that they indeed are open seven days a week and have convenient branch locations (almost 50) from Santa Barbara to San Diego. The only membership requirement seems to be that one needs to live, work or worship in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino or San Diego Counties. On their website, they appear to offer the same services as a retail bank (checking and savings accounts, direct deposit, online banking, etc.). I may be wrong, but it appears that Wescom is the largest credit union in California with over 300,000 members. About the only thing they (and other credit unions) don't seem to have that the regular banks do is 24/7 telephone customer service.

I think I'll pay their local branch a visit soon and open up a checking and savings account, and experience the credit union difference. WaMu will be sad to lose me, since I've been with them since 1985, when they were Home Savings of America.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM

164 posts, read 516,675 times
Default Wescom CU or WaMu

Wescom CU is a good bank, though someone mentioned early in this thread they didn't make mistakes...oh yes, everyone does. But they are far better to deal with than Wells Fargo, which was the bank I switched from about 18 years ago (though it had a different name then.) Better banking interest rates, too.

My mother insisted on staying with Wells Fargo...she was elderly and didn't like change. When she died, it was a nightmare dealing with them. In fact, she had a IRA in a Mutual Fund that they told me I was the beneficiary of, but I would have to open an IRA and they would move the money to that. That was the first time I contacted them, each time I called to ask about it, I got a different story. My mother died over 4 years ago and Wells Fargo still has her money despite my effort and the efforts of other family members to straiten things out. I gave up as the amount of money wasn't worth the aggravation to me.

My sweetheart banks with Washington Mutual and he likes them very much.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Default OCTFCU is now SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLresident View Post
I believe the member has to be family--either by blood or marriage.

OCTFCU - Membership
I realize I'm dredging up an old thread, but wanted to post an update, specifically to this particular credit union. The name is now SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union as of April 14, 2008. I'm now a member of this credit union thanks to my sister who is an existing member and former school district employee. They have the best service and loan rates, much better than any bank I used previously.

I hope we didn't run YLresident off, as she wrote some very interesting posts.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 AM

42 posts, read 67,967 times
We're moving from the UK to OC, addmitedly I didn't look at Credit Unions, and I chose Wells Fargo.

It's early days but I'm very pleased. We're used to free banking and they have easy requirements to avoid charges; they respond quickly to enquiries. So far pleasantly impressed.

Plus, they should be in NC too.

Hope this helps, good luck with the decision.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM

65 posts, read 146,845 times
Wachovia is now Wells Fargo..and they stink, but they're better than Bank of America!

Try regions? or CitiBank, Chase?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 AM

133 posts, read 330,746 times
I suggest Chase Bank. After the Wamu buyout in 2008, there are Chase branches ALL over Orange County.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 AM

590 posts, read 1,248,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta67 View Post
We're moving from the UK to OC, addmitedly I didn't look at Credit Unions, and I chose Wells Fargo.

It's early days but I'm very pleased. We're used to free banking and they have easy requirements to avoid charges; they respond quickly to enquiries. So far pleasantly impressed.

Plus, they should be in NC too.

Hope this helps, good luck with the decision.

I agree..we have no probs with Wells Fargo..we pay NO fees for anything..having a decent balance helps..they are always polite helpful..etc...anytime I have reason to call them..so always review our 3 accts and make suggestions about moving money from the lowest interest rate to one that pays the most...

have never used a credit union tho

Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 PM

Exclamation No truly free checking accounts at big-name banks

I guess what it boils down to is what you want from your financial institution. I choose not to bank with any of the "Big Box" banks (Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank) because none of them offers truly free, no-strings-attached checking accounts like my credit union does. The banks require you to have either direct deposit or a minimum balance in order to have no monthly fees. Plus, I understand that online bill pay with Wells Fargo is NOT free, whereas it's free with my credit union. Not only that, but when I banked with WaMu (now Chase), I was dismayed when I learned that the telephone customer service reps at the toll-free number were actually based overseas in the Philippines. I'm not sure if it's still that way now that Chase has taken over. At least I know when I contact my credit union's call center, I'm dealing with a person right here in SoCal.

Whatever works for you and as long as you're happy, right? Thankfully, we still have choices as far as where to park our money.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM

590 posts, read 1,248,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I guess what it boils down to is what you want from your financial institution. I choose not to bank with any of the "Big Box" banks (Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank) because none of them offers truly free, no-strings-attached checking accounts like my credit union does. The banks require you to have either direct deposit or a minimum balance in order to have no monthly fees. Plus, I understand that online bill pay with Wells Fargo is NOT free, whereas it's free with my credit union. Not only that, but when I banked with WaMu (now Chase), I was dismayed when I learned that the telephone customer service reps at the toll-free number were actually based overseas in the Philippines. I'm not sure if it's still that way now that Chase has taken over. At least I know when I contact my credit union's call center, I'm dealing with a person right here in SoCal.

Whatever works for you and as long as you're happy, right? Thankfully, we still have choices as far as where to park our money.

sorry...but we have no strings attached FREE checking accounts at Wells Fargo..also no..they do not charge for bill pay...perhaps because we have the minimum balance required..

anytime I have called Wells Fargo for any question..they have always been NOT in another country..

not bad mouthing credit unions..just correcting your mis info on Wells Fargo..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County