Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:11 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times

Advertisements

I looked in the other CA counties forums, and I don't see nearly the continuous asking of:

I'm looking for an xxxxxxxxx community. Are there any xxxxxxxxx schools? Are there any xxxxxxxxx markets? Are there any xxxxxxxxx apartment complexes?

Why is Orange County so self segregated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 AM

252 posts, read 422,846 times
ysr racer,

Are you actually moving to Orange County ? Where do you live now ? What do you personally like as far as where to live?

Orange county is widely varied as to where people may want to reside. You will have loads of choices...

As any place , there are school districts that are more highly regarded. Irvine is very high .

Rents and purchasing home costs also vary through out the county. The newer, areas, beach, and south county are in the higher price range category. Newer roads, newer construction, nicely landscaped, etc. Inland is generally less expensive than coastal. It is what it is .

Also, there are all different types of markets, and shopping centers and people may want to know since some are more expensive, and yet also we have huge outlet complexes in the same area, or a short drive. Wide diversification and something for everyone.

Speaking for us.....

For our family....Erica is a retired supervising M.D. for the L. A. County Health Dept, she is also a private pilot, aerobatic pilot, Highly qualified sailor, sky diver, and PADI Certified up thru rescue diver. I am also retired as a professional commercial pilot, 6500 hrs, and also a Merchant Marine Capt, for vessels up to 500 tons, skippering boats through out half the known world. Point being, we are not millionaires, but we are VERY ACTIVE, and still want to live at the beach....we make it work and are supremely happy

We live in Dana Point, schools are good, there are loads of apartment complexes, homes are expensive, so we rent and can walk to the beach in five minutes. Hiking trails within a few yards, beautiful parks, free concerts on summer sundays, beautiful harbor and marina....and ease of short drives to our sister cities like San Juan Capistrano, and San Clement, and many others. Next door we have the Monarch Country Club for the discerning few, condo prices begin at 3.2 milliion. We are adjacent to the country club and golf course and rent a very nice apartment for $ 1900.00/mo...

We have open areas, hillocks, tall, tall trees, lots of grass, large pool, jacuzzi, great fitness center gym, tennis court, and bbq's

As to markets, there is a huge variety, as is other shopping, and we can drive or even walk, that can vary as to what we need. We have a high end market Gelsons, about a half mile from us, but we chose to shop at Ralphs, which is about a two mile drive. Same quality with lower prices. We need to do what is necessary to live in the area that we enjoy.

Dana Point is a marvelous , friendly beach community in South Orange County, and where we elected to live after leaving Kauai Island ( 10 yrs as full time residents ). We love it here .

We have all kinds of places to shop, in our south county area, with many different types of stores, malls, mom and pops, any thing that we need.

We keep life simple and easy, and , have respect for everyone....and do not dwell on negatives .

Yes, Orange County has is a wide variety of areas to live, and we elect to life in beach cities instead of inland. Our choice. Others enjoy living inland, in whatever type of community feels good for them and their families.

You and every person, can select their own life style, school district, areas for shopping, and going out to dinner, and hiking, or beaching it, job location, wilderness parks, biking trails, hospitals, or whatever.

Some folks are fussy and want lifestyles different from others . That is just fine, and totally acceptable.

Nice to have a place where you have lots of different choices.

Yep, Up to the individual and their families as to where they wish to live.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 AM

tl;dr

Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
ysr racer,

Are you actually moving to Orange County ? Where do you live now ? What do you personally like as far as where to live?

Orange county is widely varied as to where people may want to reside. You will have loads of choices...

As any place , there are school districts that are more highly regarded. Irvine is very high .

Rents and purchasing home costs also vary through out the county. The newer, areas, beach, and south county are in the higher price range category. Newer roads, newer construction, nicely landscaped, etc. Inland is generally less expensive than coastal. It is what it is .

Also, there are all different types of markets, and shopping centers and people may want to know since some are more expensive, and yet also we have huge outlet complexes in the same area, or a short drive. Wide diversification and something for everyone.

Speaking for us.....

For our family....Erica is a retired supervising M.D. for the L. A. County Health Dept, she is also a private pilot, aerobatic pilot, Highly qualified sailor, sky diver, and PADI Certified up thru rescue diver. I am also retired as a professional commercial pilot, 6500 hrs, and also a Merchant Marine Capt, for vessels up to 500 tons, skippering boats through out half the known world. Point being, we are not millionaires, but we are VERY ACTIVE, and still want to live at the beach....we make it work and are supremely happy

We live in Dana Point, schools are good, there are loads of apartment complexes, homes are expensive, so we rent and can walk to the beach in five minutes. Hiking trails within a few yards, beautiful parks, free concerts on summer sundays, beautiful harbor and marina....and ease of short drives to our sister cities like San Juan Capistrano, and San Clement, and many others. Next door we have the Monarch Country Club for the discerning few, condo prices begin at 3.2 milliion. We are adjacent to the country club and golf course and rent a very nice apartment for $ 1900.00/mo...

We have open areas, hillocks, tall, tall trees, lots of grass, large pool, jacuzzi, great fitness center gym, tennis court, and bbq's

As to markets, there is a huge variety, as is other shopping, and we can drive or even walk, that can vary as to what we need. We have a high end market Gelsons, about a half mile from us, but we chose to shop at Ralphs, which is about a two mile drive. Same quality with lower prices. We need to do what is necessary to live in the area that we enjoy.

Dana Point is a marvelous , friendly beach community in South Orange County, and where we elected to live after leaving Kauai Island ( 10 yrs as full time residents ). We love it here .

We have all kinds of places to shop, in our south county area, with many different types of stores, malls, mom and pops, any thing that we need.

We keep life simple and easy, and , have respect for everyone....and do not dwell on negatives .

Yes, Orange County has is a wide variety of areas to live, and we elect to life in beach cities instead of inland. Our choice. Others enjoy living inland, in whatever type of community feels good for them and their families.

You and every person, can select their own life style, school district, areas for shopping, and going out to dinner, and hiking, or beaching it, job location, wilderness parks, biking trails, hospitals, or whatever.

Some folks are fussy and want lifestyles different from others . That is just fine, and totally acceptable.

Nice to have a place where you have lots of different choices.

Yep, Up to the individual and their families as to where they wish to live.
You should go back and read racer's earlier posts to answer your questions.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
You should go back and read racer's earlier posts to answer your questions.
You read all that?

Nice !!

Old 11-06-2018, 03:04 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
i submit you are segregated by how much house you can afford

the Vietnamese tends to congregate in Westminster and Garden Grove though but anybody can buy or rent there

a vietnamese will tell you though that its the whites who dont want to be neighbors with them coz they fled Westminster and GG once they landed in those areas.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
i submit you are segregated by how much house you can afford

the Vietnamese tends to congregate in Westminster and Garden Grove though but anybody can buy or rent there

a vietnamese will tell you though that its the whites who dont want to be neighbors with them coz they fled Westminster and GG once they landed in those areas.
I have no issue with Vietnamese people. However, living in a community that is based on relatively recent arrivals, with English not being spoken, with foods and cultural practices with which they are unfamiliar, and seeing businesses that cater to one ethnic group, I can see why many whites moved from those areas and understand how alienated many of them must have felt.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:07 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
if they they didnt sell their houses, would there be little saigon today?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:00 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I looked in the other CA counties forums, and I don't see nearly the continuous asking of:

I'm looking for an xxxxxxxxx community. Are there any xxxxxxxxx schools? Are there any xxxxxxxxx markets? Are there any xxxxxxxxx apartment complexes?

Why is Orange County so self segregated?

I don't think Orange County is so self segregated, really. Other counties, like LA and San Francisco, have way more cultural clusters. In L.A. County, there are very established Korean, Thai, Armenian, Russian, Cambodian, etc. communities that are pretty easy to find online or by simply asking around.

Here in Orange County, I don't think we have as many and they're not as easy to find. I mean, there's Little Saigon, but I don't think anyone has ever asked where they can go to find a Vietnamese community in Orange County.

Indian? Burmese? Bangladesh? Ethiopian? Go ask the folks on City-Data .

Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 AM

936 posts, read 2,082,521 times
There are many Vietnamese in Fountain Valley too. My realtor told me that 75% of buyers in Fountain Valley now are Vietnamese and the sellers are usually older White Americans moving to South OC or out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County