Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,893,534 times

Advertisements

Fight it. Get enough people to sign a petition for a ballot initiative and perhaps this injustice will be corrected.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
I guess the entire family is moving before the year?

Knew someone that had a new car and he left it with his daughter till she finished school which worked out to be exactly a year and a week.

The vehicle has to physically enter California... however... storing the vehicle or "Transit" time doesn't count towards the year.

In their case... she had proof that she lived in the other state attending school and car receipts... for oil changes, gas, etc...

The only other work around that I know is for active duty military... you choose your home state for registration. My co-worker, whose husband was active military was stopped several times for driving a car with Florida tags and ticketed once... she went to court and the Judge admonished the officer for not knowing the law.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
Store the car in a storage facility in the other state.. while renting/leasing another car in CA short term. Once the 1 year has passed since you bought the car, go over and retrieve that car and return the rental. Surely it shouldn't cost $5000 (otherwise, you might need a tip or two from the Frugal Living forum.)

Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM

653 posts, read 940,455 times
So, let me get this straight... you pay higher taxes / reg. fee transferring a car to CA from out of state if you purchased it new less than a year before the transfer? If so... what if you purchased a used vehicle less than a year before the transfer?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Store the car in a storage facility in the other state.. while renting/leasing another car in CA short term. Once the 1 year has passed since you bought the car, go over and retrieve that car and return the rental. Surely it shouldn't cost $5000 (otherwise, you might need a tip or two from the Frugal Living forum.)
Hold up, I think we're missing the larger point here. There's a Frugal Living forum?!!! Sweet!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM

124 posts, read 333,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
So, let me get this straight... you pay higher taxes / reg. fee transferring a car to CA from out of state if you purchased it new less than a year before the transfer? If so... what if you purchased a used vehicle less than a year before the transfer?
I dont know, but I'm assuming that it won't cost as much. I haven't looked since, but I do thin there was a calus in there somewhere that said if it had less than 7000 miles it was considered new.
Crazy I know, but it is what it is.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
I dont know, but I'm assuming that it won't cost as much. I haven't looked since, but I do thin there was a calus in there somewhere that said if it had less than 7000 miles it was considered new.
Crazy I know, but it is what it is.
It might be worth finding out. At $10,000 ($5k a pop x 2 cars), it may save you money to get two 1-yo. used cars.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Storage and Transit time are specifically excluded from the one year period...

I have brought in cars many times from out of State and the State charges fees just as if the car was bought in California...

Our proximity to Oregon is a primary factor... Oregon charges NO sales tax... that 50K BMW costs 50K... not over 55K as it would in my California country with tax... Oregon also charges much less for license and registration...

If California didn't have this rule... the Oregon Boarder would be loaded with Car Dealers just there to sell to Californians...

All is not lost... generally, any tax paid to another State will be credited against the Tax owed in California... So if California charges 5k for that new car and you just paid 1k in the State you are leaving... California would be due the difference of 4k

Oh... California calculates the tax on the full value... so trading in your old car has no bearing on how California calculates the tax due... unlike many States where the tax due is only on the difference.

Remember... California has just about every tax under the sun...

Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Storage and Transit time are specifically excluded from the one year period...

I have brought in cars many times from out of State and the State charges fees just as if the car was bought in California...

Our proximity to Oregon is a primary factor... Oregon charges NO sales tax... that 50K BMW costs 50K... not over 55K as it would in my California country with tax... Oregon also charges much less for license and registration...

If California didn't have this rule... the Oregon Boarder would be loaded with Car Dealers just there to sell to Californians...
Exactly how it is here in MD. DE has no tax, however, I live in MD, so since my car is registered in MD, I pay MD tax, not DE tax, even if I purchased the car in DE, or VA, or PA, or NY (which I've done all of the above).

What is perplexing about the OP, is that his cars are leased, so I still don't get why he'd owe CA tax at all if he paid no tax to lease the car in his current state. Granted, I've never leased a car, so I'm sure I'm missing something. I just wish there were a loop around for him as it seems excessive, but what do I know?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Exactly how it is here in MD. DE has no tax, but only to DE residents. I live in MD, so since my car is registered in MD, I pay MD tax, not DE tax, even if I purchased the car in DE.

What is perplexing about the OP, is that his cars are leased, so I still don't get why he'd owe CA tax at all if he paid no tax to lease the car in his current state. Granted, I've never leased a car so I'm sure I'm missing something.
It's a quirk in the Tax Law... many businesses would lease expensive luxury vehicles because No Sale had taken place... therefore no tax due.

Sales Tax is over 10% in some areas... so the amount of money in not insignificant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County