U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 AM

11,890 posts, read 12,288,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Orange County rule: The shorter your commute, the better your life.

Driving around here will leave you worn out and ticked off. Eventually, it will turn you into a git because you have been frustrated and ticked off for so long, you stop thinking about or caring about other people..
HA - sounds like Connecticut. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, I suppose. Just with better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,228,764 times
Quote:
Orange County rule: The shorter your commute, the better your life.
Well sort of, but that is sort of a an extreme absolute sounding rule. What happens if you don't like the neighborhoods near your work? Say for example, someone had a job in RSM and he didn't like those South OC communities (maybe he is a young single man or wants more of an adult scene or maybe a more culturally diverse neighborhood, whatever), wouldn't it be a consideration for him to live and extra 15-20 miles away maybe in Dana Point, San Clemente, Laguna Beach, Westminister as a trade off?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 AM

64 posts, read 56,222 times
The traffic is not going to be a problem for him. Ive been underwhlelmed by the traffic in OC compared to NYC metro traffic. The traffic on 95 in southern CT is complete hel1, there is nothing in OC that compares. And thats a good thing.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Yes, traffic along 95 and the Merritt Parkway is arguably the worst in the country, largely because they're the main funnel into Manhattan from the northern suburbs. Those highways exist in hell. I visited Orange County a lot and felt the talk about traffic was a bit overstated. But we will see.

We don't want more than a 30 minute commute.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM

That's why we love OC so far. All of the good things people told us about (weather, beaches, schools, activities) have proven true and all of the "negatives" (traffic, costs, materialism) have proven to be false. I'm sure it has to do with your vantage point, if you moved here from Nebraska the traffic and prices might be shocking. But from where I came from (and where you are coming from ) the traffic is actually less, the taxes are lower and the people might even be friendlier.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM

5,340 posts, read 5,974,684 times
Yep. A much easier transition for east coasters (who tend to stay)
I've noticed that many Midwesterners tend to return to the midwest after about 10 years.

That being said. Your OC experience will be much more enjoyable if you work close to where you live.

In Addition to Mission Viejo and Lake Forest, you may want to check out Irvine, Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel. That caveat is that these cities tend to be very family oriented and may get a bit boring.

Laguna Beach has a bit of an east coast feel to it that you may like

Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,922,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisBlack View Post
That's why we love OC so far. All of the good things people told us about (weather, beaches, schools, activities) have proven true and all of the "negatives" (traffic, costs, materialism) have proven to be false. I'm sure it has to do with your vantage point, if you moved here from Nebraska the traffic and prices might be shocking. But from where I came from (and where you are coming from ) the traffic is actually less, the taxes are lower and the people might even be friendlier.
People are generally more openly friendly in the west. It is just more shallow and superficial. Still it is often more pleasant, especially at first. IN some areas however people get too caught up in themr own issues. THey are late for soccer, or karate, or piano or ballet lesson, or for a card game or a beach party, etc. After a while the contantly late people think about only one thing: "I am late, get out of my way" Is everyone like that? No. However in some areas it is a pervasive issue.

When I interviewed for my scond job, I was told "We like midwesterners because of your work ethic, but you guys alawys end up oving back there" My response was "No way I am ever going back there. I hate the cold and love it here too much."

However, 18 years later, off we went.

I think that happens a lot. As peopple grow older they want their kids to have what they had and/or have problems or concerns with what they see going on around them with kids in OC. It was a big factor for us. You are correct though. A dozen friends evnetually followed us to OC. All eventually left. Usually in 5-10 years. Only one other fmaily stayed as long as we did (18 years - plus I stiull live in OC at times).

Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
As peopple grow older they want their kids to have what they had and/or have problems or concerns with what they see going on around them with kids in OC. It was a big factor for us.
What kind of problems if you don't mind my asking?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM

5,006 posts, read 5,005,469 times
Generally speaking, the commute from anywhere to Irvine will not be pleasant. In terms of being a job center, Irvine is the OC equivalent of Downtown LA.

So if you can afford to live in Irvine, then do live in Irvine. The schools are great, as a bonus!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What kind of problems if you don't mind my asking?
Don't buy into it. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County