U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:56 PM

334 posts, read 794,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One thing I have learned. If yo open your car windows in humid heat, it cools you off. If you open car windows in dry heat, it is like a convection oven - you just cook more evenly.

However overall dry heat is more tolerable excpet that you burn more easily and your skin can get dried out.
Yeah, well said. A breeze in humid weather feels more refreshing that when the heat is dry. Air conditioning also seems to work better in humid conditions. Overall, though, the human body cools itself more efficiently in dry heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,607,203 times
A/C is less efficient in humid conditions. It has to work harder to cool less.

Forgot to add: The reason it feels so deliciously good is because it removes so much of the uncomfortable moisture from the inside air.

Last edited by Fontucky; 03-18-2012 at 10:12 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 PM

539 posts, read 1,003,849 times
If anyone has ever lived in the south with some of the worst humidity, you'd know dry heat is the greatest thing on earth.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 AM

251 posts, read 543,623 times
I heard the South (Florida) has 85% humidity. Back in Hong Kong, this would make people remark how comfortable it is, and it really did feel dry. That said, I KNOW what humid heat is like, having experienced 100% humidity with 100 degrees and NO breeze. It usually happens with a passing typhoon; the air is stagnant for hundreds of miles and there is tons of smog. It's as polluted as the Santa Ana winds during the fires.

But, that is STILL more tolerable than, say, Las Vegas in June.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 AM

8 posts, read 8,022 times
Humid cold is okay. Humid hot is the worst thing. It's like being in a sauna, sweating all over with perspiration that doesn't evaporate, but just cakes on you more and more.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,804,041 times
I'm near the Irvine area, and to me, it's not hot at all! Just fine most of the time, except for having to always have at least a sweater once the sun sets due to that pesky marine layer.
I've been to Hong Kong, and I loved its subtropical climate. How anyone from there could find Irvine to be too hot is beyond me.
I haven't been to Houston, but I've been to FL in the late spring, and the air felt like a heavy blanket. I couldn't stand it. I've been to El Paso, which can get quite hot - easier to breathe than hot humid places, but still uncomfortable.
That said, I'd rather live somewhere drier. As I'm typing this, I have a dehumidifier running. Since it rained recently, this room has been smelling musty and I've had furniture ruined from mold. In a drier area, this wouldn't be an issue and my laundry and hair would dry faster as well.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,740 times
I was in Dallas with humid heat- step outside & you immediately sweat. In El Paso with very low humidity, it's still hot, but it doesn't FEEL as hot as it would in a more humid area with the same temperature. It does dry out my skin sometimes which is not fun. I do like not having to worry about mold and the fact that everything dries really quickly (although it sucks that I have to water my plants very often if they're not succulents or cacti) -_-

Old 03-26-2012, 01:28 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,172,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm22 View Post
Some interesting 2011 weather data for Irvine (SNA airport station)

2011 Number of days 95+ degrees = 2 (both in Oct, probably during Santa Ana conditions) .05%
2011 Number of days 90+ degrees = 7 (this includes the (2) 95+ days in Oct) 2%

Now is it really very hot in Irvine?
BTW, most summer days are much closer to 80 degrees than 90.
Exactly. Irvine, hot and humid? lol! I spend a decade in Orange and it was rarely hot or humid. I lived in San Antonio for a couple years and THAT was hot and humid!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM

2,140 posts, read 3,007,982 times
If it's the same temperature then dry wins handsdown.

But if you compare an average Phoenix 110F with 68% humidity day to Miami 90F with 89% humidity, then it's a wash. 110 degrees does not feel good whether dry or not.

In the end SOCAL has an almost perfect climate. Sometimes it does get too cool at night.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,433,768 times
Cities such as San Diego have been noted for having exceptional weather for decades, arguably the best in the nation, but irvine's weather (and most of the rest of the OC for that matter) isn't too shabby either, primarily because episodes of Teas-style humidity are nearly nonexistent, and the afternoon breezes which come in like clockwork in the early afternoon really minimize the duration of any super-hot stretches.

Consequently, dry-heat beats the heck out of Texas/Midwest/Deep South style heat anytime.

Last edited by Marv101; 04-01-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County