U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM

2,910 posts, read 3,616,254 times

Advertisements

I always assumed that it was short for "the 405 freeway", "the 5 freeway", etc. Just say "the 405" or "the 5".

As far as freeways not having route numbers that would probably only happen if they were built outside of the federal or state network with no federal or state money. Because even non-freeways (like Hwy 39/Beach Boulevard) get numbers if they are part of the state network.

The only freeway that I know of that does not have a number is the very end of the Long Beach Freeway in Long Beach near downtown. The 710 splits to go to Terminal Island and the eastern spur while considered to be a freeway by Caltrans was built and is maintained entirely by the city of Long Beach so it has no number. However as I type this I see that wikipedia says that it is now signed "710" starting at Ocean Boulevard. I know that Long Beach wanted Caltrans to maintain it (which was the reason that I had heard about it several years ago) so maybe that came to pass and it's now the 710.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,071,876 times
Being a Northeasterner my entire life, I don't understand why on earth people would say "the 405." It's not grammatically correct. The proper way to say it is "405," as in "you should take 405 to get there." Or "there's a lot of traffic on 405 right now." Or, as is commonly said, "take route 405 to get there."

Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 PM

2,910 posts, read 3,616,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Being a Northeasterner my entire life, I don't understand why on earth people would say "the 405." It's not grammatically correct. The proper way to say it is "405," as in "you should take 405 to get there." Or "there's a lot of traffic on 405 right now." Or, as is commonly said, "take route 405 to get there."
If "the 405" is short for "the 405 freeway" then it is grammatically correct.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,537,614 times
14 pages on the"the" in "the 405?" Bring it on! This is English as she is spoken and broken. It's one of the few genuine regional differences left.

This is the first time I've seen the "the" in freeway designations compared to the "the" in bus route numbers. Interesting. That comparison would tend to support the idea that the "the" shows a feeling of familiarity. "The 38 bus" tells you I know all about it, am referring to it with a number like the transit agency does.

Contradictory theory: "The 405" and so on derive from using names for freeways, like the "San Diego Freeway." But names get to be a pain if you have to use more than two or three of them. Southern California has a lot of freeways, with many people traveling different freeways at least occasionally. So one wants to use numbers, easier to keep them straight, especially since the numbers are organized in a more or less rational fashion (albeit that the state and the feds use different numbering conventions). So the number 405 gets substituted in to those freeway names, but keeps its "the". Speculating.

If you think of the two directions of the 405 as separate, then it could be the 810.

Nice to know that whatever you call it, folks can handle a short closure of a segment I-405 without hysteria and panic.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:27 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,680,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Or, as is commonly said, "take route 405 to get there."
Nobody says "route" in So Cal, unless it prefaces "66" or appends "ridge." We also don't use the words "expressway" and "thruway." Those are just a few examples of why we're so f'in wonderful.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:46 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,028,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nobody says "route" in So Cal, unless it prefaces "66" or appends "ridge." We also don't use the words "expressway" and "thruway." Those are just a few examples of why we're so f'in wonderful.
Well there are the Amtrak Thruway buses.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,680,165 times
Like I said...

Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,187,787 times
I grew up and lived in SoCal for 36 years, currently in the Midwest for 18 years and find myself using "the" for interstates/highways around here. I'm frequently asked if I'm from SoCal.

Last edited by smpliving; 10-13-2012 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 AM

474 posts, read 494,066 times
It is grammatically correct, just abbreviated to exclude the word "freeway" as in "the 405 freeway"

But, it is also because coastal southern california is so awesome that once any interstate crosses its storied boundary, it becomes legend.

North, south, east or west, there will only be one stretch of interstate 5, 10, 15, of any significance and that is why it is THE 5, THE 15, THE 405 for as long as it is in SoCal!

Once you leave this famed soil, you can call it whatever you like: Route (roote), I-?, Turnpike, number only, great! Once it is out of socal, it has lost its significance and definitive qualities.

Long live Southern California!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 PM

2,629 posts, read 3,030,971 times
I can't believe I read all this. I'm a native Californian, I will say I'm from SoCal, have used Cali, but not very often if ever. Yes I call it Frisco and I know you NorCal ppl hate it, but whatevers, I've heard you call it The OC. Obviously I preface my highways with "the", but I have to admit, when I first started driving, the names of the freeways were still being used.

And therefore, I leave you with the two things I hate about CA freeways.

The 91
It is the Gardena Freeway, the Artesia Freeway, and the Riverside Freeway all in one.
When you come from Vegas, it let's you know that Beach Cities is to the West, although the beach isn't anywhere near that part of the freeway. There are others like this too.

Using city names for directions.
I have ended up in Santa Monica way too many times when I really wanted to go inland. But when I'm inland, heading West is "Santa Monica". But once you pass a certain point, "Santa Monica" now becomes East. WTH!

Loved the thread. Keep it going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or