U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 PM

1,838 posts, read 5,240,977 times

Advertisements

The southern half of Orange County has bike lanes or a decent width shoulder along almost every major through street. I pedal my bike about 8000 miles per year along those streets. I bike commute every work day of the year and also use the bike for local errands. This is bicycle paradise compared to almost anywhere else in the US. It is true that there is not a high percentage of people who bike and walk for errands or transportation in many parts of OC. However, around Santa Ana, Anaheim and Tustin I see lots of people out on the streets walking to the store or using bikes to get from A to B.

Today I was visiting in downtown LA and saw a Chevron gas station just a few blocks from Union Station with prices at over $5 per gallon. When that becomes more common around here, we might see a few more people walking or riding a bike for local errands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:39 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,750,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
However, around Santa Ana, Anaheim and Tustin I see lots of people out on the streets walking to the store or using bikes to get from A to B.
That's called poverty and/or no license.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,055,402 times
I am down by South Coast Plaza and frequently find I am the only one on the sidewalk when I walk. At night it feels weird, and somewhat unsafe (though not sure it is). As a result I end up driving more than I would like.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:23 PM

74 posts, read 102,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I am down by South Coast Plaza and frequently find I am the only one on the sidewalk when I walk. At night it feels weird, and somewhat unsafe (though not sure it is). As a result I end up driving more than I would like.
I feel the same when I am taking a walk to after the sun goes down, and I pass by someone else walking in the opposite direction, I feel a little tense. If there were more people walking around, i'd feel safer.

I've also seen people cross the street and walk on the other side of the road right before passing me. Yes, it could be coincidence, or it could be they feel unsafe too.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Maybe you've never been to the beach. Tons of walkers and bicyclists in every beach community
I was riding down PCH today, and it was a warm sunny gorgeous day, and there were tons of people walking, jogging, and cycling, and thats great.

But when i'm away from the beach, and it's not sunny or warm, or its a weekday early evening? Hardly anyone is walking or biking.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The southern half of Orange County has bike lanes or a decent width shoulder along almost every major through street. I pedal my bike about 8000 miles per year along those streets. I bike commute every work day of the year and also use the bike for local errands. This is bicycle paradise compared to almost anywhere else in the US. It is true that there is not a high percentage of people who bike and walk for errands or transportation in many parts of OC. However, around Santa Ana, Anaheim and Tustin I see lots of people out on the streets walking to the store or using bikes to get from A to B.

Today I was visiting in downtown LA and saw a Chevron gas station just a few blocks from Union Station with prices at over $5 per gallon. When that becomes more common around here, we might see a few more people walking or riding a bike for local errands.
I feel lucky to live in an area that has amazing climate, and dozens of beautiful trails for running and biking, and wide roads with bike lanes and well maintained sidewalks.

But the fewer pedestrians and cyclists there are, the less awareness there is, and the less awareness there is, the more drivers do things like: not looking both ways when they pull out of a parking lot and hit a runner or skateboarder, or making a right turn on a red light and cutting off someone on a bike. Or opening their car door without checking to see if the bike lane is clear, and taking out a cyclist.

The fact that our only public transportation is a limited bus system should only make these other forms of transportation more appealing.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That's called poverty and/or no license.
It's that kind of stigmatizing, and associating people that walk, or bike, with being poor, that's doing a disservice to your community.

I know there are people out there who wont walk to a store because they don't want to look like a poor person, and that's pretty damn sad.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 AM

11,726 posts, read 24,750,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post
It's that kind of stigmatizing, and associating people that walk, or bike, with being poor, that's doing a disservice to your community.

I know there are people out there who wont walk to a store because they don't want to look like a poor person, and that's pretty damn sad.
Sorry. I call 'em like I see 'em.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 AM

1,357 posts, read 885,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post

This is the problem I have to contend with here in the OC. I hate driving, and I need the exercise. But whenever I walk to my errands, I feel like people driving by probably think I'm a bag lady. And the only others I see walking in the area to and from those businesses and along those busy streets are unlicensed day laborers and crazy homeless people pushing grocery carts full of trash. So I feel really out of place, not to mention that all those drivers going by can get really noisy and the air is somewhat polluted. It's not the same as walking near the beach and hearing seagulls and waves crashing and smelling fresh salt air. Or taking a relaxing stroll through the neighborhood in the evening and hearing the crickets chirp and smelling the Star Jasmine.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 AM

1,241 posts, read 823,173 times
This thread reminds me of the short story "The Pedestrian" by Ray Bradbury:

http://mikejmoran.typepad.com/files/...bradbury-1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County