U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 PM

74 posts, read 102,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
sorry...but most cyclists are truly pesky...I live up in the hills..our roads are two lane ..I cannot believe how rude cyclists can be..they totally take up my lane..I mean riding 4 across so I have to CRAWL down the hill..then they run stop signs that I and all car drivers dutifully stop at...when I finally get to two lanes ..they are rude enuf to give me the finger if I express my frustration..so no..you are not slowing me down for mayber 3 seconds...please do NOT ride more than one abreast..so the homeowners paying for the roads can at least get past you..in most states you would get ticketed for the way many many cyclists take up the roads...run stops and red lights..

you do not have my sympathy...most of you are total PIA rude and think you own the roads I pay for
There are unsafe and agressive cyclists just like there are unsafe and agressive drivers. Is it fair to say they are ALL like that?

When I get cut off by someone who's making a right turn in a hurry, do I decide that all drivers are inconsiderate aholes? Nope. Because i've encountered plenty of drivers who have backed up for me when they were blocking the bike lane, and others who have waved me down and apologized when they almost caused a collision. I give them a wave, so they know I appreciate their consideration.

Also, most cyclists are affluent citizens and working professionals who are weekend riders. It's not a cheap hobby. Lookup how much a full carbon bike costs. They pay more taxes than most of the population.

I pay income taxes, property tax, I pay registration and insurance on my car, and I use my bike whenever I can. Not just for recreation, but to get things done. I know that's difficult for some people to compute. I know it's weird that not only poor people, bums, illegal immigrants, and people with suspended licenses would willingly deal with the intense humiliation, shame, embarassment, and stigma of riding a bike.

You don't have sympathy for cyclists because you do not ride a bicycle.

Last edited by cnev3; 03-07-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
There's something about being on two wheels, motorized or otherwise, that makes people think:

A) They're invincible
B) The rules of the road don't apply to them
Invincible? Read any bike forum and you will see threads about the latest deaths of cyclists, and memorial threads for cyclists they knew that have died.

Every cyclist knows that every time they get out on the road, there is a significant chance they could get killed.

I always have mortality in the back of my mind, which is why I stick to riding on trails when I am cycling for recreation. And I ride very cautiously when I am riding on the streets, that means, no listening to music, using a good lighting system, slowing down when I am riding aside rows of parked cars, etc...

Frankly, it's people like NurseRosie, who seem to harbor an intense hatred for cyclists, that make me fear for my safety, more than any honest mistake I might make.

Your driving a 3000 pound vehicle, you have seat belts and airbags. Do you really need to be agressive towards someone who's riding a 20lb piece of aluminum where even a small speed collision could kill them? Really? They are one less vehicle on the road adding to your traffic, is it really so hard to be a little more positive towards them?

Last edited by cnev3; 03-07-2012 at 09:56 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Maybe if bike riders obeyed the traffic laws rather than flaunting them people would have less of a problem with them. It's sad that it makes me feel so good when I see a cop pull over a bicyclist for running a stop sign.
Anyone riding a bike unsafely and breaks laws should be cited. I am 100% with you on that. But this thread is about the handful of reasons why people should ride a bike, or walk, or skateboard, and how OC should be encouraging it, especially since we don't have any kind of rail system to lessen the burden of traffic, and the cost of fuel.

Last edited by cnev3; 03-07-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,729,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post
Invincible? Read any bike forum and you will see threads about the latest deaths of cyclists, and memorial threads for cyclists they knew that have died.

Every cyclist knows that every time they get out on the road, there is a significant chance they could get killed.

I always have mortality in the back of my mind, which is why I stick to riding on trails when I am cycling for recreation. And I ride very cautiously when I am riding on the streets, that means, no listening to music, using a good lighting system, slowing down when I am riding aside rows of parked cars, etc..
I guess all the cyclists I see blowing through 4 way stops, riding on the sidewalk against traffic when there's actually a bike lane, weaving through traffic, etc, didn't get the memo.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Regarding "bike paths" - I don't want a separate path. I want to go the same places the traffic goes; I am traffic.
If cycling reaches a popularity and awareness that is on par with europe, than this would be feasible. Their general population has a better understand how to share the road, and they don't honk and yell at cyclists because they aren't riding on the sidewalk.

Which is why in spit of the fact they have much fewer bike lanes, and much more narrow roads, they still have a much lower percentage of cyclist fatalities than in the states.

Currently, the only feasible option right now in the US, is to either make a bike lane for every single road, or completely eliminate all bike lanes, so that sharing the road is fully understood by all drivers. Our current setup of how some roads have bike lanes, and some dont, are the cause of the confusion, controversy, and misunderstanding that drivers have.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM

To the bike haters on here, Orange County is an awesome place to bike! We have tons and tons of bike trails, beautiful scenic trails, that the rest of the country are envious of. Our primo climate only makes it better. You're missing out!

You can at least get your feet wet. Buy a used beach cruiser on craigslist for less than $100, and take it to the bike trail in huntington beach, newport beach, long beach. You will have a great time, and the best part is, you feel good afterwards.

Throw a basket or pannier on there, and you have yourself a nice little grocery getter.

I see tons of people using the recumbent bikes at 24 hour fitness, power walking on the treadmills, and taking spin classes, but this cannot compare to doing a 50 mile ride or a 10 mile jog on the santa ana river trail! Way more motivation, way more satisfying than doing your exercise in a crowded, dull, sweaty gym.

Don't get me wrong, I am a 24 hour fitness member myself, but it's great to supplement it with outdoor activity.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I guess all the cyclists I see blowing through 4 way stops, riding on the sidewalk against traffic when there's actually a bike lane, weaving through traffic, etc, didn't get the memo.
I see it too, but they are more endangering their own lives, than they are drivers. If they get themselves hurt, they live with the consequences of their actions. That shouldn't warrant you having animosity towards all cyclists and turn you off from the idea of using a bike yourself.

I admit I have made mistakes myself, but I can honestly say, I have had 10x more close calls caused by drivers, than from poor judgement on my part.

Just today when riding home from the beach, an old man making a left turn into a shopping center, decided he couldnt wait 4 seconds for me to pass, and made his turn, and I had to slam on my brakes to stop from hitting him. These type of things happen on almost every ride.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,729,612 times
Quote:
I see it too, but they are more endangering their own lives, than they are drivers. If they get themselves hurt, they live with the consequences of their actions.
Its not that simple. As a driver, I am required to carry insurance. If some idiot on a bike does something stupid and I hit him, he could easily decide to claim it was my fault and sue me.

Quote:
I admit I have made mistakes myself, but I can honestly say, I have had 10x more close calls caused by drivers, than from poor judgement on my part.
Reverse it and I could easily say the same.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 AM

700 posts, read 619,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Maybe if bike riders obeyed the traffic laws rather than flaunting them people would have less of a problem with them. It's sad that it makes me feel so good when I see a cop pull over a bicyclist for running a stop sign.
Ahh, so once they behave, then maybe cyclists won't get run over.

Right.

Motorists don't speed? Don't break tint laws? Don't roll stop signs? Don't talk on their cell phones while driving?

Give me a break.

I see more motorists breaking traffic laws than cyclists.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM

700 posts, read 619,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
so the homeowners paying for the roads can at least get past you..in most states you would get ticketed for the way many many cyclists take up the roads...run stops and red lights..

you do not have my sympathy...most of you are total PIA rude and think you own the roads I pay for
You are incredibly misinformed.

Roads are heavily subsidized by taxpayers. And cars have external costs you aren't considering that we ALL pay for, including pollution, wasted time in traffic, ped/cyclist injuries and an unbelievable number of fatalities.

So no, "you" don't pay for roads. WE all pay for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County