U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 AM

700 posts, read 1,116,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post
If cycling reaches a popularity and awareness that is on par with europe, than this would be feasible.
How can cycling become popular if we don't have bike lanes that route you to the places you need/want to go? It's a chicken / egg. Bike lanes are cheap to stripe and often don't take away from car lanes. It's a win/win.

This is the same crowd that moans about traffic, then ridicules cyclists for wearing spandex - pointing out the one guy who runs red lights as a proxy for the behavior an entire group of people.

Yet, every single time I get in a car, I witness countless speeders, cell phone jabbers, "California Rollers" that roll stop signs, etc etc etc. These, of course, aren't proxies for all motorists - but it illustrates how every group of people is going to have its share of miscreants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM

590 posts, read 1,066,506 times
Correction. The roads we all pay for

Point was the bikers who bike 4 abreast in my hood of 2 lane roads. In their spiffy lurid spandex shorts on their wildly expensive carbon bikes. Then they reach a stop sign and cruise right on thru.

And no. Not just 1 biker but very nearly every biker I see. In fact. Cannot even recall when I actually saw one of those bike packs stop at a stop sign

Those of you denying it are likely the biggest offenders

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,882,638 times
I pay a lot of tax on the gas I buy. How much gas tax does a cyclist pay?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Good one!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I pay a lot of tax on the gas I buy. How much gas tax does a cyclist pay?
Gas tax is only one source of funding for roads. Infrastructure is heavily subsidized by other taxes, as well.

Who pays for the tens of thousands of auto-related fatalities each year?
Who pays for the pollution from your car?

The tax you pay at the pump is a pittance compared with the externalities associated with driving a car.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
And no. Not just 1 biker but very nearly every biker I see. In fact. Cannot even recall when I actually saw one of those bike packs stop at a stop sign

Those of you denying it are likely the biggest offenders
Show me where I denied anything.

And please share how often you hit the road and DON'T see someone exceeding the speed limit, talking on the cell phone or rolling stop signs.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Good one!
So I assume you go 65 on the freeway?
Have no tint on your front windows?
Don't have a navigation unit on your windshield?
Never talk on a cell phone while driving?
Come to a full and complete stop at every stop sign?
Wait for pedestrians to be completely clear of a crosswalk before entering?

And violations of these and other areas of the CMVC are all extreme rarities for motorists, right?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:45 PM

I must be either old or believe in laws. Only one on your list I can admit to is going over65 mph. And that is only going out to desert
Never ever use cell phone at the wheel. Rarely ever use it

My hubby always reminds me if I even think of a rolling stop. Always stop for pedes even if they are crossing illegally

Have not gotten pulled over for anything in over 25 years.

Haven't not used a seatbelt since 1976 when I barely survived a headon(yep. Uninsured drunk....he got 9 months in jail..I got 37 years of a totally wrecked leg that continues to remind me. Oh. And out of work for a year)

And your car driving record is what?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Oh. And none of my mildly tinted windows are against ca law

Old 03-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I must be either old or believe in laws. Only one on your list I can admit to is going over65 mph. And that is only going out to desert
Never ever use cell phone at the wheel. Rarely ever use it

My hubby always reminds me if I even think of a rolling stop. Always stop for pedes even if they are crossing illegally

Have not gotten pulled over for anything in over 25 years.

Haven't not used a seatbelt since 1976 when I barely survived a headon(yep. Uninsured drunk....he got 9 months in jail..I got 37 years of a totally wrecked leg that continues to remind me. Oh. And out of work for a year)
And how often do you see folks breaking these laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or