U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM

371 posts, read 645,983 times

Advertisements

The County of Orange is hiring, if you are interested in working for the government.

The County of Orange California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM

28 posts, read 98,729 times
I would go for it. You only live once.
We are moving to a condo in Huntington Beach to be on the beach and give up our house we are in now. The noise of PCH doesn't bother us as long as we get to see the ocean everyday from our condo.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 AM

32 posts, read 49,719 times
It's pretty much impossible to get a call when you are out of state. Just trying everything I can.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 AM

5,802 posts, read 5,445,530 times
'Socially acceptable' is not a term I'd use nor should it be a concern for anyone contemplating moving to OC; the desireability of the area (most of OC anyway), superb schools (ditto) and lots of other things are among the reasons why it's always been a very nice area in which to live and raise a family.

OC as a whole suffered a lot less that other parts of SoCal in the housing crash, and yeah traffic can be gruesome throughout large swaths of the county, but you do need deep pockets to live here, since our grocery prices and gasoline prices ($4.19/gallon for unleaded is about as cheap as you'll find right now) are also pretty challenging for millions of us.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:51 PM

I guess I used that term (socially acceptable) just to probe the "social culture" of Southern California. I know there are a lot of people with a lot of money there, and we are not those people! We are just average, college educated folks who drive old cars. We scrimped, saved, and sacrificed to invest in real estate here in the Chicago area. We enjoy living in a single family home and that is pretty much the norm in the Chicago burbs. I know for a fact that if you grow up in an apartment here, you will be considered from the "wrong side of the tracks". I just want to make sure that's not the case in SoCal, and I'm so glad to here that it's not! My husband works in the natural foods industry and is pursuing jobs in that field. I have a feeling we will eventually just rent out our current house, take our savings and go, jobs or not. Scary, but what the heck? We will always have a house here to fall back on.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM

42 posts, read 65,944 times
who cares what others think?

the question is, is it really the best thing to do for your kid as opposed to living in a more spacious single family home/townhome in say, aliso viejo, and taking the 10 minute drive down to laguna when you have time? this really depends on how much space your family needs. if you are contemplating on whether your child will have enough play space, chances are they probably won't. however, when your kid's older and doesn't need to be confined to one area to 'play' in, or isn't even interested in anything of that sort (teen), then by all means go for it. i think you should wait awhile, though and seek out some nearby suburbs. just my two cents

and trust me, $2000/mo rent will not go far in laguna

Last edited by itsrita; 03-25-2012 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,445,530 times
I agree with that; not only won't 2K go very far rent-wise in Laguna Beach, but there are numerous very nice communities nearby with equally solid schools where that same $2,000 will get you substantially more living space, especially with a young child.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 PM

455 posts, read 1,108,147 times
Quote:
We have a toddler and are worried that he would be ostracized because we are not rich
Not sure if you are for real or just trolling us.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,470,869 times
I grew up in Huntington Beach and lived across from Marina High School and we lived in an apartment. Honestly, I did feel embarrassed to live where I did and always felt ostracized. I don't know if I WAS ostracized but I felt "lesser". However, I'm the type of person who has ALWAYS been super conscious of social class and wealth, even as a high school student and still am to this day (in my thirties now). Most people and most normal teens probably don't think twice about these things but I did and still do. I am the type of person who was always very aware of how I was being perceived and still am. We lived in perfectly safe apartments, however they were not luxury apartments. I probably would have felt better about myself if we lived in a more upscale and luxury place like 3400 Avenue of the Arts for example.

I've always felt "inferior" to the kids who lived by Huntington Harbor and who got a car at age 16. I felt like the cooler and more "popular" kids didn't live in apartments and I was aware of class differences even back then. We weren't ostracized but I never felt "rich" or "cool".

A lot of people claim that growing up humble made them stronger but as an adult I have to say it only made me bitter. I've lived in 3400 Avenue of the Arts btw as an adult and thus I have experienced what it's like to have the "better address" as well and it's much better mentally. Sounds shallow but it's true. It's socially acceptable to live an apartment but your kids may feel inferior to those who live in big houses (I did). Luxury apartments are not a problem in my opinion; comparable to living in a house in terms of status.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM

why do people think i'm "trolling"? i don't really know what it means, but i know it's derogatory. i'm just trying to get feedback about what it's like to live somewhere i don't know a ton about- social culture, what it's like to grow up there, etc. i've vacationed in southern california but as i've stated, vacationing is different than living there. i'm really happy to get positive feedback. i think wondering if we would fit in somewhere that people have tons of money and we don't is a legitimate concern. thank you jackie100 for your insight and honesty, that is what i'm looking for. i'm not sure why people are questioning or criticizing me. i'm just trying to dig deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or