U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM

255 posts, read 241,546 times
Default Any Cantonese/chinese dialect speakers in Irvine? Aliso Viejo?

I am an Irvine resident, and am Hong Kong Chinese. I am half Hakka and half Cantonese (Toisan), but I only speak standard Cantonese and Mandarin.

I notice that at Northwood High School, while there are 17% chinese (see CST results for NHS,) most of them are Taiwanese. The majority of the remainder is Mainland Chinese. Thus, only 1/6 of the Chinese there are from Cantonese-speaking families. Out of those 1/6, only 1/6 can speak fluent Cantonese. Thus, only 0.463% of the student body speaks Cantonese! That would be 9-10 people for the entire school!

Most people at NHS have never heard of Cantonese, and Cantonese is often mistaken as Vietnamese or Korean by people, including Chinese. (I am a native speaker of Cantonese, and have a Hong Kong accent, not a Vietnamese Chinese accent.)

This low ratio can be attributed to the fact that only about 25% of the Chinese at NHS can speak Chinese fluently; most of the Chinese are second generation, and for the most part, only immigrants can speak fluently. The literacy rate for Chinese stands at a whopping 20%! (That includes me, and that is a high estimate!)

I am one of those 10, and personally I only know 2 other fluent Cantonese speakers. I asked several of my classmates, selecting mostly Chinese, and all of them said they didn't know anyone who spoke Cantonese besides me. I am interested in learning Hokkien (Taiwanese), Teochew, or Shanghainese (they sound funny). Hakka perhaps, as my ancestors are Hakka.

Does anyone know where I can go to learn other Chinese dialects?
Where are the largest concentrations of dialect speakers? I wonder if there are actually more Hokkien (Taiwanese) speakers than Cantonese speakers.

Is this low Cantonese/Chinese proficiency universal in Irvine? Its high schools?

What about Aliso Viejo? Anyone there who can tell me how many Mandarin/Chinese dialect/Cantonese speakers? More Chinese than Irvine? In Irvine, the largest Asian ethnicity is Chinese; they comprise 1/3 of the Asians. Asians compose 39% of the population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post

China is probably your best bet.

Irvine is a poor choice of a place to go if your goal is to learn a lot of Chinese dialects.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:47 PM

4,995 posts, read 4,990,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post

San Gabriel Valley

Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 PM

167 posts, read 552,431 times
I know the Taiwan Center in Rosemead, CA (outside of Irvine and outside of Orange County, but in LA County) has Taiwanese (Hokkien) language classes on Saturdays. As for Teochew (Chaochow) or Shanghainese, I am not sure. Perhaps do a search on meetup.com They have all sorts of language meetups or go to a Teochew or Shanghainese restaurant and ask the people in the restaurant if they know of any language classes teaching these dialects.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 PM

255 posts, read 241,546 times
What I was asking, really, is

Where in Orange County is it best to learn Chinese dialects? Does Aliso Viejo have more Chinese in general? Does it have more Chinese dialect speakers; speakers of Cantonese, Hokkien, etc?

I cannot imagine a place with fewer Cantonese speakers than Irvine! Only three (3) in a school of 2,000!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,512,474 times
Try Little Saigon, lots of them can speak Cantonese & Vietnamese, Ive seen quite a few that are ethnic Chinese that speak both languages

Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM

1,340 posts, read 829,663 times
What's wrong with assimilating into mainstream American culture and just speaking English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County