U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 AM

46 posts, read 136,671 times

Advertisements

My 71 year old mom, myself (43), my friend and her 16 year old daughter are all moving to CA in the next few months. We were set on San Luis Obispo b/c it has reasonable rental prices, good air quality, low crime rates, it is horse country, community oriented, by the ocean, smaller in population, low earthquake risk and has not too ostentatious a population of people.

Here's the rub though...My friend's daughter LIVES for her All Star cheer squad. We need to find a community (hopefully that lies within an hour-or-so drive) to a good squad. Is it possible to find a community that has the characteristics of SLO but closer to LA?

And just some other facts: jobs are not of issue, rental prices are DEFINITELY an issue, San Diego is not an option and no cheering for a school is not an option either (these all star squads are competition teams doing dangerous lifts, tumbling and gymnastics within a tight team setting).

Thanks so much for any help you can give. Even if it is recommending other towns/areas you believe could be like SLO and have nothing to do w/cheer. I welcome your feedback.

Last edited by deniseld; 04-03-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,700,958 times
I live in Orange County (Rancho Santa Margarita), and it's a great community. We have tons of all star cheer teams down here. In fact my 16 year old's team is competing in a couple weeks at the American Showcase Nationals in Anaheim. She LOVES the team, and I can recommend a couple places/gyms if you message me...

Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM

296 posts, read 996,855 times
I live in Rancho Santa Margarita too and am always hearing about cheer competitions. There are alot in Orange County. I would say this area has all the points you're looking for (including horse country, I ride!), except for ocean proximity... although it's not too far of a drive at all. Hope you find a place you all love

Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseld View Post
My 71 year old mom, myself (43), my friend and her 16 year old daughter are all moving to CA in the next few months. We were set on San Luis Obispo b/c it has reasonable rental prices, good air quality, low crime rates, it is horse country, community oriented, by the ocean, smaller in population, low earthquake risk and has not too ostentatious a population of people.

Here's the rub though...My friend's daughter LIVES for her All Star cheer squad. We need to find a community (hopefully that lies within an hour-or-so drive) to a good squad. Is it possible to find a community that has the characteristics of SLO but closer to LA?

And just some other facts: jobs are not of issue, rental prices are DEFINITELY an issue, San Diego is not an option and no cheering for a school is not an option either (these all star squads are competition teams doing dangerous lifts, tumbling and gymnastics within a tight team setting).

Thanks so much for any help you can give. Even if it is recommending other towns/areas you believe could be like SLO and have nothing to do w/cheer. I welcome your feedback.
taraox, Thank you. Rancho Santa Margarita is wonderful however it is more expensive than SLO...unfortunately!!!!! We are able to find 4 bedroom homes in SLO for $1800/mo...so rent is definitely the first major consideration for us b/c after all we have to be able to live there financially. This is why I need advice and help from knowledgeable people like yourself. Thank you again.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM

538 posts, read 1,657,156 times
[quote= San Diego is not an option and no cheering for a school is not an option either (these all star squads are competition teams doing dangerous lifts, tumbling and gymnastics within a tight team setting).[/QUOTE]

I am a little confused. Is your friend's daughter looking for a non-competitive All-Star squad? If that is the case you will not want to be in Southern California (RSM). I have had two daughter's in cheer/song and it is very competitive here.
And you are right it is also more expensive than SLO. I know there are All Star teams up in that area, we have competed against them. I think there may be some inland from SLO. I would google All Star Cheer Teams around that area.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I am a little confused. Is your friend's daughter looking for a non-competitive All-Star squad? If that is the case you will not want to be in Southern California (RSM). I have had two daughter's in cheer/song and it is very competitive here.
And you are right it is also more expensive than SLO. I know there are All Star teams up in that area, we have competed against them. I think there may be some inland from SLO. I would google All Star Cheer Teams around that area.
Thank you for your input! My friend's daughter LOVES the competition squads. That's her "thing". I recently received some amazing input on the town of Petaluma up state. It sounds amazing and at only an hour outside of San Fran (where I assume there are a lot of good cheer squads) might be a terrific fit. What is your take on Petaluma?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,847,374 times
My two oldest compete on Pacific Coast Magic at Oso and the 5. There is also OC All Stars in RSM. I am pretty sure they are the two biggest in South OC.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,847,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My two oldest compete on Pacific Coast Magic at Oso and the 5. There is also OC All Stars in RSM. I am pretty sure they are the two biggest in South OC.
Just adding some info....PCM moved a little north to near Bake and the 5 so we now go to Cal Elite Cheer in RSM.

This cheer thing is insane. I can't believe how popular it is and how frenzied up the girls get. If I had a spare million, I think I'd open a cheer facility. The demand is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County