U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 PM

170 posts, read 230,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I just snorted diet coke all over my suit. Was that intentional? I never considerd exposing myself to people to get dates. Won't you get arrested?

"I'm fit, attractive, educated and I'd like to think a good person, but you will never find me out at bars, but you will find me at the beach or climbing... there are more out there like me (trying not to "toot" my own horn here)."

Do you go to the beach and expose yourself to women? I hate to tell you this but that knd of behaviour is not lilkely to go over very well in Iowa.

(I can never think of Iowa without laughing about the name of their convenience store/gas station chain)

Climbing? Trees? Rocks? Social Climbing? The latter would fit right into the N.B. stereotype.

You are correct though, there are lots of native born and bred gals who are just as wholesome as Iwoa gals. They just have to be located. They are sometimes well hidden amongst the stereotypical ladies. To use Iowa terminology, it is kinda like pulling weeds to find the sprouting corn.

Hmm... clearly you and I have a different interpretation of what the word "expose" means. I suppose I could go around exposing myself to women, but since I'm straight I doubt it would happen, being that I am a woman.

I think you may know more about Iowa than I do, I don't know this corn reference, however I do find the local "**** and Split's" to be mildly entertaining.

I'm hoping that you are just attempting to be incredibly sarcastic, because otherwise your comments are a little bit on the stereotypical "NB douche bag man-boy" that is wearing a suit while drinking diet coke.

I was trying to be helpful, but then again, I'm just a stereotypical Laguna Beach social climbing gold-digger with a family that has a penchant for corn.

Damn... where is my bag of pig jokes?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM

231 posts, read 729,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindikator View Post
Greetings all,

I'm from Michigan and have just been given the opportunity to work remotely for my company. I am considering moving Newport Beach for several reasons but mainly for the weather. One of my main concerns is meeting new people/the quality of people I will meet (when I say people, I mainly mean woman, I am a 28 yr old single male). The vibe I'm getting about OC is that people are fake and only care about $$$.

Does anyone have experience in the dating scene in Newport Beach/OC? If so, what is to be expected?

I could pretty much move anywhere in the world right now...if anyone has a better suggestion for me, I'm open to hearing! I've considered Australia, Toronto and Texas.

Thanks!
Not sure what you do for a living, even if you are a high earner you will be competing with dudes older than you that will be enticing girls younger then you to join them for a cruise on their boat. Do you own a boat OP?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM

61 posts, read 210,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
Not sure what you do for a living, even if you are a high earner you will be competing with dudes older than you that will be enticing girls younger then you to join them for a cruise on their boat. Do you own a boat OP?
No, I don't own a boat I could buy one and go bankrupt, maybe that will get me a date :P

Honestly Newport Beach is one of the nicest places I've visited...I could move there and try to not worry about dating, just enjoy my life.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM

9,224 posts, read 15,900,219 times
Quote:
No, I don't own a boat I could buy one and go bankrupt, maybe that will get me a date :P

Honestly Newport Beach is one of the nicest places I've visited...I could move there and try to not worry about dating, just enjoy my life.
I guess, but how fun is that? A 28/yr old that cannot hang with the Newporties is probably going to have a terrible time in Newport IMO.

Another issue is when you live in Newport it carries a stigma with it when trying to date outside of Newport. For example girls from San Diego or nearby Long Beach will probably wonder why you are living in such a pretentious place.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 AM

26,415 posts, read 62,653,352 times
I lived in Newport beach at about that age. I brought my own girl though so dating was not an issue. We had fun and met a lot of neat people. We lived in Balboa Villiage which is different than Newport on the Hill. Balboa has a lot of college kids and newcomers, frequently crammed several to a room in expensive apartments and condos. Some of the shop and bar owners are great people as well. It is not all plastic pertenders (those people mostly live up on the hill, not on the peninsula), however there are a lot of them and the "dating scene is mostly plastic). Our friends were mostly from other places (Costa Mesa, Orange, Laguna, Long Beach, even LA but we made some friends in town. We had a great time living there . Once we got married and expected kids we did nto wnay ot live int eh madhouse anymore, but it was really fun until then.

Winter time is better than summer. IN the winter, Balboa is like a small town. In the summer, it is crazy. Packed all the time, freinds donto want ot visit becuase thre is not parking. Still it is a great place to live.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM

72 posts, read 381,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
TRUTH.

This is most obvious when you drive into the Newport Beach Apartment complexes. Where you will see all the fancy BMW's, Benzo and even Lambo's parked out front 1 bedroom apartments overlooking the PCH or Jamboree LOL. It's a sad sad place.

With all of the money these men spend on expensive cars just to get a woman, wouldn't it be cheaper for them to fly overseas to get a woman?

What are you going to do with a sports car that can be driven 220 mph? You can not drive that fast on our freeways (if you drive over 85 mph, you will get a ticket), and we do not have the autobahn like Germany does.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:11 PM

26,415 posts, read 62,653,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpEngineer View Post
With all of the money these men spend on expensive cars just to get a woman, wouldn't it be cheaper for them to fly overseas to get a woman?

What are you going to do with a sports car that can be driven 220 mph? You can not drive that fast on our freeways (if you drive over 85 mph, you will get a ticket), and we do not have the autobahn like Germany does.
Well if you get out in the desert, it is sometimes autobahn like. Drive up to lancaster sometime. Part of the route if you go under 100 in the fast lane, you are asking to get rear ended.

Someone posted that the average speeds on LA area freeways (including OC) is 17 MPH. Driving a manual transmission sports car in stop and go traffic is really unpleasant (done it). But if you ever need to drive to Sacramento or Las Vegas in a hurry, it might be useful. Not much traffic nor speed control out by bakerfield or the middle of the desert. However those fancy sports cars vaporize their drivers and other dirvers and passengers on a somewhat regular basis. On the positive side, the 220 MPH sports cars ensure you do not have to pay for a coffin from your estate.

Notwithstanding that I would like a sport car that will go 220 if they were not so absurdly expensive. I am not goint to drive 220 except at a track, but it is not the top speed that makes them fun, it is getting to 60 or 80 that is fun (on the two occaisions a year where traffic will allow).

Some guys woudl say they are nto the ones who created the need for the fancy sports cars, it is the woemn who will only jump into a fancy sports car that created the need for guys to have fanc sports cars.

Some people will say that if they go overseas to get a woman, they will not be able to understand them. I do not see the difference. I live with four women and I am frequently at a loss to understand them.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM

101 posts, read 235,678 times
Quote:
The vibe I'm getting about OC is that people are fake and only care about $$$.
Its all true. I'd try one of the other places.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM

5,847 posts, read 10,986,301 times
There old school newport of families that have been there for many generations who tend to be genuine, gregarious and generous. These are the people you want to find and hang out with. They accept you on your merit and character, not which car your drive or what you have in your financial portfolio.

The there is new money newport. You find these people living in Newport Coast. They tend to be Insular, cliquish and snobby.

At the bottom end of the totem pole are the over leveraged "30k-a-year-millionaires". Leased Mercedes. Generally jackanapes and poseurs.

The best way to view these different types of people is to visit Blackies on the Beach on a friday or Saturday night. The locals will already be their (and close the place down). Then the Coasties come, stay for an Hour or so, followed by the obnoxious wannabees.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:06 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,008,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
There old school newport of families that have been there for many generations who tend to be genuine, gregarious and generous. These are the people you want to find and hang out with. They accept you on your merit and character, not which car your drive or what you have in your financial portfolio.

The there is new money newport. You find these people living in Newport Coast. They tend to be Insular, cliquish and snobby.

At the bottom end of the totem pole are the over leveraged "30k-a-year-millionaires". Leased Mercedes. Generally jackanapes and poseurs.

The best way to view these different types of people is to visit Blackies on the Beach on a friday or Saturday night. The locals will already be their (and close the place down). Then the Coasties come, stay for an Hour or so, followed by the obnoxious wannabees.
Blackies? Spent more than my fair share of time there after catching some waves between 15th and 19th. It's one of the last few true surf/local dives but be prepared for lot's of country music. You gotta love a place where the former OC sherriff all dolled up in cowboy boots routinely gets so drunk he forgets where he parked his truck. Personally the various times I lived in Newport I headed down to Laguna..places like Ocean Ave.LB Brewery, Henneseys..Outside of a few random places left..Newport Beach is generic anywhere California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or