U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,807,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
you....it......just......takes......time.........

Orange County, especially anywhere near the water, is expensive and there is a lot of stress to keep going in order to make house payments, pay bills, make sure homework is done, get one kid to soccer, the other kid to math tutor, rush and get groceries, entertain clients or the boss and be home for the paino lesson...it's a fast-paced life....people don't necessarily mean to be rude.....they are good underneath, trust me. I lived in south Orange County for over 25 years and just retired to CO. last May...one really doesn't know what a fast-paced life one has led until one goes to a slower, more laid back area......we don't watch the grass grow here but let's just say it takes me 45 minutes to get to the Lexus dealer and Costco.....
Sounds like the opposite of the "laid back" description many people like to give to this area's residents. My first impression was that there were a lot of Type A's who seemed to always be wheeling and dealing and high acheiving. People are in a rush to get groceries, while I like to leisurely browse each aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
OK OK. Like I say, I really like living here. We've met nice people and Irvine (where we live) is a really nice place. There's a lot of good points in here but I think the one about autonomy is spot on. I certainly don't go about saying "well this was better in Britain" I'm not that type of person. Although tea is much better back home (just a joke :-)). I think the people we really find unfriendly are 30+ moms who treat you like you are about to steal their kids if you so much as talk to them. I'm not an OC hater. I think it's a great place I was just interested to hear what people think.
Irvine...that explains it. There are lots of nice places in Irvine, lots to see and do there, but I don't care for its residents when I'm out and about at these places. The kids wear Heelies shoes everywhere, not just at parks, even at stores and get in the way. Parents just let them skate away from the family and into everyone's way as if it was an ice rink. These kids are so spoiled, so it wouldn't surprise me if their moms weren't very down to Earth.
Irvine has a lot of college students too, who are rather busy and caught up with that whole scene.
Irvine also has lots of foreigners who struggle with English, so that may be another reason for the lack of interaction, if they're not confident that they could communicate with you because they're much more comfortable with their mother tongue, so they'd rather hang out with others who speak their language.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
in OC people "with money" (sarcastic) tend to be arrogant and litigious. Most of them are posers making 7-10k/month mortgage payments, have leased cars and virtually not owning anything. Women in heir 40s and 50s dressing and acting like their teen daughters, men exploited by their overly agressive wives working 60 hours /week to keep up with the Jonses.
People with real money are people with old money and you really never see them.
In my opinion their borderline nasty atitude OP is talking about is from their poor quality of life. Working long hours and trying to keep up with the huge bills every month is not fun.
Aggression isn't a very feminine trait. Those husbands are wusses who didn't choose their wives too well.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 AM

590 posts, read 1,066,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Irvine...that explains it. There are lots of nice places in Irvine, lots to see and do there, but I don't care for its residents when I'm out and about at these places. The kids wear Heelies shoes everywhere, not just at parks, even at stores and get in the way. Parents just let them skate away from the family and into everyone's way as if it was an ice rink. These kids are so spoiled, so it wouldn't surprise me if their moms weren't very down to Earth.
Irvine has a lot of college students too, who are rather busy and caught up with that whole scene.
Irvine also has lots of foreigners who struggle with English, so that may be another reason for the lack of interaction, if they're not confident that they could communicate with you because they're much more comfortable with their mother tongue, so they'd rather hang out with others who speak their language.
Oh those damn sneakers!,, I never hesitate to stop a kid who nearly knocks me over. And agree that their moms are mostly clueless

Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Oh those damn sneakers!,, I never hesitate to stop a kid who nearly knocks me over. And agree that their moms are mostly clueless
Wait'll you see them with the motorized version I'm designing.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 AM

240 posts, read 515,297 times
Southern Californians are a very nice and friendly people, albeit in a distant & superficial way. Not the greatest conversationalists amongst Americans in general, they're invariably polite & courteous almost to a fault ...as if to make-up for the otherwise lack of sociability.

Being a transplanted NY'er myself, I attribute this to a certain degree of social awkwardness on behalf of Southern Californians who really don't get a chance to interact with each other on a day to day basis, other than in a business and/or commercial setting. They lack the practice that makes perfect and the car-based culture doesn't do much to promote social interaction either. Also for all its alleged 'diversity', OC is really dominated by just 3 major ethnic groups; Hispanic, Asian and White. These groups tend to socialize mostly with each other and patronize stores & businesses that cater specifically to their particular ethnic tastes.

I remember exchanging travel anecdotes in NYC once with a British tourist who had just come from a prolonged stay in Orange County. He described it as being the "most shallow, materialistic and conformist" place he had ever seen. I have to admit that it took me many years of living here to discover that although there's certainly something to be said in favor of the Englishman's assessment, there's also a lot to be said in favor of O.C.

Here are some:
-I know of few places in the entire WORLD where drivers will actually brake in the middle of the street to let a pedestrian finish crossing, sometimes even when the car has the right of way!
-You'll practically NEVER hear someone blasting their car horn if somebody is slow to start moving at a green light.
-You can leave your property on the sidewalk in most places and come back 24 hours later ..and it'll probably still be there! If it isn't ..then someone probably turned it in to the local cops lost & found dept!
-Racial tension is practically non-existant. The Hispanic population of mostly Mexican extraction is extremely hard-working, polite & friendly. Likewise the Asian community. African-Americans are perhaps the only major ethnic group that is currently under-represented in Orange County.
-Personal Safety: You can basically walk most parts of OC at any time of the day OR night without any problems.
-Local government corruption is minimal compared to most major East Coast cities, but unfortunately several police depts in Southern CA have been featured in the national news lately for egregious violations of human & civil rights.

Hey, you can't win 'em ALL!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 AM

240 posts, read 515,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
I grew up on the East Coast. It took a while for me to fit in here. I realized I couldn't act or talk the same (including what I talked about) if I was going to fit in.
For the most part, people here aren't interested in talking about serious topics.

Another thing. Don't complain about little things. That is is an east coast trait and THAT more than anything will alienate you here.

When in Rome ......
Lol. That is so true!

Unfortunately for native Ny'ers such as myself however, complaining about little things is precisely the way we characteristically initiate social interactions with one another. This fact has even been noted by many sociologists. Southern Californians don't conform to this practice of voicing a complaint or gripe in order to initiate conversation. Much more socially awkward, they'll routinely commit the faux-pas of trying to start a conversation out of the blue when you're not even looking at them or aware that they're addressing you in particular.

You also mentioned that SoCal prefers humorous banter. This is true but only to a point; the humor must be kept very superficial and light. Any joke that relies on double entendre or sophisticated humor will most probably go by unnoticed. This fact is easy to observe when you compare the quality of Southern CA comedians compared side-by-side with ones from the East Coast.

I have to admit that in 13 years of visiting & living in OC I've never made a single friend, and for a time that fact scared me. But then I noticed that whenever I traveled back to the East Coast or outside the U.S. I had no problem at all in meeting & making friends, without actually changing anything about my own behaviour or manner of approaching people. That would seem to indicate to me that it's NOT me that needs to do some changing!
:-)

Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 AM

590 posts, read 1,066,111 times
Re the stopping for pedestrian thing

It actually is the law!

Cars never trump peds

How long have u lived here again?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
Unfortunately for native Ny'ers such as myself however, complaining about little things is precisely the way we characteristically initiate social interactions with one another. This fact has even been noted by many sociologists. Southern Californians don't conform to this practice of voicing a complaint or gripe in order to initiate conversation.
Westerners have long been perceived that way by Easterners. That's where the "strong silent type" image comes from. Westerner = Clint Eastwood, Easterner = George Costanza.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,661,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
-I know of few places in the entire WORLD where drivers will actually brake in the middle of the street to let a pedestrian finish crossing, sometimes even when the car has the right of way!
That might have something to do with the hefty tickets one can receive for not allowing peds right of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or