Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,306 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Me and my husband are struggling to find an apartment in our price range. He must go to college in Costa Mesa for his GI BILL which gives him roughly $2100 per month. I get $590 a month. We have two kids. We're looking for a 2 bedroom to save money.-maybe even swing a 1 bdr but it's so hard to get the approval for that from a landlord with 2 kids. We have no pets. This would be a temporary housing situation anyway until I get back to work (I'm on disability)

What are some areas near by where we should look? We would rather commute than live in a ghetto/crime ridden place. -I'd like to be able to walk around without being eyed up like a piece of chopped meat. We have to consider that it costs $80 to fill our ford explorer up and it only gets 12 mi to the gallon. We can't trade it either at the moment. I don't like the idea of HUD or section 8 either. I'd rather go inland and commute if it would save money.

Maybe I'm asking a lot, lol. But maybe there's some insight here from locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,324,847 times
There's plenty of cheap rentals in Costa Mesa but that's not much to work with if I'm reading correctly that your total income will be $2690/mo. 1/3 of that puts you just under $900/mo for rent which isn't going to happen for more than a studio in a bad area. Forget moving inland to save money. You'll burn up the little rent savings in gas several times over. Maybe you could rent a master bedroom in some old lady's house and share that.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,943,976 times
Costa Mesa has many decent areas that are not ghetto. You can also find decent rentals in Huntington Beach.

My friend is renting a nice small one bedroom, in a nice neighborhood off Wilson Street for $950. Thats about as low as you are going to find anything in OC

Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM

haha...well...it's a nice try I suppose.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 PM

I heard though if I am not mistaken that some landlord will consider your pell grant as an income? That'd be 5500 over a span of 4 months, and then the army gives 1850 back per pell grant, plus a quarterly book stipend.

1375(Pell)+2690(GI plus SSD)+462(Army/Pell)=4527

I mean, It's really not that hard to live below your means. We have no overhead. Just stop eating fast food and buying brand name. We don't watch TV either. So our only dilemma is to give the landlords what they require which is x3 the rent in income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County