Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 07:54 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,277 times

Advertisements

We constantly have great events for the whole family down in Mission Viejo. In June, Mission Viejo hosted the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. It is a great event where residents of MV come together and walk the track at Saddleback College for a whole 24 hours to show how cancer is a 24/7 struggle. Its a ton of fun with games and theme laps and everyone brings tents to spend the night on the track. My son was the main participant and was on his high school's team who raised around $4,000. Not bad for a bunch of high school kids who could be off at the movies. My son wanted to do this for a friend of his who passed away from cancer in December. He made a candle for him and took a picture to give his friend's mom. We just came and stopped by for a little bit to say hi and bring him his sleeping bag and stuff because he spent the night. Here are some photos from the event:

Opening ceremony with the marine battalion that Mission Viejo supports and sponsors
http://www.southocbuzz.com/_upload/gallery/DSC06841-78200864308AM.JPG (broken link)

Games on the grass
http://www.southocbuzz.com/_upload/gallery/DSC06920-78200864412AM.JPG (broken link)

They did a survivor lap which was really nice. Survivors wore purple shirts.
http://www.southocbuzz.com/_upload/gallery/DSC06865-78200864328AM.JPG (broken link)

Life music was played
http://www.southocbuzz.com/_upload/gallery/DSC06844-78200864311AM.JPG (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
[quote=cityx;4471265]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
No gangs in OC except for Santa Ana maybe... Not like LA for sure.

Garden Grove is NOT upper middle class according to OC standards... Good schools, yes, but beautiful it is NOT!

Compared to Sacramento where I live - Garden Grove is totally middle class and Santa Ana would be considered beautiful and very safe. Rancho Santa Margarita would be "off the charts" poshness up this way.
I thought Sacramento was nice...or are you just in a bad neighborhood?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:36 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,026 times
Default Missing OC

[quote=jessemh431;4486611]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I thought Sacramento was nice...or are you just in a bad neighborhood?
Sacramento has a handful of quaint, tree-lined, middle to upper middle class neighborhoods, but those are more the exception than the rule.
The majority of Sacramento (in the city) is rather run-down and crime ridden with plenty of homeless and destitute people milling about. Even the above mentioned "nicer" areas border the worst parts of town by only a few miles. Plus, it's very hot and very smoggy in the summer time.
I'm from Fullerton originally and most of Orange County would be considered paradise compared to Sacramento.
Boy, did I take OC for granted when I lived there!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Okay, tell me, how all these people can afford to live there? I am a professional in Indiana, and I am scraping to get by on over $50K. How can you make it out there?
What kind of professional are you on $50k pa.
As an American you should be ashamed of yourself and as someone said lets get back to the pictures.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:32 PM

160 posts, read 865,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
As an American you should be ashamed of yourself and as someone said lets get back to the pictures.
Wow, are this kind of posts allowed on this forum???

Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
If that comment was meant as being a sardonic response, I barely chuckled. If you were serious then that's a dreadfully pathetic mindset to be in.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:37 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,358 times
[quote=GGCR33PiN;4603570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
LOL@garden grove considerd middle class and santa ana beautiful compared to sacramento? comeon .. i been to SAC town many of time. i was there two weeks ago. its not all bad, plus the crime rates there compared to OC?? yupz.. dats all i gotta say

Garbage Grove, Santa Ana are the worse places in OC. Total dumps.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:25 AM

2 posts, read 10,528 times
Default Orange Country

If you really watch you can find a little bit of his father in him, but mostly he is his own actor, and a good one at that. He's very natural playing a realistic character. His girlfriend is played by Schuyler Fisk (daughter of Sissy Spacek), and she's a very positive, caring California girl. Her character wasn't as strong as Hanks', but she was mainly meant to be more of his sidekick than counterpart. Jack Black was the reason I saw this movie in theaters, and he was as awesome as usual (up until recently, where's he has just been taking whatever is thrown at him seemingly) as the unmotivated stoner older brother Hanks' character Shaun.
------------------
johnsmith

[URL="http://www.treatmentcenters.org/california"]California Treatment Centers[/URL]

Old 08-02-2008, 01:53 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,277 times
Lake Mission Viejo is at its best during summer. All summer long, the lake association holds concerts, movies, shows, etc... at Main Beach. Here are pics from the various concerts from summer 2008.

Residents who own boats cluster near the shore before the concert.

Kina Grannis, a MV resident and CVHS graduate who won the "Crash the Super Bowl" singing contest and appeared on the Super Bowl did an opening act.

Main Beach and the Lawn are literally covered for the concerts

Then the fun starts!

Beating the crowd that will soon pour into the city streets.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 AM

330 posts, read 1,313,826 times
Thumbs down Hard work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illott View Post
Wow...killer2021, is it really necessary to be so negative? No one wants to see pics of gangs and trash...people want to see pics of what has been posted! And if people are able to live in 800k homes while making 100k incomes, so be it...good for them, their hard work has paid off!

"Success always looks easy to those who weren't around while it was being earned"

Not necessarily hard work. Many people cut corners and depend on dumb luck. Maybe they scratched a winning lottery ticket. They were able to afford one of those multi-million $ homes on a cliff in South OC. There are many well educated people here in OC who are underemployed and can barely make ends meet. Times are tough and with 45 million people living in CA, the competition for high paying careers gets tougher all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County