U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM

240 posts, read 251,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think Coldjensens hit it right on the head.

I've only been to South OC in passing over the years and although the landscape is beautiful and there are some good restaurants, I just don't like the sterile manufactured feeling.

North OC has pretty much been my home for a long time and I'm used to it. There are some rough parts but I wouldn't call North OC as a whole "gritty." It's just older. Gritty to me are parts of South LA, Long Beach, Downtown LA and East Hollywood.

Anaheim, Santa Ana, small parts of Fullerton, and parts of La Habra, have some grit, but it's normal. When comparing to South OC, sure you might find some flaws but overall I think North OC has a lot to offer. There's less of a "lifestyle" associated with North OC, because of the working and middle class therein.
I agree that Coldjensens nailed it and so did you Har

I read both your comments and get the same vibes completely whenever visiting or simply driving thru South County. Not to put SC down in any way ..it's still gorgeous. But with all the caveats you both mentioned.

As for grittiness; these is absolutely nothing in all of North OC that compares to the grimey grittiness of NYC or even LA. Nothing.

And I sure hope it stays that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,984,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Seal beach is in northern OC.
Yep, right next to Fullerton

Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Yep, right next to Fullerton

Only if you're also of the opinion that Japan is right next to Tibet

Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 AM

4,951 posts, read 5,729,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
Funny. U only consider info useful if it fits your rather unrealistic goals

For my last time. One of u needs to get a Jon before deciding whether northern ot southern oc is best

You may end uo 500 miles away
She was just asking! That's what this forum is for. Just throwing out questions. Its not a big deal.

And you should proofread your posts to. Because if U have a lot ou errors U won't get a jon.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 AM

590 posts, read 643,250 times
Sorry about the typos. Only when am on my iPad

As for mr needing a job. Not likely at my age....tho my masters in nursing as never left me jobless

Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 AM

517 posts, read 913,913 times
Interesting some people consider North Orange county to be a bit lower class than South Orange County... wasn't it just a year or two ago that Yorba Linda was considered the most affluent community under 200k people in the entire country? BTW, Newport Beach was 3rd on that same list.

It's all preference though. South OC may be newer, but you couldn't pay me to put up with all the B.S. from an HOA not to mention all of those newer houses have absolutely tiny yards. I'd rather have a house built in the 60s or 70s, in an established good neighborhood, with a good sized yard. With the exception of a one or two small areas, Fullerton, Placentia, Yorba Linda are all nice places and where I'd move to if I moved back to OC. Brea on the other hand, while nice, has a lot of jerks in it... it always has.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM

224 posts, read 217,146 times
I think this is all subject to opinion and everyone has theirs. I prefer south OC to north OC, hands-down. For me, it feels more laid-back, less "trafficky," more visually appealing, closer to better beaches (IMO), better shopping, etc. Sure the "Truman Show" feel of the area isn't wonderful-- I do wish the homes had more character, BUT with that comes newer facilities and ameneties that older communities do not have. Again, up to the individual whether or not this a) matters or b) is even a detriment.

I will comment on Yorba Linda being more affluent than Newport Beach. Really?! I guess appearances CAN be deceiving. If I've got money, I'm choosing Newport, but again... subject to opinion

Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM

200 posts, read 265,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

By the way, there are a lot of foreclosures in North OC, but I am not sure which has more.

North OC has more people who really could nto afford a home to begin with and South OC has more people who bought more home than they can really afford. There might be some statistics out there as to which has more foreclosures.
Distressed listings heaviest in So. County foothills - Lansner on Real Estate : The Orange County Register

Portola Hills was tops at 75% of its listings as foreclosures being resold by banks or short sales by owners; followed by Rancho Santa Margarita at 68.9% of listings; then came Ladera Ranch at 66.7% of listings.

Fewest? Corona Del Mar was low at 3.8%; followed by Seal Beach at 5.2% of listings; and Laguna Woods at 7.6% of listings.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpal View Post
Distressed listings heaviest in So. County foothills - Lansner on Real Estate : The Orange County Register

Portola Hills was tops at 75% of its listings as foreclosures being resold by banks or short sales by owners; followed by Rancho Santa Margarita at 68.9% of listings; then came Ladera Ranch at 66.7% of listings.

Fewest? Corona Del Mar was low at 3.8%; followed by Seal Beach at 5.2% of listings; and Laguna Woods at 7.6% of listings.
The stats you cite are completely & totally unreliable. Banks are currently hiding distressed properties in order to artificially boost RE prices and avoid booking their massive losses, especially in the nicer areas of OC.
Visit local blogs like 'Dr HousingBubble' to get a feel for what's really happening.

Both Lansner and the OCRegister are paid stooges of the NAR and they've been lying about RE in OC for years.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM

200 posts, read 265,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuyOC View Post
The stats you cite are completely & totally unreliable. Banks are currently hiding distressed properties in order to artificially boost RE prices and avoid booking their massive losses, especially in the nicer areas of OC.
Visit local blogs like 'Dr HousingBubble' to get a feel for what's really happening.

Both Lansner and the OCRegister are paid stooges of the NAR and they've been lying about RE in OC for years.
Really doesnt matter distressed means that the property is bank owned or is being short sold...At the end of the day there is a high percentage of distressed properties in the South County foothills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County