U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM

25 posts, read 43,067 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband are wanting to relocate to oc next year and are looking at different areas at the moment. I wanted some views on north oc versus south oc as I have heard mixed things on both. We have a 2 year old so needs to be great for kids with good schools and not too far from the beach (max 40mins away).

Also what areas in both would you recommend

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM

590 posts, read 643,250 times
First get a job. Then decide where to live.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the non useful advice

Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM

15,819 posts, read 31,771,034 times
South OC is newer. It is generally cleaner and safer and generally tends to have better schools (not in every case, but in general). Except for Beach Cities and San Juan Capistrano, every South OC city is essentially identical. It is a vast sea of matching cookie cutter homes, strip malls, chain stores, shopping malls and a few clusters of office and light industrial buildings. There are no downtowns, no variety and the architecture is generally bland and without merit. It is family oriented in that there are lots of pocket parks, play grounds, and trails. You will find a lot of families living in both north or south OC. Only a few communites are mostly older people (some only allow older people - Liesure world for example; a few areas are so high end exclusive, that mostly people without kids can afford them.); and very few are young pre-family locales (Balboa Villiage in Newport Beach and part of Fullerton are the only places I can think of).

North OC is older. It tends to be a bit more edgy. You have a greater variety of income levels and people. There are a lot more Hispanic people living in North OC. The towns tend to be older, more defined and less blended together. You have distinct communities (somewhat) instead of a vast sea of suburbia. A few towns have a small downtown area. There is generally a stornger snense of community becuase the communities are more different and more defined. People tend to pull together a bit more becuase they need to. There are problems and concerns that have to be addressed. Most North OC cities have slightly higher crime rates than most south OC cities, but the difference is miniscule. OC is not a crime place. South OC does not allow poverty of any form, so anyone who does not have a lot of money has to go live in North OC. North OC tends to have a greater variety of acrhitecture and has more buildings and homes with architectural and/or historical merit. With exceptions schools are not quite as good as your typical SOuth OC school system and some cities (Santa Ana for example) have mostly terrible schools (however you can find exceptions). North OC tends to have fewer rules. South OC has tons of rules, (and usually more taxes and fees). Few neighborhoods in North OC have CC& Rs; few in South OC do not have them.

North OC is often described as more real or edgy and south OC as cleaner, nicer, but more plastic. South OC tends to have a materialistic, me first and unusually competitive vibe. Lots of keep up with the Jonses. Noth OC has it too, but not as the prevailing atmosphere.

Which is better depends on you. You could not pay me enough to live in South OC. However many people love the conforming lifestyle and I understand the appeal, it just does nto appeal to me. Many people would not live in North OC as long as there was a South OC to live in instead. It seems that more people in numbers find South Oc appealing than find North OC appealing, but in either case, the people who like one, generally strongly dislike the other (not dislike the people, just the place and the lifestyle).

You are hard pressed to find any place in OC that is more than 40 minutes from the beach, except during peak hours of the summer when anyplace can be more than 40 minutes.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-01-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks for that info really useful

Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM

590 posts, read 643,250 times
Funny. U only consider info useful if it fits your rather unrealistic goals

For my last time. One of u needs to get a Jon before deciding whether northern ot southern oc is best

You may end uo 500 miles away

Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,984,552 times
In general, northern and western OC are known for established suburbs built in 60s 70s and 80s, mostly. The communities are well established and have been effected much less by the housing crisis as far as occupancy and foreclosure goes, part of this is because effective property taxes are much less in these areas. Southern OC is newer(80s 90s 00s), has much higher property taxes in general, and you're much more likely to have an HOA(and the added costs associated).

There are great family oriented communities in both areas. Realistically, depends on what you want out of your city and your house. Materialism seems to be a south OC issue, but I've never seen anyone ostracized for not having an Escalade with 20s

Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 PM

240 posts, read 251,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
In general, northern and western OC are known for established suburbs built in 60s 70s and 80s, mostly. The communities are well established and have been effected much less by the housing crisis as far as occupancy and foreclosure goes,
I disagree completely with the second sentence above.

North Orange county is rife with houses that were purchased by sub-prime borrowers, particularly in the $300-450K range. Many of these people stopped making payments years ago and have still not been evicted from the properties because banks are hiding distressed inventory.

If you go see short sales (as I have) you'll notice that almost every property has been used to create income by renting-out individual rooms to outside tenants. On my block alone there are at least 5 properties that are clearly overcrowded by such occupiers, their multiple cars spilling out into the surrounding streets. If you do a Google aerial view of North County you'll notice hundreds of swimming pools that are either empty or full of stagnant green water ..a clear sign of a distressed property.

The fact is that properties in Southern California are massively over-priced in relation to local actual salaries & earnings. I'd dare venture that over half of all 'homeowners' (actually they're only debt-owners) in OC probbably could not afford the house they're living in without committing some sort of mortgage fraud.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Also how far is riverside county from oc and from la and is it a nice area

Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM

240 posts, read 251,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire31 View Post
Also how far is riverside county from oc and from la and is it a nice area

The question is not so much 'how far is RC from OC' but rather 'how hard is it to get there'?

The only practical freeway connecting OC to Riverside is the 91 which -unless you're using the expensive Toll Road option- is a Living Nightmare Commute from Hell. RC and LA are much better connected amongst themselves thanks to the 60 & 10 Fwy's.

Is it a nice area? Depends on what you call 'nice'. I can tell you objectively that it is normally 10 degrees (or more) hotter than OC in the summer and that the air quality there is also not that great, again especially in the summer. Getting to the beach is a two hour ordeal on most days. There is not much employment to be had in the area beyond entry level & customer service jobs mostly.

On the upside; properties are much more affordable & usually larger in Riverside County and in the cooler months it's really very nice. Many people keep horses, a practice that in Orange County itself is clearly on the wane outside of Yorba Linda, Orange and parts of Fullerton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County