U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 PM

55,572 posts, read 74,447,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I never said I had no intention of using it, just that I wouldn't shoot if he ran away. I'm now repeating myself, so it's time to back away for awhile.
good idea. if you let the crazy man who is smashing cars walk away its called cowardice, a termination offense for a police officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM

225 posts, read 413,831 times
People are defending the police saying Thomas was not doing what the police said.

He was schizofrenic and on drugs. He was unable to comply what he was told.
He was mentally out of it.

The police should have been able to subdue him with strength.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM

119 posts, read 131,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u told me what u would not do, now tell me what u would do.
Gain control of the situation and handcuff the suspect. A suspect resisting arrest does not justify excessive force. Keep the suspect on the ground, handcuffed, 'till he calms down. In this case they hit Kelly Thomas multiple times in the face, sat on him and tased him 5 times which resulted in a coma and later death. There were 5 police officers twice his size on the scene. If you learn nothing from this you're unfit to walk the streets and will end up in prison.

Some believe non-lethal weapons are actually non-lethal, some even with proper training. Non-lethal weapons should be used in self defense or as a necessity to prevent serious harm to a third party in extreme situations, not to make arresting suspects convenient and effortless. Stephen Coleman has an excellent talk on Ted about the moral dangers of non-lethal weapons.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
People are defending the police saying Thomas was not doing what the police said.

He was schizofrenic and on drugs. He was unable to comply what he was told.
He was mentally out of it.

The police should have been able to subdue him with strength.
It doesn't matter if he was schizophrenic or/and on drugs or just flat out refusing. There are no licenses to kill for police officers. There was no need to use this amount of force on Kelly Thomas. If police officers truly believe this was the best way of dealing with the situation they are not trained properly or should not be in the police in the first place.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM

730 posts, read 1,665,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidee View Post
It doesn't matter if he was schizophrenic or/and on drugs or just flat out refusing. There are no licenses to kill for police officers. There was no need to use this amount of force on Kelly Thomas. If police officers truly believe this was the best way of dealing with the situation they are not trained properly or should not be in the police in the first place.
Just think, if he hadn't used drugs and had no respect for authority, and resisted the efforts of multiple officers to subdue him with no0n lethal force, etc, he would still be alive.

It comes close to qualifying as suicide.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,609,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Just think, if he hadn't used drugs and had no respect for authority, and resisted the efforts of multiple officers to subdue him with no0n lethal force, etc, he would still be alive.

That is a twisted sense of logic riding on slippery slopes.

Did you even watch the video?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post

The whole problem arise when you believe non-lethal weapons (not force. He died, remember?) as a tool to subdue a suspect when it's not a necessity or as a means to keep him from walking away.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,688,174 times
Sounds like his death was caused by physical trauma more than the "non-lethal" stuff: Medical records show that bones in his face were broken and he choked on his own blood.[3] The coroner concluded that compression of the thorax made it impossible for Thomas to breathe normally and deprived his brain of oxygen.[4]

Death of Kelly Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM

459 posts, read 604,293 times
It was very much overkill (sadly literal term). We all knew it and each time I saw the video I saw just complete over-reaction and unnecessary violence. There's a point, yes, that he was mentally unstable, but that gives further reason to NOT use force.

Another poster said it perfectly: if said cops thought that was the correct way to approach the situation, they weren't fit to be cops.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,688,174 times
Alert the press. I agree with the above poster on something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County