U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM

484 posts, read 877,700 times

Advertisements

On a related note: The Phoenix market is looking to be almost "hot" again.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...s-tanking.html

Note: misleading title
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,154,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Even if you assumed a friendly 4%, bubbles always over correct, and we're also assuming that there is normal employment. But most importantly we're also assuming there is wage inflation of at least 4% per year as well since incomes are one of the primary factors that determine what any individual can afford.

I think those assumptions would be flawed, making the "4% inflation back to normal" model flawed as well (IMO).
Look how much the 1990 bubble over corrected relative to the 4% line and that bubble and recession were nothing compared to this one.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,585,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Look how much the 1990 bubble over corrected relative to the 4% line and that bubble and recession were nothing compared to this one.
Exactly, and that graph is assuming a fairly pretty picture of 4% per year. If you assume even a half to one percent lower...

Additionally, during the 1990s bubble which I went through as a young newly married grad, there weren't as many government props having such an effect on the market. No FED pumping money into the failed banking system, no artificially low rates, no HAMP/HARP, artificially constrained supply, and definitely no looming global banking crisis. The downside to housing that exist right now is simply overbearing, like a boulder above buyers heads that is supported by fishing line. Our government has turned this rigged market into a carnival game. The best way not to lose your hat is to not participate.

To say that real estate prices in LA/OC, or the SF Bay Area are back to "normal" is to purposefully put one's head into the sand and ignore all the factors that could potentially sink real estate prices even more. Scary, I know.

But simply look at where prices are now, and where wages are. Do people think it's feasible to buy a $750,000 SFH in Irvine with a $120,000 income? Even with 20% down, the risk would be enormous.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:

To say that real estate prices in LA/OC, or the SF Bay Area are back to "normal" is to purposefully put one's head into the sand and ignore all the factors that could potentially sink real estate prices even more. Scary, I know.

But simply look at where prices are now, and where wages are. Do people think it's feasible to buy a $750,000 SFH in Irvine with a $120,000 income? Even with 20% down, the risk would be enormous.
I think to some degree, the numbers are being skewed by new money coming into the market that won't be reflected in the local incomes. I would be curious to know what percentage of people who've owned their homes for more than 10 years in LA/OC/SF could afford to buy their house at current market prices.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM

26,345 posts, read 85,983,539 times
Quote:

People are still buying them though. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of buyers. This discussion has popped up here before....the $120K median income for Irvine and the five or six times median house price. It's unusual but it continues. Yes, the prices continues to drop (about 5% a year in the past two years for SFR in Irvine). I don't have an explanation.

Homes for Sale in 92626 | Redfin

Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 PM

26,345 posts, read 85,983,539 times
Quote:
Even if you assumed a friendly 4%, bubbles always over correct, and we're also assuming that there is normal employment. But most importantly we're also assuming there is wage inflation of at least 4% per year as well since incomes are one of the primary factors that determine what any individual can afford.

I think those assumptions would be flawed, making the "4% inflation back to normal" model flawed as well (IMO).

I admit it isn't perfect and 4% is just an assumption but my point is, the current environment doesn't seem to support continued bubble bursting. It may trickle down for a while but it isn't like we're in 2006 again.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM

What is the average annual change in incomes over the same time period?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 PM

I think if the FED and the powers that be had let the correction take place naturally, and hadn't jumped into the mortgage business full force in 2009 in a futile attempt to prop up the market, here in 2012 we might have a normal, fully corrected market.

Instead we have a Frankenstein created by the most destructive implementation of the ZIRP policy ever seen in U.S history.

Japan tried this too, and you know what? 20 years later prices are back to normal, and guess what? Home prices are still falling.

All these props do is kick the can down the road, further and further. But what we do know is all bubbles eventually correct, and all of them also over correct. We haven't even finished the first part (return to normal).

I'm not going to predict the future of the U.S housing market, but I see a long road of correction if the FED continues down this path, and a lot of pain for the middle class.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What is the average annual change in incomes over the same time period?
I don't have a YOY breakdown from 1980 to 2010, but I do know that wages for the most part are stagnant, while prices of goods are not. As a country we make the same amount of money we did in the 1980s, but pay more for things that we need (food, gas, shelter).

In fact, disposable income for the average U.S citizen is at its lowest point since the Great Depression, and consumer debt is at its highest levels EVER.

Does this sound like all the ingredients for a housing recovery?

Old 05-17-2012, 05:40 PM

494 posts, read 1,702,679 times
Prices longterm track inflation in income, which makes sense. We have not had a 4% steady inflation in income, on the contrary wages have contracted and the job market itself has become more volatile... by this metric home priced should be trending downwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or